1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Going From Singles to Doubles Trap Settings

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If you have a radar gun, its easy. Set the speed in accordance with the rule book.

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I put a doubles stake for setting the angle and height of the RH bird. Set it into the holder, get into the trap house, set the speed with a radar gun, height, and angle from the stake. Always tweak them from the shooting pads for level.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Assuming you're starting from a correct singles spring tension, 8 additional turns of the crank on a rubber spring Pat should get you up where you need to be for doubles.

John C. Saubak

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

We were told 12 turns.

5. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

1. Check to make sure they have the new dbls finger for the Pat Trap - if not call Pat Trap and order one. Less than $20.

2. Radar gun on the right hand target of the pair 39mph. No radar gun then 8 to 10 extra turns over singles setting should get it

3. The right hand target should travel as a straight away when standing between post one and two with the finger installed. Without the finger it will be a straight away from closer to post one. The left hand target should be a straight away from between posts four and five. You may have to balance right and left to get them looking the same.

4. Adjust the height to taste - Typically 4 to 5 notches above the singles setting at the clubs I frequent.

5. Level the pair. Move the dbls finger up or back. This only moves the right hand target.

Good shooting!

Regards

W&W

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

W&W has it right. The 39 mph is a minimum, generally closer to 40 seems to work better we've found. Good luck. Bob

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I like 40 MPH better too, but it looked like the BOD would pass 39 without a murmur and might balk at 40, so it's 39. The point was to get radar guns and chronographs into the rulebook and leave the increased speeds an option. Again, I personally think that 40 MPH is a nicer target for the average shooter.

Neil

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a previous mention of seting a straight away single at approx 51 mph before switching to doubles. Recheck the right target speed after adjusting the height as needed, level targets with the finger adjustment, and center the field as needed. Works for me! Right target should be just over 39 mph, targets at 9 1/2 ft, and willing to adjust to suit the shooters within limits. All within the limits in calm air.
    Their happy, I'm happy. We shoot...

Big Jack

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I sure wish clubs would put a doubles height stake in so field to field would be the same height. There is always a club target setter that "eyeballs" em in and more times than not, they are different. Alexandria Gun Club uses the singles height stake for setting doubles. Rotate the Pat Trap to the left, clear the stake 6" for a 9'6" target, set the speed, rotate back and center. Getting all fields the same height is as important as target speed.

10. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

12 is for the older machines with a steel spring. The newer ones have duel rubber springs and 8 or 9 turns is about right on new springs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.