1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

go/no-go

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nipper, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nipper

nipper TS Member

anyone have a spare mec go/no-go quage for sale, ran across a mec shell reconditioner and would like to use one with it.

bill

2. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mic. a new shell and just drill a hole in a piece of wood or metal. If they are going only in your gun don't worry about it.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shotgun shells seat on the rim, not a shoulder as do many rifle shells. Head space in a shotgun is important but not as critical as it is in a rifle. A shell (especially one with a steel head) fired in your shotgun will expand in the chamber and should make a good "go-gage". Two thicknesses of copy paper glued to the head of the fired case should make a reasonable "no-go-gage".

Pat Ireland

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I don't think he cares about head space. Just wants to know if the shell will fit in the chamber. If that is the case use your barrel with the tightest chamber. HMB

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Nipper, first many shotguns have chambers that differ enough to be a problem using only one sample like a go/no go as you would in rifles. Above recommendations are correct. I've done this on my MEC loaders; simply adjust the conditioner to a point that shells are a little reluctant to enter your available chambers then tighten it up a bit so that all shells will fall into your tightest chamber that you'll be loading for. I'm sure new shells are loaded to a safe enough standard to fit all guns but you only need to re-size until your guns are happy. #2, if you just "must" re-size to factory standards, as Dave says, cut open a factory shell and adjust your conditioner until it closes on that shell but doesn't reduce the size. #3, if you buy new shells and only use them in one gun, they will be pressure sized to your chamber and will not need any reconditioning again....Bob Dodd

6. nipper

nipper TS Member

thanks for all the great comments, my primary use of the reconditioner will be to deprime hulls to keep a lot of trash out and off my primary loaders primer feeder.

bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.