1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GMV super star 12 volt conversion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gun fitter, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Have a GMV ATM want to convert to 12 volt and solar charger. Has anyone done this? Would you change the motor or use an inverter and batteries. I know that there is a significant amount of electronic circuits.

any Idea on cost? Any help appreciated.

Joe goldberg

2. RLC323

RLC323 Member

That is an interesting question. I expect an experienced electrician could figure how many 12 volt deep cycle batteries are needed to provide the amps it would take to power the 1 horsepower main motor. I am guessing that going through a 110 inverter would be best. The length of time you need to run the trap also would come into play, it may be possible for a short run of a half-hour or so. Also you may need some sort of low-voltage cut-off from the inverter, as low volts to an ac motor can be a problem long term.

From there the size of the solar array could be figured for battery replenishment, as the number of panels needed to "run" the trap would probably be cost prohibitive.

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Could you use the inverter hooked up to a vehicle battery and leave the vehicle running? Maybe a generator? I'm trying to work around the solar panals here because of the cost.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Get a Generac xi2000 - Lowes sells them for about 6 bills. Weighs less than 50 lbs., peak Wattage is 2200.

2000 watt generator should handle any load the machine can draw.

I've seen the wobble version run on 20 Amp circuits (would be rated at 2400 Watts) with over 600 feet of power chord so I suspect that allowing for voltage drop even a 15 Amp circuit (rated at 1800 Watts) would do the trick if it were close enough.

These machines have two motors (regular ATA model) or three (if it is wobble too). The motors have several capacitors - I assume one running and one starting, so the actual draw should be manageable.

Only way to be sure would be to put an Amp meter in line with the unit and record the current draw as it 'does it's thing'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.