1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gold Medal shell problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lance howard, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lance howard

lance howard Member

Does anyone have new info regarding the gold medal case problems? Have they been solved and if so what does one do to be sure they are buying the new case? I do not have any idea how to get lot numbers from Federal that help a shooter buy the right ones. I have only had problems with the 3-7 1/2 loads. The light 8 loads no problem, the handicap dram loads seem to have no problem but I do not use them. I have had several failed cases and have read about numerous problems here on the site. My latest was a nightmare to fix and I will not shoot the remaining shells that I have. Most of the failures that I have experienced have left just the brass in the chamber and the tube has gone out the barrel but this time it stuck in the barrel at the choke. After trying the dowels, various cleaning rods, etc., I finally found a piece of maple in my shop, sawed into a traingle shape and then recut the points of the triangle until they were about a 1/4 wide across the flats. Then I sawed it until it just fit into the muzzle. Then I froze the barrel in a chest freezer overnight and clamped in a vise, started the home made pushrod into the muzzle and poured warm water over the barrel at the spot to expand the barrel a few thousands and the case slid right down the bore. I had sprayed so much penetrating oil in there during previous attempts that it was mighty slick. No damage that I can see. I do not intend to do this again. I bought ten flats at the state shoot last year and had no problems with the first six flats and now three failures in seventh flat. All same lot numbers on the boxes. Tried calling Federal, have not heard back from them. I heard that they were going back to a ribbed style hull but I have no idea if this is true, if so When? Any accurate input would be appreciated. Lance Howard

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Lance

When it happens again, take two or three dimes and insert through the muzzle end. Use a hammer and rod to drive out the hull to the breech.

One of my friends called Federal and was told to "shoot it out". The guy he spoke to must have been an idiot and having a bad day. It speaks badly for their support.

I suspect they know about the problem and have corrected it. This could explain the big deal about introducing the "new" hull. It would have been interesting if one of their sponsored shooters had experience a hull/head separation at a major shoot.

I am using my supply of Federal GM shells/components in practice even though most lot numbers are likely OK. the last thing I need to worry about at a match is having a hull come apart.

Strangely, I have never had or heard of a hull separation on the Top Guns.

Don Verna

3. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Federal will replace the shells if you ask. I asked, and Federal replaced all 10 of my flats at no charge.

Ted K.

4. lance howard

lance howard Member

Don, thanks for the tip. I am sure Federal knew about it but sadly just let us everyday wangers keep on shooting them. I have seen some of the top PITA shooters around here switch to STS or Nitros. They used to shoot the GM but the problems are not worth the hassle. I have used the GM hull since 1983 but I might have to try others. I load the lowly Estates with zero problems 2-3 times but I am afraid to reload the GM hulls I have even once now. Lance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.