1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Going to the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SARGE75X, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Well I dont shoot ATA all that often but I'm going to start this year. Now last year I shot registered, 300 16's and 500 HC. I know, pretty sorry indeed,but I shoot 2 leagues but naturally they're not ATA. So now the big question, "What do I need to do between now and Augest to shoot in the Grand American. I've already been told not to even try the 16's unless I can break 200 straight, which I know I cant as I've never broke 100(99 three times but no 100)or as one of my shooting friends told me "Hold off till October and go to the Fall Handicap in Missouri"

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

They always thank you for comming.. and close by saying "see you again next year".. You'll meet many really great people.. They throw very good targets.. and I like the perfect backround.. Everything s set for you to do well.. Hope it's not to hot.. After the crying.. have you ever heard of ANYONE not having a great time at the GRAND..???? One of my biggest regrets in life was not getting to the Grand before Sparta..
    Go to the GRAND with a positive attitude.. Be prepaired.. have everything right.. Bring plenty of shells.. your pet gun.. and have a good time.. Shoot as well as you can.. but remember.. NO ONE cares how well or poorly you shoot..It's not what you do for a living.. and the economy has reduced or eliminated much needed practice.. I suspect they will drop the target requirements this year..Neil could be of more help here.. I'll be working with Dan at Giacomo's.. The coffee pot will be on.. All Good.. Mike

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

By all means, GO! Plan on having a good time and you will!

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

SARGE75X:

I'll let someone else help with the specific numbers but one thing you should consider is shooting the minimum target requirement to avoid being assigned penalty handicap yardage and penalty classes in singles and doubles.

Otherwise, the best advice has alread been given. Go and have a ball.

sissy : )

5. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Well Yeah Sissy that was what I was getting at,I'm told if I dont have enough targets prior to going I have to shoot in the open division? So how many do I need to shoot in the coming months. X Line Trap Club has a 200/200/200 next month and a local Ikes "Glen Park" is shooting registered in 2 weeks so I guess thats a start.If I can get in 1K 16's and 1K HC would that be good?

6. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

From the 2009 A.T.A. rule book page 39

SECTION XI
    GRAND AND ALL AMERICAN QUALIFICATION

A. GRAND AMERICAN QUALIFICATION

No participant shall be classified to shoot Handicap events at less than 25.0 yards unless he/she has a minimum of 1000 registered Handicap targets in the current year. The 1000 handicap targets must have been registered beginning the first day after the last day of previous Grand American World Trapshooting Championships through the last day of preliminary week of the current Grand American World Trapshooting Championships.

However, participants who fail to meet Grand American
    Handicap qualification as described above shall have the choice of shooting targets only from their assigned yardage provided they waive and forfeit all rights to trophies, options, purses, and added money. Handicap target requirements are waived for Senior Veterans, making them eligible for trophies and monies.

Shooters who do not have a total of 1000 16 yard targets registered beginning the first day after the last day of previous Grand American World Trapshooting Championships through the last day of preliminary week of the current Grand American World Trapshooting Championships will be advanced (1) class or more at the discretion of the Handicap Committee. Shooters with less than 500 registered singles targets will be placed in class B or higher at the discretion on the Handicap Committee.

Shooters who do not have a total of 1000 doubles targets registered beginning the first day after the last day of previous Grand American World Trapshooting Championships through the last day of preliminary week of the current Grand American World Trapshooting Championships will be advanced (1) class or more at the discretion of the Handicap Committee. Shooters with less than 500 registered doubles targets will be placed in class B or higher at the discretion on the Handicap Committee.

Michael Stephenson

7. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Go to the Grand, shoot every event you can, enjoy all the people,vendors and food. The Fall handicap will be just as tough to win and if you don't have the targets the same penalties will be served. GET YOUR TARGETS, you have time......Roger

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I'm going to go this year. First time, ever. After shooting since 1975 I've finally decided to attend. I hope it's not to hot.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Remember..where you stand is only a spot..and on any given day.. if you prepare.. you can rise to the top of your game..

10. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Don't worry about the targets.Just go and have a GRAND time.

Good Luck.

Bocephas

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Go have fun and enjoy your first experience. You can always go back next year, win your class and the GAH. Don't believe everyone who tells you have to break a 200 to win, not your class at least if you are in the lower ones.

Your first Grand is an experience you will never forget.

Don

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Welcome to the sport. Where else can all shoot with the best and even have a chance to beat them. Lifetime of fun and satisfaction. See you there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.