1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Going from target gun to hunting gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sernv99, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I have been breaking out the Citori 12 gauge field gun and been shooting several rounds of sporting clays with it. I plan to go on a preserve pheasant hunt before the end of this month so I need to re-acquaint myself with my hunting gun. I noticed I can't hit the targets that well with this gun as opposed to my target gun, K80 ProSporter.....I think it has to do with the really flat rib of the Citori, not so much with the weight (I can control my swing with the lighter Citori pretty well). Some thoughts would be to find a really light field gun and do an add-on rib to replicate the higher rib on my target gun. I don't think I could put an add-on rib on the hunting gun I have now, it would just make it heavier and a bear to hunt with all day long.

anyone else come across this dilemma? If so, what was your remedy, if you did anything different to your hunting gun?

My chokes pattern fine so that takes that out of the equation and for practice I have been using Rem Gun Clubs. For actual hunting, I have a stash of Fiocchi Golden Pheasant that I plan to use...

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

One of those adhesive pads to raise the comb might help you get the POI up closer to what you're used to. Or a bunch of layers of moleskin.

-Gary

3. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Drag that K-80 into the field.

You won't need to hear the Score keeper call dead bird, just go pick it up.

It will give it "Field Cred" -- I just made that up- imagine that

Something similar to "Street Cred" like the rappers have.

Just messing around.

Have a great hunt.

Kenny Uhlbeck

4. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Check my turead BIRD HUNTER INFO---I bumped it up for you---You can't beat
    a Franchi 48/AL for the type of hunt you'r going on---only weighs 6 lbs---
    use #6 shot and you'll nail them---gL---George

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

What the hell does rib height have to do with anything? What counts is the relationship of your eyeball(s) to the rib, regardless of the height above the barrel. High rib, high stock, low rib, low stock. See the bird, kill the bird!!

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It could be the trigger is throwing your timing off. HMB

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I was having enough problems with hitting anything in the air when I started trap that one of the criteria for a trap shotgun be that model could also be used in the field. (The original reason for my trap interest was to train for bird hunting, but I found I liked trap and kept at it.) I went with the 1187, and installed monte carlo stocks on my field guns to match my trap gun. The guns feel similar (some have synthetic stocks) and they all point the same.

This worked well because the Remingtons are flat shooting, so a monte carlo stock for me, raises the POI from 50/50 to about 60/40. I don't know how well this would work in the field with a 70/30 or 80/20, but in theory it ought to.

This also allows me to practice trap and sporting clays with my field guns, including my 20ga.

What you may need to do is temporarily build up a comb on your field gun with one of the available kits to match the POI of your trap gun. If that works, look into a raised comb for your gun.

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

The more you shoot, the higher your combs get! skeet, trap, flyers, wild game.

9. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Now that I have trap gun (CG) I can barely shoot an 1100...?? they used to fit me to a tee.. now they are awkard feeling..??

10. Beni

Beni Member

I went from my browning cynergy to my benelli vinci yesterday and had no prblems, just shoot the bird,and try not to think to much about it have fun on your hunt, beni.

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I alway shoot trap guns in the field.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I know some hunters have the horsepower to haul a heavy gun around all day but I'm not into that phase these days. My B303 20 ga at 6 pounds or so feels like it weighs a ton after climbing these mountains chasing Mearns quail! It's so easy for me to trade my 12 pounder (Trapgun)for a 6 (Fieldgun) any day in the quail mountains! A no brainer.

Hap

13. seitz647

seitz647 Member

I shoot alot of lite guns during the fall hunting seasons(grouse and woodcock hunting) - and yes it does take a little adjustment when you move from a 9 lb trap gun to a 5 pound bird gun - I start in september and start shooting skeet with the bird guns - just about stop shooting trap until end of november - I recommend shooting skeet low gun , this will get you seeing moving mounting shooting - J Mroczka

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.