Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Go-to shooting guide

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  chiefjon 
#1 ·
I am a bit of a newbie to all this and my wife is even less experienced and a bit frustrated with her scores, which are almost non-existant.

We have had some assistance from local shooters who checked the gun fit, patterned the gun, observed her shooting and nothing definitive has come out of all this. We're looking at doing some reading on the subject and would appreciate some input as to what is the bible on learning trap shooting?

We shot today and she did much better after one person told her to put her barrel at rest just above the trap house roof, thus getting onto her bird a bit faster. Again, what is the go-to guide in order to get her on the right track? She really wants to succeed in this and is not a quitter, but i see her confidence waning.

I am doing okay myself, but don't have the knowledge of the mechanics to really be of much help.

Thanks guys...JB

#2 ·
I think a good coach would be far more helpful than any reading material at this point. Not just someone pointing out things but someone teaching and working one-on-one with you guys. What area are you guys located so maybe someone can point out a good instructor. My 16yr old took a one day course with Leo Harrison one year before the Grand American and it did wonders for him. He literally went up 10 birds average(mid 80's to mid 90's) within a couple weeks of working on the things he was taught. I'm not saying you must take his course, but someone with the ability to teach Trap fundementals and such will get you guys well on your way.----Matt

#3 ·
I second the recommendation for a coach. Trap shooting secrets by Russell or Trap & Skeet Shooting from the Gun Digest can give you the principles. Have the trap set to throw straight aways and stand on post 3 for a box or two of shells. It is a great game, so study, take lessons and practice...try and avoid the bad habits all the rest of us have.

JON

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.