1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Going to Scottsdale AZ ...place to shoot ????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by big joe, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big joe

big joe Member

Next month I will be in Scottsdale for a week while the girlfriend has a job related class. Any trap raange nearby that might have a loaner/rental gun that I could use to get in a few rounds, and meet some nice folks?

Thanks much
    Joe

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Red Mountain is closed, so that leaves Ben Avery, which is on the northwest corner of the Phoenix area. Great club! Bill Malcolm

3. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Take I17 north toward flagstaff and take the Carefree Hwy exit west. Your at Ben Avery can't miss it. Joe

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is worth the trip to Ben Avery just to see all the facility. It really isnt that far and especially from north Scottsdale

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The only other place is Rio Salado. East and south of The Phoenix Metro area. It's not anything like Ben Avery. BA IS GIGANTIC. and RS is tiny.

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

While you're out there in Scottsdale take a look in a local phone book for me and see if there is a listing for the name Spider Houston. I tried finding it on the internet with no luck. We were stationed together in the Air Force and got to be good friends and then he retired to Scottsdale and haven't been able to contact him since. Jackie B.

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I was recently in Phoenix near the main airport for about a week.

Found the drive to the Casa Grande Trap Club just as quick as the drive to Ben Avery.

The Casa Grande people are very nice and have a great trap range.

There is nothing bad about Ben Avery. It is a site to see.

8. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

If trap is all you want to shoot, head to the Ben Avery. They have (gasp) skeet also, as well as Sporting Clays. You will be closest to this club. I don't know if they have loaners. There are plenty of places nearby to grab a bite to eat, too.

Rio Salado has a trap field and is the friendliest club in Arizona. I like their Sporting Clays course.

I've not shot at Casa Grande but have visited the club. It's kind of out in the middle of nowhere and there aren't too many amenities.

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Ben Avery has gun rentals for your convenience. Drive through and check out the rifle/pistol ranges, incredible. There's also the Bunker trap if you want to try it. Self served, you can shoot it alone. Great club. Enjoy, Bob

10. Barry C. Roach

I haven't seen anyone PROVE "detonation" exists as it relates to shotgun chamber failure yet. Also, no PROOF that it doesn't exist either. Nothing offered here but some scattered statistcs, conjecture, opinion and theory.

Nothing but a bunch of baseless "finger pointin' ". The K80 crowd doesn't want it to be their guns fault. BTW, I've seen both a Perazzi and a CG blown up as well.

Ponsness-Warren doesn't want it to be their fault either.

For someone to convince us that "detonation" exists, somebody's going to have PROVE how a charge of too little powder can produce a catastrophic chamber failure.

So for now I'm going to go with PHYSICS and catastrophic shotgun chamber failure can be caused only by either an obstruction at the chamber, too much gun powder, poor quality steel, steel fatigue or suspect gun design.

11. Barry C. Roach

Sorry, I don't know how I put my post on the wrong thread. I'll transfer it to the correct threadwhen I can get to my Mac. I can't seem to get it done with the Iphone.

12. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

From Scottsdale Your best bet is Ben Avery, it is a very nice facility friendly employees (for the most part)Great People shooting all the time and they have LOANER Guns as well as Rentals. Rio Salado is also a Very nice facility with a Friendly atmoshere. If you still have the bug after visiting Ben Avery and/or Rio Salado head to Tucson for the Day, They have a Great facility as well, and there are a few other places of interest along the way.

Mark

13. big joe

big joe Member

Thanks everyone for the good tips. I called Ben Avery range, 10 bucks for a
    rental shotgun and the gal I talked to was fun. I said to look for a fat bald
    guy next month as I will be comming....she said most of the shooters were fat and bald and I will be right at home...

Jackie...I will check the phone book for you...I wont be their till next month
    but will let you know....

have fun

Joe

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Yes Joe, They are nice people there but she didn't tell you some are taller than others or some of us aren't bald yet. Take the time to drive through their rifle and pistol areas, it's amazing. There are two entrances after you get off I17, the first is marked and takes you into the start of the ranges, the second and best for you is to go to the light and go into the clay target area. You will be impressed with what the state Game & Fish has done there. Enjoy the trip, Bob

15. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

When you get to Ben Avery try the bunker trap. It's easy. Hell i shot 7 out of 25 no problem.I don't think I saw the first 5.Great trap range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.