1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Going to Cornwall,CT for Flyfishing in mid October

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by yvonne, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Looks like I'm going to Cornwall, CT for some flyfishing in mid October. Going to stay at Breadloaf Mountain lodges and have a 2 day guided fishing trip. Anyone from around these parts and want to tell me what I should be seeing? I'm going to stay at the lodge for 2 nights, but it's a bit pricey. Anything else I should see or shoot, etc? I'm willing to travel alittle and stay at motels, lodges, etc.

2. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

I live in the Hudson Valley area of NY, about an hour away...I've fished there with friends a few times. Real beautiful area. Probably fishing the Housatonic
    River-real nice...There is a Cabelas in Hartford, CT which is only about an hour away from you if you have not been to one.
    On the New York side, you have FDR Estates (Roosevelt's and the Vanderbuilt mansions) which are close to each other and worth the trip. If you wanted to shoot a round of sporting clays, you have some of the finest courses and clubs in the country in Millbrook and Dover, NY...Orvis/Sandanona and Dutchess Valley clubs. If you didn't have guns with you, I'm quite sure they have good rentals.
    You will be hitting our area a little after the peak of the "Fall Foliage" season. Lots of travelers and beautiful scenery. Lots of other cool stuff...if you want give me a holler, I'd be happy to help you out with any other info you might want. Do yourself a favor, since you will be footing it in the woods (brush) while fishing. Make sure you get yourself some good deertick spray for your boots/clothing and treat a set of clothing before you go on your treck. You want a spray such as Coulston's tick spray which contains
    permanone and follow the directions of the company.
    Good luck and have fun. Jeff

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

My brother in law lives there. He runs Housatonic Anglers. My mom was from Sherman, CT.

Very rural - hilly. Mid Oct. should have fantastic foliage. Lots of small shops - antiques and the like, but spread out. Much of it is pricey, but check with Rob, he might have some ideas.
    Some really good restaurants...

Neat park with great waterfalls in the area -Kent Falls Park.

Not far from Lime Rock Race course...

4. trout6

trout6 TS Member

Try using website: litchfieldhills.com which list dining ,lodging and attractions in the area for places to go. I personally dined at West Street Grille and Litchfield Saltwater Grille in Litchfield for dinners and highly recommend them. TOMA

5. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Thanks all! I'll let you know how the trip goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.