1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gold Medal shells light hits

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

In my last two shoots I had two Federal Gold Medal shells fail to fire. They had responded to me and said according to their specs the shell was OK. They enclosed a $25.00, check. This is the only premium factory shells I had any issues with. Just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar problem. I shoot an Infinity, & I can't believe this gun is capable of light hits.

Phil Berkowitz

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Yes, If you look closely at a federal primer, they are much more domed if you will than say a Winchester or Cheddite. The center of the primer cup also appears to be a good bit below flush. I know of several people that only have problems with Federal ammunition in their guns and I attribute it to this.

Jeff

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I shoot new Federal GM Handicap shells, so far since May I have gone through 8 flats without any problems.

I shoot a 682 Gold E.

Curt

4. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

That is all I ever shoot for registered targets...period. I shoot primarily the Gold Medal Paper, but on occasion I have purchased the plastic equivalent from shop or vendors...

I would check the lot number and post it here to see if any others had problems. And against all things being equal, your shotgun may be the problem, from a worm firing pin to a weak spring to crud built up in the firing pin channel; a lot of problems occur in this area of the receiver when dirt throws specs out of standard...

If this problem continues and Federal states the lot was fine and other shooters have not reported problems, than most likely the problem is on your end. Completely disasemble the shotgun and inspect and clean. Fight the idea of putting visible layers of oil on the parts; finger oiling with modern oils is all you need. Oil attract dirt like nothing else. More problems are caused by excessive lubrication with cheap oils than most would suspect...

Good luck and let us know what you discover....

5. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

I guess if you can't believe that your fancy gun is not capable of light hits, it must be nearly impossible to think that the shooter might cause them, eh? WTF ....

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just, removed the trigger & cleaned the firing pin channel. The pin now appears to protruding deeper. Will try & shoot the 3 light hits I had tomorrow, By the way shot hundreds of Winchester AA & Remington STS before cleaning the firing pin channel with no problems,

Phil Berkowitz

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

not too surprising I know of a Mach One that has always had the same problem and has never been fixed to this day.

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

not too surprising I know of a Mach One that has always had the same problem and has never been fixed to this day.

9. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

If any one has any gold metal once fired plastic hulls they would like to sell let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.