1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GOING BACK TO SHOOT A MODEL 12, PROS & CONS?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i have been selling some of my guns, mostly 870's trap grades. currently i am shooting a beretta al2. i was at boxhorns the other night and a league shooter let me shot a round with his model 12 trap. i forgot how great a gun the model 12 is. of all trap guns, it feels the best to me for trapshooting. i have real small hands and the pistol grip was small and fit me real well. the gun hit targets with absolute authority. the guy said it only had 45 thousands choke. when you look at a model 12, the history of that gun is overwhelming. years ago i had numerous model 12's, pre 64 and y models. this particular model 12 was made in 1958. the league shooter wants an old style bt99 of mine and some cash. i just have to come up with the cash now to seal the deal. some shooters agree with me about model 12's, others disagree. what are the pros and cons about model 12's? to me, it is a great gun!
    steve balistreri

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I never quit shooting a M12. Mine was made in 1952.

I had the Gun Dr put a Simmons rib on it and reblue the entire gun. An awesome Reinhart Fajen rollover and a Decelerator pad and still shooting strong.

SW

3. senior smoke

stonewallracing:
    years ago i walked into a gun shop and there was a black diamond model 12 in the rack. this is well before all the inflated prices. the stock was way to low and i made the mistake of not purchasing it for the sum of $350.00.
    steve

4. senior smoke

forgot to ask this question. WHAT IS WORTH MORE, A MODEL 12 PIGEON GRADE OR A BLACK DIAMOND?
    Steve

5. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

"the guy said it only had 45 thousands choke"

Only? That is a lot.

I would think it would think it would "hit targets with absolute authority".

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Steve,

Please take a note:

"There is no such thing as a Bad Model 12, its just that some are better than others" ... All Pro, no con ... I sold 5 of mine because I needed some room in the safe but still have enough in case I need an extra one ... The record books tell it all ... Give him the BT and the cash you can't go wrong if its a nice one ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Its what ever you want that matters.

8. senior smoke

in my opinion the model 12 deserves more respect than some are willing to give. old time shooters, champions, model 12's, 31's, are in the fabric of what we know as trapshooting today. maybe i am wierd, but when i see a model 12, it brings good memories to me of good days gone by. sure, i could purchase a present day model with all the bells and whistles, but i want one model 12 to someday pass on. to the nay sayers, the thousands of model 12 fans, can't be all wrong? there are a few guns that almost every shooter has had sometime in his life, depending on their age. a rem 870, a mossberg 500, an 1100, and a model 12. all great guns. i have had all of them, and i still say "long live the king", model 12 hands down.
    steve

9. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The Model 12 was a good gun in it's day but it's "old school" now.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There was a young fellow who shot up at Prescott trap and Skeet, all event's with a Model 12 and he won a lot of them also ... He was faster pumping than the guys with the over/unders were on doubles and seldom missed a beat ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. Bridger

Bridger Member

I would hope I always have a Model 12 to shoot. It just shoots as well for me as well as any high end gun I have owned. I don't find the recoil excessive and it seems when you bring out a nice Model 12 it seems to draw a lot of attention. There are a few of us around who still enjoy them and I would not feel at any disadvantage if it was my only trap gun. I've never understood the "old school" comment made by another poster. If it works and works well, it's not outdated. Buy it and enjoy it Steve.

12. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

The only drawback I have found to the Model 12 is the recoil on the 12's and 16's if they have the original hard buttplate (the 20's don't bother me). I just wear a Bob Allen recoil pad and that solves that problem. My Model 12 trap gun has a factory recoil pad. Except for a Browning Superposed given to me by my father, I am fondest of my M12's, especially my late father-in-law's 12 GA field gun out of all the various shotguns I own. It's hard to explain- maybe I'm just a sap for American made, hand fitted, machined part shotguns from a time in America when things were built, not made. Maybe I'm just a plain old sap. Either way, Model 12's a great guns and I hope you enjoy shooting yours.

13. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I shoot a 1974 y model 12 full choke that throws a pattern that maybe can be matched but,I can't see how it could be better in a stock barrel.The gun tortures targets when you center them.I also changed the pitch on the stock that tamed the recoil.I also added a G squared recoil device for even more comfort.The Gsquared cost more than the gun,but it sure beats jumping gun to gun every year or two.If you get the model 12 to fit,you will never let it go.

joe

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like M-12s and still have a few, but they are not well suited to me for doubles.

Pat Ireland

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

there are 2 reasons that a Mod 12 kicks:

1. The stock doesn't fit your personal build and style.

2. The recoil pad is at least 50 years old and is now hard as a rock.

Either problem is easy to fix.

16. senior smoke

here in wisconsin a few years ago we had a young man shoot a model 12 for the 16 yd 200 championship. once shooters noticed he was shooting a model 12, it seemed like most were pulling for him. i can only imagine how much that gun would cost to be made the same way today.
    steve

17. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

There is no more satisfying feat in the world than taking an old beat-up M12 and whipping the butt of some young whippersnapper with his fancy "Space Gun" which cost him as much as my first house. I've had dedicated Trap Guns in my locker in the past, but they are all gone and the old 1954 M12 is still working fine. All that is required is to run a bore brush through it once a year or so to get the big chunks out and then keep on shooting......

AdamsRibs

PS: I can fix anything on my M12 which might break, with parts readily available from a number of sources. The are easy to take down and assemble and you don't have to order parts from China or Italy or some other furriners....

A.

18. 527varmint

527varmint Member

I got a 1925 black diamond trap for sale if anyone is intersted its up on the board.

19. JRW

JRW Member

Smoke you better keep your money from your last post I think you better buy carpet for the wife. Jerry

20. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

How many Muddle 12's won trophys at the grand this past year. And that is really the bottom line. You have to give yourself every advantage to play the game succesfully. Will this Model 12 do this for you? Just because you shot 1 good round,be careful. OK to buy & use,just don't give up a gun you shoot well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.