1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Going to Grand, read this.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birdtracker, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I got this from a drag racer. Be advised. Birdtracker

Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones in July. One mile per hour over the speed limit and the machine will get you a nice$375.00 ticket in the mail. Beginning July 1st, the State of Illinois will begin using the speed cameras in areas designated as "Work Zones" on major freeways. Anyone caught by these devices will be mailed a $375.00 ticket for the FIRST offense. The SECOND offense will cost $1000.00 and comes with a 90-Day suspension. Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license, which allow insurance companies to raise Insurance rates.

This is the harshest penalty structure ever set for a governmental unit involving PHOTO speed enforcement. The State already has two camera vans on line issuing tickets 24/7 in work zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH. Photos of both the Driver's face and License plate are taken. Pass this on to everyone you know who might be affected!!!

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I guess I need to borrow my buddies plates before I drive through Illinois! Lol.

ss

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Who's going to be the first to test this in court???

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

5. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

No front plate, no problem. Jake

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Here in AZ they get the rear plate. Don't ask me how I know either. Hap

7. KRK32

KRK32 Member

It seems to me after reading the dot link there will be a readout telling your speed giving you a chance to slow down before you say cheese. No matter what they use front of my car says CORVETTE. Kirk

8. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"While not trying to encourage anyone to speed, the one mile per hour over the limit does not sound enforcable.</I></blockquote>

Apparently, the State of Illinois thinks it is. From the Illinois Vehicle Code:
    <center>[​IMG]</center>

Sounds pretty clear to me.

MK

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Maybe the safest course is to drive 5 mph UNDER the posted speed limit...? Regards, Ed

10. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Sadly, Snopes confirms this information, though they do question the one mile/get a ticket part.

Bob

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Oldgoat, that's know as "impeding traffic" lol

12. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

The construction workers on all the hwys around Chicago are on STRIKE. When people are begging for work, these folks shot every construction project around down - streets, schools etc.

Just be careful when coming here. We've had a few deaths of construction workers in construction zones, so take it easy.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

13. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

The cameras must be really high tech if they can get a good photo of the driver through a windshield w/ sun glaring on it.
    The City of Mpls tried this for semaphore intersections and mailed tickets to the registered owner of each vehicle that blew a red light. The MN Supreme Court threw out the cases because the City couldn't prove the registered owner was in fact the driver at the time of the violation.

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Many state's are now employing these cameras due to the high number of accidents and personal injuries to the workers in construction zones.

You can expect to see alot more of this in the future.

Curt

15. Unknown1

<blockquote>"The MN Supreme Court threw out the cases because the City couldn't prove the registered owner was in fact the driver at the time of the violation."</blockquote>

In many States, that doesn't matter. The registered owner is charged with the violation if the driver cannot be identified or if the registered owner refuses to name the driver. Exception would be if the vehicle was being operated without the owner's knowledge or consent.

MK

16. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Virtually all the publicity on this subject concerns accidents involving vehicles hitting construction workers. The reality is that the vast majority of construction zone accidents involve speeding, impaired and/or distracted drivers hitting other vehicles.

Slow down and pay attention. The life you save may be your own.

sissy

17. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

rpeerless writes "While not trying to encourage anyone to speed, the one mile per hour over the limit does not sound enforcable. The speedometers have variances anywhere from 1-5 miles per hour between what it says and how fast you are actually going, sometimes more which is why tickets are usually issued for better than five miles per hour over the limits."

I agree. I seriously doubt that the system is set to catch violations one mile per hour over the limit or even 5 miles per hour over, for that matter. It is my understanding that an actual law enforcement officer must review the photo evidence and that the driver, as well as the vehicle and license plate, must be identifiable. The photo radar does take shots of both the front and rear.

Construction zones are pretty dangerous areas for all and especially those working on the roads. I try and drive at least five miles per hour under the posted limit myself.

18. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

In Illinois there are 3 generations of the same family working on the roads.

They have 2 kinds of conditions there.....rush hour and construction and both run 24/7.

19. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

One thing I need to add to this.....use of a cell phone in a construction area while driving is also illegal and carries a hefty fine and a mandator court appearance. My boss's wife was ticketed at seven p.m. while driving and answering her phone in a construction zone, even though there were no workers and no construction was being done. Cost her about three hundred dollars.

20. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

You are safe in the Sparta area. Light traffic, don't do construction there, just scrape the stone roads and trails.

^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.