1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GMC/CHEVY E85 Question?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Texas Ton, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Are you wanting to know what the difference is with the actual fuels? Do you have an E85 pump near you? Or one coming soon?

I only know a couple of guys that have new E85 rigs, that have been able to put enough E85 in for a test and not much of one at that, because we don't have an stations here even within 50 miles.

But they have gone places that had it and they filled up there, which still isn't much of a test for a couple of tanks and the used it in town-----if you want to call Dallas a town that would typify city driving.

The closest I would guestimate one of them came, is driving down then driving back after filling up with E85, but they came home against a 30-40 mph headwind/crosswind. They got almost 21 going down, got just over 16 coming back on E85. Running 70, other than a few shells and guns, they were empty.

Oh, this one also has a bedcover.

2. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

If you do a web search and weight the pro E85 sites against the anti's, you will see that the one issue they agree one is that E85, due to less enrgy per gallon compared to regular, leaves the performance per gallon at a wash. Myself, I wouldn't buy a truck just because of it, but I would pay attention to research in this area and watch for breakthroughs in performance per gallon. But that's me. As others here have said, "Your mileage may vary".

3. lvshooter

lvshooter TS Member

Fuel is cheaper, mileage is less as well as horsepower. Not worth the difference to me

4. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

neighbor has a new silverado, good looking truck. Anyways he gets around 12 in town but the e85 is consistantly 75 cents to a dollar cheaper. Around here means central Indiana.

5. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

well I have been doing some testing in this area. E fuel or Ethanol is not the answer. Its a total wash, do to the aded consumption. And here is another little tidbit. Small engines like mowers,blowers,pressure washers,trimmers and generaters do not like it one bit.Be advised as they say! Don

6. richrob

richrob TS Member

E85 is about 1/3 less efficent as gas, so it needs to be about 1/3 less cost. If gas is $3 a gallon, and E85 is less than $2 buy it, but you probably won't find it that much cheaper.

Also, mixing the two fuels on a regular basis can cause damage to your engine and injection system.

I have a new Impala with E85, and will probably never fill up with it. -Rich

7. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

When you get a price on your new truck, drop me an email. I work at a Chevrolet dealership in Missouri, There is a shooter on here that has offered their GM retirees discount so I may be able to save you some money on a new truck. I think that it is about 8% savings. The above posts are correct.

John

8. deadapair17

deadapair17 TS Member

E-85 is 20-25% less efficent, so not only the mileage is reduced be that amount, but be ready for a lot less horsepower (20-25%). Don

9. mizzou

mizzou TS Member

Never noticed a dropoff in horsepower...E-85 is 110 octane..If anything, I think my Suburban runs better, starts better, and is overall sparkier with E-85..Still have to do the math to see if I break even. On longer trips milage is better and that's when I fill up..Mizzou

10. Almcvey

Almcvey Member

10% lless mileage in the truck as well as 07 impala. Can't tell which fuel your using by driving, only checking the mileage.. 25mpg on the car 17mpg on the truck.

11. slick50

slick50 Member

I understand that the milage and performance is a little lower but in the big picture the more E85 we all use at any level will reduce our dependence on expensive imported oil. Also E85 is renewable and we can continue to make it forever??? Just wondering... Its not available at many locations in the Northeast yet.

12. kolar12

kolar12 Member

But you have to use oil to manufacture it.

13. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Parker Guy,
    I own an E85 2003 Tahoe, 5.3. When I picked the vehicle up in Houston, E85 was a penny or two cheaper. I will not buy the stuff since you do get 20% less fuel mileage and a definite decrease in power output. The experts have tested and proven this several times in the past. Do Google searchs and read the Car&Driver report on E-85! The only reason that GM has made millions of these engine combo's is to avoid a 200 million dollar fine on CAFE requlations. Read the websites from GM techs about the cold weather starting problems with E-85. Keep reading and reading!
    Their is no magical method of obtaining better mileage. The position of your right foot on the "Go Pedal" determines your mileage. Yes, I get 15 mpg around town and 19.5 on the interstates @ 70 mph. Yes my Tahoe weighs 5000 lbs. and thats good mileage for this weight. If you can wait, GM is bringing out a 4.5 "DuraMax diesel" in 2009 that fits the conv. cab pickups etc. Fuel Mileage is reported to be 25% better and very clean burning also. Unfortunately, there are some very expensive "cats" and parts to meet the clean air diesel requirements. The Feds (EPA) do not care what it costs you and me for repairs/service & fuel. Shoot well and take a friend with you on your next shoot trip!
    Sincerely,
    Jet Boat Bill

14. deadapair17

deadapair17 TS Member

Mizzou, the octane rating has nothing to do with power or mileage. The only number that does have everything to do with it is BTU per gallon. Less BTU means less power and mileage evertime.

Slick50, there is no evidence that we are saving any foreign oil using E-85. It takes very nearly the same petroleum oil input in the fertilizing, growing, harvesting, and production of it than the BTU's that we end up with when we use it. The real kicker is the amount of water that we have "given away".

15. richrob

richrob TS Member

Anybody is that is getting 10% less mileage with E85 must be doing something special, or not driving as hard when they fill up with it. If 10% were the difference I think everybody would be using it as it is cheaper.

This form of energy is not sustainable using its current manufacturing process. It requires more energy to produce a gallon than what is contained in it.

The only reason it is cheaper than gas is because it is heavily subsidized by the government. Plus people like to feel good about themselves driving a FlexFuel Tahoe that gets 11gpm, after all, they are helping the environment.

I think that the money they are pouring into it, while good for the farmers, would be better used researching a viable alternative fuel. For example, algae yields a much greater energy output, hell, even peanuts, sunflower seeds and cotton produce more gallons per acre. -Rich

16. richrob

richrob TS Member

The link is to a website I created with a partner last fall for a course in energy systems. The professer was all about this stuff so we had to talk it up a little.

It is on BioDiesel, but a lot of the principals are the same. If you go to the sources page, and look at the extended table you will see that corn is the worst to use. They actually extract more energy from the corn stalks than the ears. -Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.