1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GM technicain needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by steele, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steele

steele TS Member

I have a 2005 GMC Yukon that hasn't been running just right. It's not bad, just not right. I ran a diagnotic on it & I got a DTC, B-0229. I can't find what that indicates. I'm thinking plugged up Cat comverter, but I really don't feel like tearing the exhaust apart to verify. if the DTC will point out the problem. I'm looking for someone who knows anything about DTCs. I contacted the service dept at the dealer, but they wouldn't devulge any info. They want me to bring it in.

2. emm2

emm2 Member

Well a B 0229 is a body control code for the recirculation actuator. This is part of the heating and air conditioning system. This code will mean jack shit to diagnosing a running bad concern. I would recommend scanning the correct system of the car, smoke test it for vacuum leaks and check fuel pressure. You need to be able to look at live data to see what the oxygen sensors are doing and such. Basically you don't have this equipment so unless you want to screw around for weeks replacing the wrong parts and getting false information, you will need to take it and have a technician look at it.

3. gncc600

gncc600 TS Member

In my experience a cat that is plugged up will overheat and I have even seen them glow red. I would not think this would be your problem unless your have very high mileage.

4. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Some auto parts stores will pull your trouble codes for free. Check around. Then tell me how many miles and engine size. That will help in the trouble shooting.

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I'm not a GM tech. I work for Toyota. Take it to your dealer. They have the tools to do the job right. Now what I would do is ask who is you best tech and have him or her work on your Yukon. It will save you time and money.

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

just googled the code, hit the link above or cut and paste this

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?s=68971b194ff63e836231f3ba1f1c4985&showtopic=79008&st=0&p=608058&#entry608058

7. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Muzzleblast: one time you put the heater / air condition on recirc and it probably stuck so it set a body code.emm2 is dead on. check powertrain control module for codes and look at live data ,check fuel pressure, then smoke test for vaccum leaks. Depending on miles if convertor is plugged it could be warranty under emissions warranty.good luck. birdtracker

8. TC

TC TS Member

Agree with Birdtracker, a 2005 should be covered under emissions warranty. I would take it to the dealer.

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

That code could mean jack shit as the dampers and valves are driven by vacuum, and it sounds like you have a vacuum leak

10. emm2

emm2 Member

Catpower, that code DOES mean JACK SHIT because if you know what you are talking about the recirc door on this vehicle is run by an electric actuator not vacuum. I will agree there may be a vacuum leak hence why I recommended a smoke test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.