Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Going from Release Trigger to Pull Trigger

5K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  bounty hunter 
#1 ·
After shooting a release trigger for almost 40 years, I am going to attempt to shoot a pull trigger in a new gun I just bought, How have you handled this?

Did you succeed?

Or am I fool to attempt it.

Phil Kiner should I attempt to do it?

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

#11 ·
Almost impossible to do on clays, but you can on feathered birds. I have checked around and have found that a release for clays and pull for hunting is done by quite a few.

I tried to shoot a pull after 25 years of a release on two events. I shot so poorly I stopped shooting trap, 92 in singles and a 72 in handicap. I was flinching two to three times on some birds and finally pulling the trigger when the bird was three feet off the ground. I'm back shooting trap again with a release for all events. Third day out with my new Kreighoff, with release, I ran a 100 from the 27. You'll have to try it for your self to see what works for you as we are all different.

Please keep us posted with your results. Best wishes.

Tom Strunk

#14 ·
I only shoot a release on clay targets I wish or hope to break. I flinch so bad that on a 100 targets I will flinch 200 to 400 times. On the bright side i get to look at targets longer and break them (or miss) at many different locations. I have got so bad that I flinch on some live birds.
Sometimes I can pull a times if I use the middle finger instead of the index.

Charlie

#15 ·
Charlie Becknell That has been me in the past, I did not even try to pull the trigger, I sent the reciever out this morning for the double releases, they promised me fast turn around and it would be back before the first of the year.

You guys here on TS convinced me to not even try to pull the trigger, 40 years of using a release would be I think a very hard to accomplish, I gave in and went for the release as I am too old to teach an old dog new tricks.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

#20 ·
Hap he is the only one that I have ever heard of that can change, with sucess, from pull to release and back to a pull. Believe me I tried for five years. I talked to him about it at San Antonio, Texas earlier this year.

I also know alot of the top shooters and gunsmiths in the USA and to a man they have told me they knew of no person that was able to go back to a pull trigger from years with a release., don't waste my time trying. I gave up after too many flinches to enjoy the sport, gave in and returned to a release, scores improved by a lot. Whats the big deal about shooting a pull trigger anyway?? Do what works for YOU.

Tom Strunk

#21 ·
Tom, I mentioned Drew since both he and Gary frequent the same clubs around Ohio quite often. BTW, Drew is the only shooter I know of that can switch back and forth also with success! That's why I mentioned his name. The rest of us is sorta one way with our thoughts on what's preferred with either choice. Once the mind is made up, it's hard to change it once success is proven, with either choice.

Hap

#22 ·
Dr Long--You will be able to shoot a pull untill it matters and then it will be the porky pig routine.

I have never seen/met/talked to anyone that shot a release for an extended period of time and was able to go back to a pull. Once you have the first f Pandora's box has been opened.

Bob--That is about as funny a descpription as I have ever heard and it is accurate

I will also never understand why you can shoot a pull when hunting and never have a problem but, get on the line and here the dreaded f word comes.

#23 ·
I have not shot both types of triggers in the past couple of years in trap. I still can if I have too. I think the reason I can is because I still shoot rifles in matches with a 4lb. military pull or bench rest with a 2oz. pull. But I've found that the release has become a more precise let off for me in trap shooting. I don't like a trigger moving without going off. I didn't have to go to a release, like some have. I found after having my release trigger made by Allem in 1998 I didn't have to have my triggers tuned up every year. At one time I had 6 pull triggers ready to go for every year. My tuned up triggers would only hold 4-1/4 lb. pull for about a month. Since I'm a squeezer and not a slapper the trigger has to have a perfect let off like my rifles do. Also the release trigger is just so easy and dependable to use. I only use the release now shooting trap.

Drew Waller

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.