1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Going back to a pull trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dglong, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dglong

dglong Member

I am thinking of trying to go back to a pull trigger after shooting release for a couple of years. I wondered if many people had tried and were successful or is this an extreme long shot.I have shot the release without flinching for about 2 years but have been told that I could switch back to pull and probably shoot without the previous flinch due to a different shooting method by one of the top instructors in the country. By the way I shoot mostly sporting clays. I know everybody is different just wanting to hear other peoples experience.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a good pull trigger, no creep, the right weight of pull for you, one that is clean and crisp. Then the rest is up to you. HMB

3. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I tried to switch but flinched badly with the pull trigger. However, I have a friend who made the transition successfully. Curiously, I have no problem when I use a pull trigger while hunting.

4. dglong

dglong Member

I have shot about 25 rounds with a pull so far. It is not easy a lot of tension and pretty jerky, but hopefully if I take it slow I can convert back and if not at least I know for sure.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Long. I'll get back overnite. I have experience with this quest adn I will mirror your effort. But not until after NTD. Then I will go back to pull with you.

Jack

6. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Just be smarter than the trigger...

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The hardest thing to get used to, is having to think before you call pull. When the release has been there long enough, it becomes routine to pull the trigger, then the call. You have to think for the first couple of rounds, before you call pull. Make sure you hold a high gun for the first couple of rounds back, to save on the paint job of the trap. I found after shooting a release for a couple of weeks, that when I returned to a pull, my flinch was gone. I would only flinch once every 25 birds, or so. Now after shooting a pull all summer, I notice that once in a while, the flinch jumps out and gets me. Maybe time to go to a release again, or I just need to concentrate harder on the bird.

8. bnick

bnick TS Member

You didn't mention your age or how long you have been shooting targets. I think I have read every article ever written on the flinch and I have come to the conclusion that the primary cause for my flinch is my vision has deteriorated over the years.
    I shoot a release/pull for trap, a double release for skeet and a pull trigger for sporting mostly FITASC(gun down).How screwed up can you get! But it works for me I am able to stay competitave (A Grade in all events)but, with out the release triggers I will flinch off 2 or 3 per 25, which isn't any fun and I would probably give it all away if I had to shoot a pull trigger for trap and skeet. I believe that I don't have the same problem with gun down sporting or hunting is I can see and track the targets better than gun up.
    So, stay with your release trigger and keep having fun which is what it is all about.

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My story is long and arduous for me. It would bore you to tears in long form. But when I came back to shooting after a 12 year layoff I decided I wanted to pull the trigger once again. Frank little got me into release and I never shot as well with release. The coup de grace was a slow trigger in a K80. I was done. But I figured 11 or 12 years later I could make the switch back. So I attempted and had some success early on. IN 07 I bought a Kolar T/S wit pull and got to the point where I was breaking about 90% of singles targets. But then I stood on the 16 yard line in Eau Claire WI shooting next to a guy with a Browning XT and shooting the bottom bbl. Somewhere in the 3rd round I noticed I was feeling funny and then it hit me like a brick and I could not pull the trigger. Why? Because I feared the concussion from the ports on the XT shooting along side of me. I think a was down just a few at the time of the concussion panic and I believe I broke about 12 of the last set trying to yank the trigger after cringing from the concussion

But now I knew that I would have that problem and went back to release in the T/S. I did not shoot the gun well after that and moved on to a TMX.

At the end of that season I tried to shoot the TMX with a pull and found success during my practice rounds. I even became coordinated to a degree and thought comfort was just around the corner. I practiced in 2 round increments and broke reasonable low to mid 40s scores from hcp. But then I went to a hundred bird practice regimen and found I had trouble early in the 3rd round pulling the trigger. I tired of that and went back to release.

But as soon as NTD is past, I will attempt pull once again.

Someone smarter than me put some advice on TS.com some months back that made a ton of sense to me. and that was to practice pulling the trigger on station 8 Skeet. I will do that till I find relative comfort, then move on to full rounds of skeet and hope to transition more readily back to pull. It will not be easy, but I have 6 months to work the kinks out.Too, I do know that returning to release is very natural.

I say, let the test begin on station 8. And FYI, I broke 19 at skeet the only time this year I tried it. I will dust off my fave skeet gun (1100) and set aside the Perazzis for a while.

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I put stories like these in the bank for those weak moments when I start thinking about buying a release trigger.

-Gary

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I tried a release for about a month as I did not give the release enough time to get use to it as I went back to a pull. I have had no flinches in 4,000 targets. I was just not comfortable with a release reason I went back to a pull. Everyone tells me that it is easier letting releasing a trigger than pulling it. If your shooting good scores, suggest stay with the release.
    Steve Balistreri

12. dglong

dglong Member

I shoot only sporting and Fitasc a little. I am a master class shooter and shoot about 4000 registered a year and probably another 4-5000 practice. My scores have been fine for the most part but looking for an extra target or two wherever i can get it. What started me thinking about going back to pull was this new instructor I recently went to and he told me he doesn't think I need to shoot the release any longer. The only problem shooting a release for me is sometimes in Fitasc on the singles if you miss the first shot and shooting your follow up shot is a bit slower. I shot a few more with a pull trigger today and this is not going to be easy I can tell you that. lots of little mini flinches is what I like to call them. It will either get better or I will stay with the release which I have never flinched with (cross my fingers). Just an experiment at this point.

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I never felt that my release trigger was any slower on the second shot than a pull trigger. I just watched the best FITASC shooters in the world at the
    World FITASC championship in Illinois, and I did see some very fast second shots
    that saved a kill for a shooter. But more than that I saw that a slight hesitation on other targets - what a slight flinch would cause - resulted in far more lost targets.

14. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I hope Phil Kiner sees this and chimes in, as I am about to characterize what I THINK he has said, and I don't want to speak for him.

If you have a good quality pull trigger, and INCREASE the break weight to 4-4½#, the flinch goes away.

I'm unsure of the psychology of that, but Kiner thinks it works.

Bob

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

There are many solutions for going back to pull trigger after shooting release.
    Unfortunately, all are temporary. There are some shooters, not flinchers, who've tried release and found out they weren't successful with either. If you don't flinch you're not likely to need a release and going back is easy. If you're a true flincher, shoot a release, put up with the problems you might encounter or take up Fishing (as many have)!!

16. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

When I was forced to switch shoulders due to shoulder surgery, I thought I could return to a pull trigger. Dug out my old Model 12 and gave it a go. First few targets, worked great..then the old flinch came back into the picture. I can get probably three or four but then the flinch returns. Guess it is fully ingrained regardless of which shoulder I shoot from. I was forced to block out the lens in front of my right (dominate) eye but after I learned to shoot with one eye shooting backward (as my friends call it) ain't really so bad. But the damn flich is still there.

Big Jack

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why are you flinching? What is causing the flinch? HMB

18. oleolliedawg

hmb, for the same reason Johnny Miller gave up Golf from the yips, why a top New York Yankee 2nd baseman quit when he couldn't make a throw to the 1st baseman. Let's not forget target archers and their inability to use a release. The list is long and far more intelligent minds than ours are still studying the human brain!!

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is it bad equipment or a brain malfunction? HMB

20. oleolliedawg

hmb, most flinchers can pull an 8lb. sloppy trigger a hundred times perfectly while moving toward an imaginary target. It's what happens when they try to pull a perfect 3.5 lb. trigger on the trapline that creates problems. I've already seen some flinchers have their trigger pulls cut so low they had to close the gun slowly so it wouldn't go off. Ultimately, most went to release or took up bass fishing!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.