1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Going Hunting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OzarkGun, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

I'm headed out duck hunting next week. I was planning on using a Beretta 390 Extrema (1) that I purchased last year. I just discovered that the gun does not have a plug installed. Without the plug, the magazine holds 5 shells. Can anyone tell me the proper length for the plug? I will be using 3" steel shells. I will probably just use a dowel to make one.

Thanks for you help

Jack

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I use a 390 also and I made my plug from a 3/4" dowel. Mine is approx. 4" (memory only). I started a little longer and kept cutting it down until it would hold only 2, 3" shells. As I normally only shoot 2-3/4" stuff, I made sure that 3 of these would not slide into the magazine thus avoiding the ire of some game warden.

Hope your season is plentiful.

Curt - Delaware

3. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

Curt

Thanks for the info but I'm confused. My magazine currently holds 5 - 2 3/4" shells (5 x 2.75 = 13.75 internal length). If I want only 2 3" shells, I think I should reduce the size to around 6.5" thus meaning the dowel should be about 7.25".

This is all hypothetical which means I am probably missing something (I usually do). I am sure the factory makes a plug but I have never seen one.

Thanks for your help

Jack

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Jack...

Like I said, just going by memory as it's been approx. 10 yrs. since installing the dowel..but I do recall doing the T&E thing until I had right. Didn't take long at all so it was no big deal.

Curt

5. MIke W.

MIke W. TS Member

When in a tight spot like alrady at the marsh and realizing I didnt have one in my 11-87, I just used a ball point with the cap on and it worked just fine...

Mike...

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Mike, That's funny. I've never carried a pen in the marsh before.

7. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

Mike, necessity certainly is the mother of invention!

8. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

85TTR

Thanks for the reference. Unfortunately the standard 390 has an un-plugged magazine capacity of 3. That makes the plug fairly short. The 390 Xtrema has an un-plugged capacity of 5. I'm pretty sure the Xtrema plug must be 7-8" long. I'll just start cutting dowels until I get it right.

Thanks for your help.
    Jack

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Measure the unfired length of your shells, I think you will find they are shorter than you are assuming. (a 2 3/4" shell has a maximum fired length of 2 3/4") With this tid bit of knowledge you will be able to measure and cut a plug that will keep you legal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.