1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Going back to school at age 60!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Sept. 6, 2011 is my first day back to school. I will be a full time student again, attending the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee campus. My wife is taking me for school clothes along with some supplies today.

Why does this remind me of going back to grade school when my mom would take me to Gimbels each school year for clothes here in Milwaukee? I need one year of schooling to get my BA Business degree. What will I do with my degree? Hang it on a wall, and tell my dad that I fulfilled my promise to him that I would someday get my college degree.

Some of you may laugh that a grandfather at my age is returning to school, but I was taught by my dad when I was a kid, never to break your word, as a handshake was your bond.

So pop I hope to make you proud.
    Steve

2. td_ict_ks

td_ict_ks TS Member

GO FOR IT AND CONGRATULATIONS!....I'm about to finish an MBA at 50.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don't forget your slide rule. Gonna have to learn the modern drinking games.
    grntitan_2009_2503173.jpg

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Steve, Good for you!

Not everyone has the chutzpah to do what you are doing. Go for it!

You'll be glad you did!

Who knows, maybe you'll be setting an example for someone else.

Hauxfan!

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Make us all proud and set an example for the next generation.

Robert

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I wore out in my Junior year and went home. My dad almost killed me. I worked for a year and returned to school, met my future wife and graduated. I guess the business education is different these days than it was in 1951. Kaiser-Frazer was studied as an example of a growth company.

I'm pretty sure the Series 7 NYSE certificate I earned in 1964 is now a museum piece. It was all worth it.

Are you going through Rush?
    [​IMG]

7. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

If your instructor has any sense, he will relate your real world experience to his class lectures. Technology is a tool, not the answer.

Go Get 'Em, Steve, and don't let the cheer leaders get your grades down :)

Dave

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good luck

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Steve:

We expect to see your report card here after each semester. Hate to have to take your cell phone and vehicle away from you for low grades and too much partying. Seriously, go for it, have fun and get that degree.

DoubleAuto

10. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I started taking computer training at age 55 and am still at it at 57. Congratulations to you and I find it refreshing to know of another that is doing this at our age.

Mark Russell

11. senior smoke

Thanks for all the encouragement. My son is laughing as he said he can't imagine what a 300lb, grey haired man will look like in a letter sweater. My biggest worry is if I can still fit behind a school desk. Last time I was in school, I went 17 years night school for real estate law through the bank that I was working for.

My son just asked me if I am considering going out for the basketball team? I wonder how long it will be before some kid ask me if I am a professor? I should say yes, I teach the school of hard knox.

Last time I went to college my books did not cost that much. Prices that I am hearing now are unbelievable. My son said they change books usually every year becasue some of the professors want you to read the books that they actually wrote. My son paid $400.00 for a book last year, and the book store bought it back for only $25.00???

Bryan:
    Your grandmother was obviously an awesome woman.

I can only imagine being teamed up with some little girl for some type of assignment for a class. She will probably tell her parents that her partner is some old fat a--.

I feel like I am smarter today than I was as a nitwit at the age of 18. My father use to always say that you not beat experience. I might have to agree with him. As a kid I was a know it all punk. My father survived the battle of Okinowa, and as a kid I still thought he did not know what he was talking about. I was very wrong.
    Bryan:
    Your grandmother was obviously an awesome woman.

Steve
    Steve

12. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

I got my BA at 53 (which was 35 years after my feeble first college attempt, which however got me into computer programming in 1960) a diploma from the National Defense Univ. 2 years later and an MS at 62 (a freebe at Syracuse thanks to Uncle Sugar). Decided to skip the free phd offer and retired instead.

It's very helpful if you decide to do something different after retiring. I got a couple of different WV State licenses after retirement in subjects that I was totally clueless about; however, the study habits I picked up later in life allowed me to become almost a profesional test taker/passer.

Plus the degrees hanging on your den's wall impress casual visitor's who don't have a clue that you are really a ding-dong.

13. senior smoke

When I was in the Army my father use to say that I was a pencil pusher, as I was a company clerk in HQ. One day a friend of mine gave me some advice on taking the exam for being in charge of supply.

He had numerous years of college and test taking experience. I lucked out after taking his advice, and scored the highest on the test in my unit. I got to hand pick certain friends to work in supply with me, and as it turned out, it was like the Sergent Bilko show, wheeling and dealing for anything and everything.

At that time, I was offered $3,000.00 to re up and also to fill one slot as a spec 6, as there were very few SP6's. Rank came very fast being orginally in Hq. I turned the offer down as it was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. I even had officers ask for deals on certain items. I had an officer from another unit ask for me one day, and he asked one of my people if Earnie was around? My buddy said Earnie? He said Bilko, and then he answered that Steve will be back in an hour. Those were the days.

When I returned home I was selling fatigue jackets and boots to guys at the gun clubs for construction work. If you have kids looking to join the service, ask for supply or HQ.
    Steve

14. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Never Stop!!! I went to law school at 45 and did a Ph.D. at 55. Keeps you in touch and ALIVE.

JON

15. WBD

WBD Member

Congrats! We had a guy in my law school class of 1987/Washburn University School of Law who was 75 when he graduated!!! Go for it! WBD

16. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Steve:

I returned to the University of Louisville, KY at age 58 to obtain a Masters Degree in Teaching (MAT). I completed the MAT two years later as I took a total of 42 semester hours. I was the oldest "kid" in my class.

In order to obtain a certification in math, I had to take a masters level course in Geometry in the Engineering school and I earned an A-. This class was difficult and time consuming but it gave me a good sense of accomplishment when I finished. I partnered with two recent engineering grads on the homework and the three of us worked as a good team.

I have two other college degrees but this last degree was very satisfying. I did not complete my bachelors degree until I was 26 as I dropped out for the Vietnam War.

Do not be afraid and have a good time. Be sure to go to your graduation.

The best advice I can give you is "Learn How TO Learn." By that I mean learn how to organize new ideas and facts in your mind so that you can refer to them later. Don't try to memorize everything but instead remember where to find things. Learn how to use the university library for research and get contact information on students and others who may be of help. Network, Network, Network!

Read the syllabus for each of your classes thoroughly so that you know what the professor expects.

As you progress, welcome to the society of “Lifelong Learners.”

You are never too old to learn. I am a much better student now than I was when I was in my 20's.

Ed Ward

17. senior smoke

All of your encouragement makes me feel really good. For the people who went back to school in your later years I salute each of you for your accomplishment.

So far I have found retirement boring even though I have a lot to do. When I was young I had a good memory which helped me in school and in life. With medical problems over the past few years I have trouble remembering what I ate for breakfast.

I have to go to the dentist now as I broke a tooth eating of all things M&M's yesterday.
    Steve

18. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

Congratulations on your decision to return to school!! This is a decision you will never regret.

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

What kind of aid can you get to go to school after retirement?

20. 87AA

87AA TS Member

smoke,

Does UWM have a trapshooting team? If not it's up to you to start one.

I think its awesome that you're going back to school. I actually hope to do this one day when I retire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

going to school at 60