1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GOING BACK TO A PULL TRIGGER FROM A RELEASE?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trap2, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Have any of you gone back to a pull trigger after shooting a release for any period of time? I have shot a release for the past 6-7 years and am seriously considering going back to a pull if I can do it. I was never a flincher to begin with, I just went to a release because I bought a gun with one in it and liked the way it felt to shoot a release. I tried about 4 rounds with a pull last year at a shoot and seemed to have trouble every now and then not being able to control the trigger. It didn't feel like I was flinching, but about 2 targets in a round I would sort of pull off the target when pulling the trigger. The pull triggers I tried were set at about 3 to 31/2lbs. I was wondering if stepping up the pull to about 41/2 to 5lbs might help in getting settled back into the pull triggers, or am I better off just staying with the releases? Any thoughts from those that have done so? Thanks....Dan Thome (Trap2)

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Dan,

You should go back to a pull. Your fellow competitors will appreciate your efforts on their behalf.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Good luck I like you started shooting a release because I got one with a gun trade . Now years later a pull just don,t work anymore . The bad news is your now flinching and NEED a release .

4. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I went back to pull with no problems.

Jim C

5. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Dan,

Like you I have been shooting a release for 7-8 years and no way can I go back to a pull unless I shoot gun down.

I have 4 Trap guns, 3 with release-pull and one Double release and have no trouble going from one to the other EXCEPT going back to pull-pull then all hell breaks loose.

The trouble seems to happen with a mounted gun if I shoot Skeet or Sporting with gun down, no problem but with gun up, look out.

A few of my shooting Buddies recommend a trip to the "SHRINK" but then again I can still beat most of them even with my mixed up brain.

But then Life is supposed to be fun isn't it ?

Release Trigger...

6. lancelot

lancelot Member

Hi Dan,

I have, from time to time, gone back to a pull trigger. I'll shoot it for a couple of months, and then I'll catch myself waive the barrel on a target or two in a round. I go back to the release and don't do it anymore. It's just more comfortable for me to shoot the release.

Maybe you should give it a try, and then judge the results.

Best of luck, Ron Ireland

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Dan, I started shooting a Release in 1990. I didn't have the "I can't pull the trigger" type of flinch but I would stop the gun and then pull the trigger sometimes jerking the forend down. With a release trigger, the 2 actions of tracking the target and shooting the target just blend into one motion and I don't even know when the shot goes off. My latest problem is on very erratic targets with too much follow through like I am arm swinging if I don't get a good look at the target. I never know when it will happen next and I might have to go back to a Pull trigger to correct this. Last time I tried a Pull/Pull in Doubles I broke 77 right in the face. Funny I could pull the trigger on the first bird but make a spastic jerk on the 2nd bird. Good Luck and keep us posted on your results. I'm looking forward to the Inland Empire shoot.

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I may just be dreaming, but I honestly believe it is possible to go back to a pull trigger if I didn't have a flinching problem to begin with. I also think that it will probably be necessary to use a heavier trigger pull weight than I was used to in order to accomplish this. I was always a "squeezer" not a "slapper" when using a pull trigger and a heavier pull weight may be necessary for me to get re-accustomed to the pull trigger.

Phil Kiner, if you read this thread, could you please give me your thoughts on doing this by emailing me at trap2dan@yahoo.com.. I can't remember now, but I seem to remember it was either you or Frank that subscribed to going to a heavier trigger pull to try to eliminate the ocassional flinching problem some shooters experience. Do you think it's possible to go back?

Thanks.......Dan

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dan, for what it's worth, Drew Waller of Ohio shoots both in competition. He's a terrific shooter too. He's the guy I'd ask that question of and get his views. Hap

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Hap.......How do I reach him?.....Dan

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dan, Dennis DeVault will have Drew's home phone number. Give him a call @330-455-6070, that the shop number. His cell is 330-936-5102 Hap

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Thanks Hap.....Dan

13. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

Trap2, I went to a release in 2002 because I thought it would be more natural not to tighten up with the "squeezing of the trigger" and just let it go. Switched back to a pull trigger in 2004 im my singles but kept the release/pull in my doubles gun(liked being cat quick on my first shot of dbls) and kept this routine until 2007. In the Spring of 2007 thought that I would switch back to pull/pull in my doubles gun to keep things simple, found out that I could not squeeze the trigger on the first bird an average of 4 out 50 shots in doubles. So I went back to release/pull in doubles. At the Grand this year I started flinching so bad in my singles that I had to have a release put back in my singles gun because my subconcious would not allow me to squeeze the trigger. So I guess it is up to the individual on how they will react to switching back and forth, they say the average trapshooter develops a flinch about 12 to 14 years of steady shooting but I do not know for sure.

Hope I didn't bore you. Joe Flinch McGorman

P.S I was not a flincher when I switched to a release

14. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I did it for a couple years but I like the release better and went back.

Terry.

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Thanks Joe and Terry.... I will probably end up back with the releases but I just have to try the pulls to see if it's possible to go back. Unfortunately, my scores with a pull trigger were much better than they have been with the releases. While I shoot decent, and even sometimes very respectable scores with the releases, I think I was more consistantly shooting good scores with the pulls. It may be all in my mind, but you know how it is with a trapshooter: Once you get it into your mind that doing something different may help your scores there is no turning back until you try it....Dan

16. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Dan, although I cannot answer for Phil Kiner, he told me he hated a release and adjusted (temporarly) by increasing trigger pull. After a time that did not work. He finally went to the release permanently. He said he is very happy with the results.

I personally have tried, after an extended layoff, to go back to the pull. Worked for a short time, but alas. Once I went to the double release I believe I would stay, even if I could shoot a pull. - Jim

17. Chipster

Chipster TS Member

Went back to shooting a pull. I can flinch just as well w or w/o a release. Shoot a little skeet now and then and the pull works better for each.
    Curtis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
going from release trigger to pull trigger

success going back to a pull trigger