1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GM shuts down pickup line - lack of Japanese parts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Maybe if GM made their parts in America they might not have this problem.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Thanks, Brian -- that made my day! Ever since GM stabbed their bondholders in the back and went on welfare, any bad news for them is music to my ears. Corporate karma for the evil, LOL.

-Gary

3. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Amen Brian. Bad part is, they won't learn anything from it.

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The Dodge/Cummins also use automatic transmissions made by Aisin in Japan.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

it seems that all of the US automakers cars with fancy electronics..gps etc. not to mention most basic engine and sub-systems management ..that is all stuff 3rd partied from Japan...it will affect them all foriegn and domestic ..how badly is the question..Hate GM or not..they represent a lot incomes that the workers and their families nor the countries, state, local coffers can afford to lose

6. charlie01

charlie01 TS Member

Toolmaker 251, you may want to check on your facts about the dodge diesel transmissions. Last I knew all of dodge transmissions are made in Kokomo Indiana. The dodge diesel trucks use the 68rfe automatic transmission.

7. Brian in Oregon

Calvin, the loss of parts shutting down lines will affect US workers, yes, but that's putting the cart before the horse. The real issue is how many US workers have been affected by jobbing parts overseas in the first place?

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Charlie01, I checked my facts. The 68rfe is used in the 2500/3500 Dodge/Cummins but the 3500/4500/5500 chassis cab uses the as68rc transmission which is made in Japan by Aisin.

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Americans manipulated by the anti-American auto press and the .govt fuel crisis decided to buy Japanese cars is the reason American car makers got in problems to start with. If we had voted in politicians that would have insisted on fair trade agreements for America we wouldn't be in this mess. Instead we have representatives that are in the pocket of big business, Foreign owned big business for the most part. But the beat goes on and most Americans remain ignorant and drink the koolaid spooned to them by the .govt and liberal controlled press and keep driving your foreign vehicles.

GM didn't stab stockholders in the back, Obama did that himself even going as far as firing the CEO of the company which he evidently granted himself the power to do.

If you think GM is the only company that will be affected by the crisis in Japan you might ought to wake up. Their problems are going to have a huge negative effect on our economy. Well maybe not Geraldo says that the Japanese disaster will have a positive effect that it will be good for the economy because of all the rebuilding they will get to do. I could hardly believe my ears but I heard him say it myself. I wonder how many agree with him?

10. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Why don't you check the the stuff you own and see where it and all the parts come from. If everything is US made very good . If not You are part of the problem!Ken U

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

There are websites that you can look up USA made and/or Union made companies. It is getting darn hard to buy this stuff. I have actually talked to store managers about USA made items. One thing I have noticed is that when they do stock the USA made stuff, it is the bottom of the line, and the imported stuff is the better grade. When I check the websites, the USA companies have better line stuff available at prices that are pretty close the same. Companies like REDWING and CARHART have started slipping foreign goods into their line and charging the same price as the USA products. Shopping right is pretty much a full time job.

I hope we learned something with the shut down of Japanese supply. Henry FORD learned the lesson years ago, don't only have one supplier. That is why he invested in his own tire plant, his own steel mill, his owm battery plant, etc. That prevented supplier problems from shutting down his plants, and keep the suppliers honest with a fair price. Hopefully, the Americans will see the value in sourcing parts made in the USA, at least as part of their supply.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That doesn't make sense. the news this morning said that boats that left Japan just before the quake were
    just now arriving in the US.

So the automakers are using this as an excuse to hold higher prices even though the projected shortage is not having an effect yet.

American consumers are thought to be fools by the big boys, I guess.

HM

13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

A comment posted to The Wall Street Journal article "Quake-Related Shortage Idles GM Plant"

I work for a small manufacturing company in a southern US state which is owned by second generation Korean Americans. We fabricate metal racks for the auto industry parts material handling. We find it very hard to compete with similar companies located in Korea. It is cheaper for them to buy steel locally in Korea, fabricate the rack and ship it oversees to one of our customers literally next door than it is for us to buy the steel in the U.S. and make the racks here. The key element is the steel prices are much cheaper in Korea. If we had the money, we would buy large quantities of their steel to warehouse here–then we could be competitive.

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

halfmile says "So the automakers are using this as an excuse to hold higher prices even though the projected shortage is not having an effect yet"

That is the way it works and it really gripes my a**. The price of gasoline in the tanks at the local gas station is not determined by what it cost to put it there but by what it will cost to replace it.

15. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

the used machine market is also taking advantage of the situation....I have talked to two different shop owners that have had the price on machines they were looking to buy increased because the dealers said there would be problems getting new machines.

tony

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

true...the companys have sold us out already

17. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

True about Henry Ford but, Fordlandia, his attempt at a rubber plantation in the Amazon, was one of his biggest failures.

18. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

DODGE DOES USE AN AISEN TRANS, ONLY IN SOME CHASSIS CAB APPLICATIONS BECAUSE THEIR DOMESTIC TRANS DOES NOT HAVE A PTO.

FORD IS IN THE WORST SHAPE CONCERNING THE JAPANESE PARTS SUPPLY. THEIR HYBRIDS
    USE SANYO BATTERY PACS AND THEY USE OTHER JAPENESE ELECTRICAL MODULES AND CIRCUIT BOARDS.

19. Brian in Oregon

LUGNUTZ426, quote: "DODGE DOES USE AN AISEN TRANS, ONLY IN SOME CHASSIS CAB APPLICATIONS BECAUSE THEIR DOMESTIC TRANS DOES NOT HAVE A PTO.

FORD IS IN THE WORST SHAPE CONCERNING THE JAPANESE PARTS SUPPLY. THEIR HYBRIDS USE SANYO BATTERY PACS AND THEY USE OTHER JAPENESE ELECTRICAL MODULES AND CIRCUIT BOARDS."

SHOUTING IN ALL CAPS. YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT.

20. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Sorry, I am hard of hearing, I did not realize i was talking too loudly. I apologize for the assault on your fragile senses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.