1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Go Pro Camera Hero II

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I wore one of these digital sports cameras on my head today while shooting a round of trap. I see that it obviously fun; one gets pictures of his friends and self and trapgun on the line etc. I'm no "pro" with the Go Pro, but did observe that: I am possibly canting the gun and also could see an error(s) in form. Errors seen included circling the target, moving too quickly on a target, etc.

Of course, a shot here and there was nicely done which should reinforce timing and proper form upon playback and study.

However, the difficulty with the camera is getting it level; there is no viewfinder. Picture and sound are excellent when price and size of camera are considered.

Has anybody else used a Go-Pro Hero as a tool to improve shooting and as a tool to take back "entertaining memories"? I'd also appreciate any advice re. the Go Pro and its shooting sports appications from others more experienced.

Thanks,

David

2. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

Hmmm, I wonder if the GoPro is legal to use while shooting in a ATA event? I don't have one (yet), but wonder if others might try using them?

York

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

UtahYork: A wise man once said: "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission."

Not sure who first said that, but a friend of mine uses that philosophy when doing things that would bother his wife...like buying various new toys. However, he can afford to do so!

4. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

I like the idea. How do you know you're canting the gun and not your head? Would be possible to mount it under your gun so it's perpendicular with the barrel? Just thinking out loud.

Pat

5. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Check the link above. The video was played back in 1/2 slow motion.

Doug

6. deadnout

deadnout Member

wow that was a neat camera set up. how much was the camera and who sells them. where do you mount it. is it a visor mount type.

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have the Epic Wide action video cam and it came with several ways to mount it. The gun mount would be easy. I bought it to film my bow hunting using the hat attachment, unfortunately I didn't get a deer this season. I get emails direct from the company for reconditioned units which have the same warranty. They are very neat and lighweight with good sound. Go to wwwecpistealthcam.com to see the different products and call them at 877 269 8490 if interested in a recon model. I think I paid $59.99 for mine and it works great. I don't remember what capacity SD card it will take but used a 4 in mine but think it will take at least an 8. Jackie B.

8. fly

fly Active Member

Why did the shooter Balk at a target around 50 seconds of the video? They are using voice releases.

9. rmueller

rmueller Member

I had a Contour HD, nice camera for anything within 15 feet of your head; but it didn't clearly show the birds flying or breaking. I think its because the lenses are wide angle and have a huge depth of field.

I really liked this camera, the mounting was almost perfect. A couple of zip ties and it attached to my Howard Leight head phones, a bit of alignment with the laser and it took a video right down the gun barrel; almost as good as the eye-cam you see in the trap video's.

I ended up returning it. A lens setup for trap would be really cool on one of these. If anyone has used one the works better, I'm in
    rm

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

GoPro $299.

Eric

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

The GoPro likely is the most common and practical given all of the accessories available for it. It is available from Best Buy and Sport Chalet in So-Cal, and likely in other big box stores. Eric ("Mixer") is, IMO, well versed about audiio visual things IMO since he is in the field.

I have seen others more versed in the Go-Pro using them on MC's. Their results are sometimes outstanding showing their riding accross the Mohave on a beautiful day at sporty speeds offroad.

I have also been told that some professinal movie projects in and around Los Angeles are known to buy many, many Go-Pro outfits to capture an action scene dramatically. For that industry, a 300 dollar camera kit is chump change. So something good is going on here..

A gun mount will likely be all kinds of fun and help. I tried a top of head mount. Next time, maybe a high chest mount.

12. pitt4570

pitt4570 Member

i wear one when i go carp shootin works good mounted to the brim of my hat

13. deadnout

deadnout Member

i found one at best buy on clearance for $60.00. its a gopro 3d model ah3d-001.

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I did notice a few things. The earth is definitely round, some clubs still shoot white domed targets, the shooter needs to work on both his call and shot timing!!

15. Dougbbbb

Ok.. The world is round. They were solid Orange targets. The called is slurred because the video was recorded in slow-motion. The round was straight and a 99/100. Explain shot timing.

Thanks

Doug

16. Dougbbbb

Ok.. The world is round. They were solid Orange targets. The called is slurred because the video was recorded in slow-motion. The round was straight and a 99/100. Explain shot timing.

Thanks

Doug

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I would say the shooter is a slow shooter, regardless of 1/2 speed target was on time but refused to shoot, the semi-right angle. Recoil from the gun or poor camera fit.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. Dougbbbb

Gary

It wasn't a refusal. It was a broken bird.

I reposted above the REAL time video. When you're done losing to Big Don in the handicap and you want to see who can break a bird faster let me know.

Doug

19. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Good one Doug sometimes you just have to call out an Adam Henry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.