1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Go, No Go, Gap Between Barrel and Receiver Face on MX2000 Perazzi

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Wildcat Lewis, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Member

When swapping barrels around on an MX2000 Perazzi what's the max space safely allowable between the receiver face and barrel breach surfaces?

WL

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Basically, zero.

Close the gun, and hold the top lever open. With the gun as closed as it can be, if you can see daylight b/w the two it's too much.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

agreed

4. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I measure the barrel to receiver face with a feeler gauge. In my opinion, anything over 0.006" needs attention.

Don

Chris Covell, Wildcat Lewis and smokintom thanked this.
  5. PMC1958

PMC1958 TS Member

I thought the term was "on face" meaning the breach end of barrels where in full contact with the breach face of the action on break action guns. I think that there is a slight space between the barrels and the water table when the barrels are on face.

6. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Water table is a stupid term applied to guns - action flats are what is meant. O/U's have different kinds of flats and on Perazzis the top of the sides of the action are what you get. Those flats and the bolsters on the sides of the barrels (Perazzi barrel flats) comprise a major component of on/off face fitting and they WILL be in contact. If the barrel face and the action face are absolutely parallel then the pivots and recesses set the face and that is not a common problem with changing barrels in Perazzis. In SxS the locking bar pulls the barrel flats and action flats into contact for face parallelism and the pivot pin and the notch in the barrel lug sets the face.

And I've heard all the BS about "water table" before so please don't bother. Misconception promulgated through time does not equal truth. Ignorance begetting ignorance does not ultimately produce enlightenment.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    BENCHREST, trappermike and Neil Winston thanked this.
  7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Water tables and action flats? Geez. Let Doug Braker work it out

bossbasl thanked this.
  8. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Member

Thanks to all for the help and advice. Fixing to try a top shingle on my 2000 RS. The max Clarence between the barrel and receiver surfaces to shoot safely was what I was needing.

Thanks again
    WL

9. Brent Paulus

Brent Paulus Well-Known Member

Why not contact Perazzi and see what they have to say?

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Do you see light between the breech and the barrel like this?

breech gap -2 jpg.jpg

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

'Poor man's solution.'

Take a new dollar bill, place it between the barrel breach and the action face, about half way down the face - and close the action. rest the hinge on your leg, so gravity is trying to open the action. Now pull on the bill (left to right, not up and down). If you can move it the action is too loose.

If the action has some kind of 'tit' protruding (doll's head, locking lug, etc.) you need to get a bit creative, but the process is the same.

ramorton, Wildcat Lewis and jlmccuan thanked this.
  12. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mr. Rackley gave you the answer. Engineer's are quite accurate regarding tolerances.

Wildcat Lewis thanked this.
  13. Roger C

Roger C Banned User Banned

Don, At .006 it needs a lot of attention. Roger C.

theunloader thanked this.
  14. Jaxshooter

Jaxshooter Active Member

I have always used .005 to .006. I got the information from a Perazzi smith.

15. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

I believe there is another measurement or fit that should enter into this. When placing a shell in the chamber is the base flush or is it perhaps recessed into the chamber? If recessed then that should be measured and added to the gap clearance...... I believe that would equal total headspace?? I have no idea what should be proper in a shotgun but .006" in most rifles is excessive..... This is more of a question than a statement so please be gentle. LOLOL Larry

keoni thanked this.
  16. RichTozer

RichTozer Member

Would think that anything les ls than 0.00" tolerance would cause undue wear/stress in the long term.

2llc thanked this.
  17. JEB

JEB Active Member

A piece of plain paper is approximately .003" thick. Tear off a strip and slip it in between the barrel and the receiver. If it pulls out freely then you know that the gap is more than .003. If there is a distinct drag or if it is tight, you should be ok. However nothing beats a qualified gunsmith taking a look.

JEB

2llc thanked this.
  18. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

Any gap in a hinged receiver/barrel assembly equates to an angle between the two, not two parallel surfaces. The more the gap the more the angle. Rifle, pistol or shotgun makes no difference as the bore, chamber and shell should be at 90° to the receiver for strength and accuracy. Larry

Roger C thanked this.
  19. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Yes and No. That would be the likely case with interchanging Perazzi barrels in my experience. However, worn pivot pins/barrel lumps can get the gun off face and still have the faces parallel - and this is not uncommon at all.

2llc thanked this.
  20. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

Semperfi, in the case of worn pieces would it be necessary for the base of the shell to protrude past the chamber bore to "take up the slack?" or does the locking of the lever pull things into line? Larry