1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

going to the Grand this year first time

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tripod, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

A couple of my friends and I are going to Sparta for our first grand this year. I was looking at lodging possibilities and because i don't know for sure the shooting schedule, I don't know what dates we are going to attend. Does anyone have any advice on where to or not to stay? Lots of small towns around the area but Thought I would ask some of the folks that have gone for some advice. Any advice will be taken and welcomed. Thanks.
    Tripod

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The Grand I thought you were going to Cardinal Center ??

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

there is another thread about Grand Lodging....

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My advice: Avoid the town of Belleville.

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

As I posted in the other thread:

Best bet is around the Fairview Heights/O'Fallon area to the north. Lots of hotels/motels, lots of restaurants. Drive is about 45 miles, approximately 1 hr, down to Sparta.

Other options are Chester and Perryville (MO) to the south, DuQuoin, Pinckneyville, and Nashville to the east. And Red Bud and Waterloo to the west.

Most drives are on the order of 45 minutes to an hour. Traffic is very light.

6. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I have to agree with Miketmx. There is no quality place to stay in Belleville.
    I live in Belleville & am a retired police officer from this town & he is right. There are motels here with fancy names like The Executive Inn, full of low class prostitutes & druggies. Fairview Hts. & O'Fallon are close by & right off of I-64 & those would be my choices. Colonel

7. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Sparta has a Holiday Inn that is new, nice but pricy...and usually booked from year to year. You could get lucky and catch cancellation and get a room.

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

THere is also the old Best Western in Sparta that has now changed names and I can't remember. Don't stay in the one downtown Sparta, so stories go.

9. ramen39

ramen39 Member

We've stayed at Mt. Vernon when we go. We just go for one day though. Its about an hours drive to Sparta but the motel was nice and I think there are several there. BTW It was A holiday inn.
    Roy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.