1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Going to a PFS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sglfr45, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Well I have decided to put a PFS on my MX15. It is supposed to be here Monday. What are some easy ways to get it set up? Matt

2. vvosen

vvosen TS Member

Setting it up is much like an adjustable comb, however the amount of rib you see between the front and mid site will not likely be the same due to the difference in muzzle rise caused by the collapsing stock.

You will probably have to set it up with a higher comb than you did before as I recall.

The other piece of information that would have saved me getting hit in the face a few times would be to adjust the "springy-ness" of the shock absorber to fairly tight. I would suggest you set it tight enough that you have to make a fairly decent effort to collapse the stock when the gun is mounted.

You also may find adjusting the pitch with a tapered spacer under the butt pad hleps to minimise the vertical movement of the muzzle.

Finally, lock a trap on straight aways and make your final adjustments.

Also, be careful about adjusting it over and over again until you have had a chance to shoot it enough on one setting to know what you want to try next.

Have Fun,

Vic Vosen

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Matt, if you access to a laser bore sighter it will make your setting it up a lot easier. I know it did for me.

Good Luck....Oh, and I think they come with the maximum amount of travel, which gives it less recoil.

But.......I did not like this, as it hits my middle finger while recoiling, so I have mine set up with a lot less travel on the recoil and I seem to like this best.

Hauxfan!

4. Clay McCracken

Clay McCracken TS Member

I just set up 2 PFs(s) on MX-15s and one fit almost out of the box, and one need quite a bit of adjustments. (one 100 lb, 5' 2" shooter, and one 6' 3" and about 190 lbs.)

If it's new from Vern, I think you have to add 6 turns of the recoil adjustment to bring it to a starting point.

If its used, get it attached as per instructions, then put it to your shoulder and try to collapse the stock. See if you have the strength to collapse it fully. If so, you'll need to increase the recoil adjustment.

I set my sons adjustment for the very light 1 oz loads he shoots. When I shot it with a AA handicap, it definitely bottomed out and had a very harsh firing behavior.

One thing I noticed...when the recoil adjustment is set correctly, the gun "seems" to shoot lower, perhaps because the barrel does not rise like it used to.

I think the PFS is a terrrific piece of shooting gear.

Mike T.

5. missalot

missalot TS Member

I got mine from Bob Shultz at the Grand 2-years ago and he started it out by laying it on top of my MX-2000 and adjusting it to the same dimensions. This was a good starting point. As with the other guys I recommend stiffer is better than softer and be sure to use the jam nut on top of the tension adjuster. Enjoy...

6. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

TO CHECK SPRING PRESSURE PUT BARREL MUZZLE ON BATHROOM SCALES AND PUSH DOWN ON STOCK. NOTE POUNDS READING WHERE THE ACTION STARTS TO MOVE. I SET MINE AT 35 LBS.
    SMOKIT

7. ccridr

ccridr Member

Read and reread the manual, I know that is forign to the American male, but in this case it is worth while. If they issued a operators manuel for females we would all be a lot smarter!!!!

8. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Determine POI MX15 assuming you like it today.. Install PFS and adjust to same POI. Take a felt tip marker and draw around the butt adjustments to mark where they are. When you loosen the adjustment screws it slides easily and you quickly lose your reference point. Then make adjustments for comfort. Adjust recoil movement. Adjust length of pull. Adjust toe pitch. Adjust drop at heel. etc. etc. etc.

Haven't changed mine in over a year. Once you have it right it will fit like a well fitting glove. You will enjoy it!

Regards

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Patients and you'll have lots of help right here if you need it ... Read the manual that comes with it first and that will answer a lot of your questions and take your time and get it right and you will be elated that you invested in the PFS, best thing since sliced bread and pop tops on beer ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Read the setup instructions to the letter and all will work well for you.Dont cloud yourself with advise before getting the unit.Just go page by page, directions are very specific and clear....Don

11. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

My suggestion is to work on it at home for several hours over a couple days before taking it to the range. It's nothing like any simple 4 way adjustable comb.

The comb can be moved forward and aft to allow you to put it comfortably in the center of your cheek. Where it comes located from the factory may not be where you need it depending on your build and neck and LOP (I mount it standing next to a mirror to see just how my face sits on the comb. The front and rear comb height can be adjusted independently of each other, as can cast on/off at the front and rear. The comb can be rolled over or adjusted straight up and down.

The butt plate can be adjusted in micro increments with enough range to suit probably every shooter. However any necessary pitch adjustment will require a tapered spacer. I suggest you set it up as best as you can without any pitch spacer, then if necessary change the pitch (unless you're matching measurements from another stock and you know the required pitch).

You should know that the torx head machine screws that hold the comb on are threaded into screws that may be adjusted in or out to change cast. These adjustment screws are locked with hex head cap screws from the other side of the comb block.

The way I've always done it has been to first set the comb up by eye with the muzzle resting on the floor. Looking over the gun from behind the butt, adjust the comb on it's axis until the flat side of the comb is parallel with the side of the rib with the gun straight up and down. This may be easiest with the butt plate adjusted the same straight up and down, making the rib, comb, and butt all parallel. (You can kick the toe of the butt out later if necessary). The new style PFS provides for plenty of cast adjustment making it easier to make if fit with the comb straight up and down. The old style often required the comb to be rolled over to get the shooter's eye behind the beads. I believe (along with others) that you're more likely to pick your head up if your face is laying on a horizontal comb surface as opposed to being pushed up against a vertical surface. But there are those who prefer a roll over comb.

Like I said, I've always spent a couple days at home setting it up so my eye is directly behind the beads, and have the stack I like (in my case about 1/4" of rib showing. You may of course need to change the POI height once you start shooting it and see where it’s shooting. But you’ll seldom have to move the POI right or left of where it shoots with one bead atop the other. Assuming your putting it on a quality straight shooting gun.

Coming back to it hours later or the next day, and mounting the gun by feel with my eyes closed really helps. I may have thought I had it perfect, then the next day I notice when I open my eye(s) the beads are not exactly on the same vertical line. And that some slight movement (twist) is needed to make it perfect. It shouldn't be this way, it should be perfect every time with out need for any movement to make it that way when you open your eyes. If it does I tweak the comb adjustments in tiny amounts until it looks perfect when I open my eyes. Then come back to it later and see if it comes up perfect repeatedly.

In regards to the spring tension, with two exceptions this is all up to how you like it with the loads you use and the way it reacts with your gun. How it works on somebody’s Perazzi with their loads, has nothing to do with how it works on somebody else’s Seitz with their loads. Just know that it should never move so far that it bottoms out, and that it should not be so tight that it doesn't collapse at all. Somewhere in between is the spot you want, but only you can find it, and it will change with lots of shooting as the washers will give up some of their springiness over time. If set up properly the theory is that you'll get zero muzzle rise, instead the gun will recoil straight reward under your face. If it is set up too loose it will bottom and you'll have muzzle rise. If too tight it won’t do its job (collapse) and you'll get muzzle rise. Although on some guns with some loads you're always going to have some muzzle rise.

Also, regarding spring adjustments, know that the large (1/2" I think) adjustment screw inside the tube should have a jam screw screwed in behind it with the purpose of locking the adjustment screw from moving. The jam screw will have to be removed all the way out before an adjustment can be made. Once the adjustment is made screw the jam screw back in place. I've always made changes in 1 or 1/2 turn increments. Good luck finding that perfect spot.

All of them that I've set up this way have performed great and needed only very minor adjustments once on the range. Usually due to some slight break-in changes to the stock. There are moving parts so things may break-in slightly with a few rounds. And wear some over time. Setting it up at home allows you to only snug up the adjustment screws to check the fit with each change, rather than tightening them down which is necessary when shooting it. But once it's there, it's comfortable, and you're centering targets. Lock it down and leave it. They're great..!

cls

12. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

Read the manual, then read the manual again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.