1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Going to try a new 1 oz load w/Promo Today

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am going to try a new 1 oz load today in a Rem STS hull, it will be 20 grs
    of Promo 1 oz #7s, Orange WT12 wad, Rio Primer 1310 fps adv. speed.

Going to load 25 of them to try on buddy shoot tonite.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

From what I heard, there will be a significant amout of black residue involved also. Let us now how it turns out. Like you said, you are giving it a try. Jon

3. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Have shot thousands of 1oz/Promo. 20gr. is alot and will have significant recoil. Those 1oz loads will have more recoil than a standard 2 3/4dram 1 1/8. If your goal is to save on lead...OK. If its to make a comfortable shooting shell, you missed the mark. Try about 17.8 -18.2 gns...I think you'll like it better.

4. maka

maka Member

Scale your powder, Promo veries from lot ot lot. 17.5 - 18.00 grains is all you will need. 20 grains will kick like a mule, been there done that. Good Luck.

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I use 17.5 grains in my 1 oz loads and they are plenty fast.

tony

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Doc, anything past 35 yards you are going to blow up your patterns with a 1 ounce load at 1310 f.p.s.

I've got the patterns to prove it. Those #7's won't hold together.

Wayne

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

It looks like you are in the 10k plus range on pressure so the burn should be fairly clean. Watch the RIOs for primer piercing. They have the softest primer cap of all those that I tested and tended to burn through at the firing pin strike at higher pressure levels. Cost me a set of Kolar firing pins so I stopped using them.

--- Chip King ---

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I'm a wuss so I'm shooting 17.5 Promo in a STS case with a genuine Rem TGT wad and 1 oz of good 8's and a Rem primer. Yeh it's a bunny fart load but if I'm pointed in the right direction it breaks them.

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You should know that you can't tell Longsh?t anything.

Don

10. chipking

chipking TS Member

silverbulletexpress BUNNY FART it may be but that is one my favorite loads. I also use DRRT12 or Red Dot in the same formula and it is a great target killer. I freely admit to being a wuss but if I have learned anything in 50 years of shooting anything that would go bang it is that a big boom and a hard kick just ain't needed 99.9% of the time. Grizzlys and Elephants being in the .1% part of the equation.

--- Chip King ---

11. buzzerd bait

buzzerd bait TS Member

I love promo, 18 grns 1 oz #8 got me to a 97.5% avg from the 16.. No complaints just dust.. Jeff

12. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

17.5 grains of Promo is plenty for the 1 oz. load. 20 grains is way too much powder in my opinion. Ed

13. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Gents,
    Ditto with all those guys shooting 17.5 to 18.0 grains with 1 oz. I've been shooting Promo since it first came out....no problems, just check the weights with new lots...AS WITH ALL POWDERS I'D LIKE TO ADD! Truly, those are at or above 1200 fps in most hulls possibly excepting the larger volume Feds and other straight-wall copys. I believe 20 grs. might be well above the accepted pressures we like to adhere to. No reason to do it. If it's velocity you want, load Green Dot or Unique, etc. But do keep shooting, we need everyone we can get in the sport.

Larry A.

14. Dr.Longshot

Well I took those shells to the shoot tonite and passed some around and all said there was not much recoil. And boy did they ink ball the targets.

And There was almost no recoil in them or from my Blaser.

Won the buddy shoots outright with them, me and my partner broke them all.

Did manage to lose some shootoffs though.

After a full night of shooting managed to lose $6.00 Did not get a shot at any of the 3 Blackbirds that were thrown. Last week I won $47.00 on Blackbirds alone.

I will be loading more of them, I liked the speed and performance of the load.
    1310 is only 60 fps faster than a Silver Bullet.

I used both of my preferred chokes, FULL and EXTRA FULL and could not tell the difference, I never patterned them, but I do not think you will get blown patterns at that speed using #7s.

Load 25 of them and go try them out, and see for yourself.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Wayneo... OK prove it...

blown patterns with fast loads.

A lot depends on your bbl config. Other bbls may in fact keep the pellets usable. Your statement is about your bbl experience. Others have differnt bbls andperhaps differnt and better results. I'd bet on that.

And ya know, you may want to prove your point to yourself using different hard shot.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is the amount of money you win directly proportional to the amount of powder you use? HMB

17. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Dr. Longshot, I think you should try 28.5 to 40.5 grains of promo, dont be a sissy. Forget all loading manuals and safe practices, load a man load and please report back to us soon. Larry Lockhart

18. Dr.Longshot

Thyat load is taken right out of the Alliant Reloading Guide and this is a legal load other than the SHOT SIZE, it can go to 1325 fps and still be a legal ATA load.

I wanted to try a few and see how they worked out, some could not believe it was a one ounce load, and frankly I was suprised at the results.

The + side is you get another 44 shells out of a bag of shot.

I did not have buy one ounce wads either, I used the Claybuster Orange WT-12
    wad in the STS hull and got very good crimps.

I also saw the 20/28 powder loads on 1 1/8th with vey low pressures that was mentioned in another post.

I liked this one Remington STS hull/ Win209 Primer/CB3118-12 wad/21.6 grs of powder/8920psi @1250 Fps some of you guys might want to try this load out.

I would but don't want to buy another powder, I will stay with Promo/800-X/
    and of course Longshot.

These loads are in the NEW BLUE Alliant Reloaders guide.

I personally feel the Alliant Pro-Reach powder falls short of the Longshot Powder performance and speeds.

Gary Bryant
    dr.longshot

19. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

It's truly heart warming to see how trap shooters are so willing to offer advice to beginners like LS.

20. Dr.Longshot

HDLLIII: Sent me a PM that I was recomending a dangerous load, I replied to him to look at the new BLUE alliant reloaders guide on page 25 it shows the REM 1 ounce loads with up to 21.5 Grs of Promo, my load is around 9900-10,100
    psi, plus I got a lot of PMs saying they have been loading this load for a long time.

For him to say I am recommending a dangerous load on here is assanine.

He must not read reloading manuals or just does his loading on whims.

I just loaded 200 more of these yesterday, because they worked out so well.

Thank you fellow shooters on your shooting that very same load.

HDLLIII I would appreciate you not reply to any of my threads.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.