1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

go buy a new car

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by drh08, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Do the American thing and purchase a new car. New stimulus package has tax credit for all sales tax. Which means you don't pay sales tax on a new car. You should get some good deals as things are rough out there.
    Used car values are going to take a hit as this is like taking $1500 off a new car from the government on top of what you can do at the dealer.

2. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

Wanted to buy a new Challenger, only one locally in Cody, found some at Folsom Lake Dodge in California. They "ONLY" wanted $20,000 OVER MSRP for the SRT's and $18,000 OVER MSRP for the R/Ts!! WTF?????

Rich

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Nest time you shop wear your work clothes and leave the Rolex at home.

HM

4. kenf

kenf Active Member

Rich,

There are a lot of new Challengers here in SW PA. Pretty much have your pick too- from the base model p to the SRT-8. Lots of colors too.

5. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

Hey!! I was shopping over the phone -- he couldn't see my Rolex! Interesting though, I found one in Billings, MT and they only wanted $10,000 over MSRP for an SRT! I am going to expand my search to east of the Mississippi via the 'net. Northwest Wyoming/Southern Montana ain't a good place to be looking for new rigs.

Thanks Ken, would you happen to have any contactinformation in SW PA?

Rich

6. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

drh08,

You said,"Which means you don't pay sales tax on a new car."

That is not quite the case. The sales tax is deductible from your gross income. Assuming you were in the 25% tax bracket and the sales tax on the vehicle was $3,200, you would have a "savings of $3,200 X 0.25 or $800. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but you still are out a net of $2,400.

That is not to say that this is not a great time to buy a car, IF YOU NED ONE. The question is, "do you need one?". Buying something you don't need 'cause it's cheap is a step down the road to poverty in this uncertain economy.

HBT

7. blazer49

blazer49 TS Member

I don't need a new car. I don't have or need a boat. Give me a deal on a new shotgun or on a skid of AAs. Dammit sell me something I need and want. Why should I consume just for the sake of consumption. I never have done that in the past and do not intend to start now.

8. sharhope

sharhope Member

Here in Washington State we write off sales tax against income as we dont have an income tax. How will this help anything here?

9. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

rrrocketman...rouse chrysler,jeep-dodge in grundy center iowa has a 09 red challenger R/T. i go by there frequently & it is sitting there.this is a very small dealership run out of an old gas station.i bet they don,t have 15-20 new cars total.on the lot across the street & in front of the station. area code will either be 641 or 515. .i don,t know which as the area codes snake up through there.. good luck... dwain

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Make a good ($10,000 or less) car, that gets good mileage, seats 5, and looks nice. People will be banging down the doors. That was Henry Fords way, and he took over the market. Think outside the box. Make something people want.....

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If the dealers and sales help get a chance to screw you they will at all cost because they are the only forms of life lower than Attorneys and whale shit ... No body is paying over sticker out in this area and yet the cars sit there collecting dust ... I offered the one dealer his invoice for a SRT8 Challenger and walked away, they have called several times and I won't answer the phone ... I would have to sell my 1967 Plymouth or I don't have a place to park any more cars inside ... I plan on listing my car at my leisure with Cactus Classics and checking out the 2009 Challenger once it sells because the parking problem I have now will be eliminated once this Plymough sells ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

WPT, really?? car salesman? - "they are the only forms of life lower than Attorneys and whale shit".

I didn't think anything could get lower than a lawyer. Now a car salesman may be lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut, but that is still somewhat higher than a low life lawyer. IMHO

WPT, why are you looking at a Challenger, numerous times on this website you have described anything made by the big 3 as nothing but crap, and you're wanting to buy a Dodge?

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

WPT

"If the dealers and sales help get a chance to screw you they will at all cost because they are the only forms of life lower than Attorneys and whale shit"

I didn't know that Whale Do Do was a life form!!!!!.....LOL

Bob Lawless

14. JH

JH Well-Known Member

REMEMBER WHO HELP PUT OBAMA AND GUN CONTROL ADVOCATES IN POWER WHEN YOU BUY A CAR: THE UAW UNION!

You want us gun-owners to support the Unions who put Obama in power???? Not happening!

15. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

For the money a Challenger costs - especially if you have to pay over sticker - go buy a Nissan GTR. That is if you want a rocket sportscar that will both hold its value AND a corner.....

Joe

16. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Marine:

My research says it's a tax credit, not a deduction. Tax credits reduce the actual tax you are paying. So if you pay 30k in taxes and you paid 1k in taxes on your car, you pay 29k in taxes. There were several version out there but this is the one that passed.

If I am wrong let me know, my old truck died at 240k miles and now I am replacing it.

17. drh08

drh08 TS Member

My bad, you are correct it's a deduction and not a credit

18. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

shot410 Henry didnt have to deal with the epa and all the other stupid federal regs to build a car if he had he would have never rolled a single one out.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Bangalore, are you sure blacks and liberal pukes didn't put the black liberal puke in office?

HM

20. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

SC has a $300.00 cap on vehicle sales tax so the sales tax break, whether a deduction or credit, it not much of an incentive. But then, we went for McCain, so this is probably done on purpose to deny usm as dissenters and apostates to the NEW ORDER, of any benefit from the stimulus package. HeHeHe!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.