1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GM: Needs to Learn a Lot

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Maybe they still don't get it. Went to a local GM dealer to check the problem on a keyfob..the electronic kind that opens locks, trunk, and has a panic alarm. Dealer checked it, gratis. I need a new fob, it had failed. 1999 Buick with low miles. Cost: New fob and $57.00 to reprogram it!!! Reprogramming it is a five minute job, or thereabouts.

In the showroom I observed a beautiful car: A 2009 Chevy ZR-1 Vette, you know, the new limited edition supercharged one. Sticker: $117K. Asking: A "mere" $60K over to an asking $177K. I hope that car sits and sits and the tires rot before it is sold. And then...the dealer will have to buy new tires, let alone pay for the flooring on about $100K.

I just drove on without a working fob. Anybody know how to beat the cost on that one? Any mechanic out there?

They will reap what the sow..and come to think of it, the GD Infiniti dealer up the street also tried to pull a fast one; wanted to sell an unneeded injector cleaning for the G35 that had two years and 12K miles on it. I had to cross exam the service manager to find out that such was not required to maintain warranty. Like pulling teeth to get a straight answer.

No wonder people have no empathy for the auto industry; at least I'm semi-clued in. I think mainstream car buyers/users are just disgusted for being hosed over their adult lives and may take perverse satisfaction in seeing Detroit go down the tubes. Heck, the Japanese car makers "won" cause the standards they had to beat were low, particularly at the end crook, err...end sales level...our wonderful car dealers.

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Yeah, we should support them fully for such wonderful and fairly priced service.

3. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Almost ten years for $57,I can't feel sorry for that,sorry...GOOD LUCK

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

No, have to buy the new fob upfront and then pay $57.00 for five minutes labor.

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I thought I lost one of a pair of key fobs for my 2002 Tundra and I paid about $125 for a new fob and to reprogram the old and new for new security codes.

A week later, I found the lost fob and went back to the Toyota dealer. I have the dealer perform all of the service on my Tundra and they have always been fair. The tech I normally deal with reprogrammed all three fobs at no charge.

Ed Ward

6. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Yep it's GM's fault because they wouldn't reprogram a 10 year old key fob for nothing, the bastardards.

In this brave new high tech world you can't compare labor rates for old style physical labor to electronic processes. No telling what the machine to reprogram keys cost.

Too bad we all have to have all this sophisticated crap on our cars, but them what would we bitch about?

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If you realy feel like bitching try going to a hospital emergency room for example a kidney stone. 3.5 hours later $7,500 bill.

8. The Kissable Wanker

The Kissable Wanker TS Member

Same stuff goes on at the ToyoHonaHunnaDay dealers, I know from personal and friends experiences.

You want some cheese to go with that Whine?

9. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I agree Chango2, It's not bad enough that they hose you for the part, but then $57 to program the new fob is just adding insult to injury. I needed a new resistor for the blower motor on my truck, the GMC dealer wanted $120 for a new one. I bought a new one for $50 from Amazon.com! These gouging stealerships are a big problem in the auto industry, and I know for a fact that GM refuses to do anything about them. It is hard to feel sorry for the big three after the way they have treated the consumer for years.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They all suck. It's as if they think there is a never ending line of incompetent fools for them to take advantage of.

Wifey's car had a little bitty heat shield about the size of a shoe sole fall off because of a rusted clamp.

The warranty was in effect, so they replaced the whole exhaust system, from the engine back. seems the computer wouldn't let them replace the clamp.

good deal, you say? Not if you understand their waste makes the next car cost more.

A 10 cent radiator hose clamp would have been ok by me.

I'm going back to used vehicles.

HM

11. DJM

DJM Member

I have no problem with the product the big 3 are putting out. I'll continue to buy them. But they have a huge PR problem with the $100,000/year fork lift driver of urban legend. Any factory that offers $15/hour with average benefits will have few problems getting all the good workers they need. Yet we are to believe the UAW needs 2 or 3 times that much along with dream boat health & welfare plans and control of the work rules. And it is a fair assumption management compensation is equally generous. Pay your workers all you want, as long as we have a free market I do not care. But when you ask these same $15/hour workers with no pension plan and the rest of the taxpayers to subsidize your high wages, that steps over a line we simply should not cross. The vast majority of us must bring a quality product or service to the market at competitive rates or we lose our jobs. Why should it be any different for the auto industry?

12. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Zlastone,

You haven’t been to Japan lately if you think that their workforce is working for 29 cents an hour.

Do a little studying on how some of the “global” auto manufacturers manage their companies. The information is available for the American big three. Like it or not, GM/Ford/Chrysler are also global manufacturers.

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I wonder what happens at GM, Ford or Chrysler when they replace long time workers with new workers earning one half as much as other worker doing the same job.

Don't get me wrong as these new workers are probably good workers looking to make a buck. However, IMO, the longer term worker probably has developed a proficiency about his or her job that the newer worker will take a while to learn.

In places where I have worked, mostly technical software positions (before I retired and became a teacher), a two or three year experienced worker was head and shoulders above a new hire.

Also, with teaching, it takes a few years to become proficient. The first year is difficult to say the least.

IMO, companies get the best of both worlds when they pay their people a good wage and have a stable, loyal work force.

And then there is that story (or fact) about cars made on Monday.

Ed Ward

14. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Heard on the news that GM was considering nixing Pontiac and Saturn. Good God whats left. They cut Oldsmobile to promote Pontiac and Buick.

The way I see it , if Bob Lutz and team doesnt make a hit with the Chevy Volt GM might as well kiss the passenger car market good by if it isnt already.

School Teacher is right. How much do you pay someone to give a damn?

Regards.....Gerald

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I gave up on the US auto industry back in 1999, though I have tried to find a reason to go back to the Big 3 on several occasions I cannot find anything or a logical reason why I should ... I was as Pro American as anybody until I finally had enough and started buying vehicles from the competetion who hail from Japan and Korea but usually have plants here in the states and if they don't, I really could care less ... I like 10 year, 100,000 miles warrantees especially since you seldom have to use them but if you do you get treated like they really want your business ... I find it interesting that the US auto makers find the need for Bailout Money when the others all seem to be doing just fine ... If I can buy a vehicle from an importer I will anytime I can rather than deal with the trash in the US auto dealers and or the garbage they are selling ... I do not owe them anything and will probably never buy another car from them unless I absolutely have to have something that I cannot get any where else ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The biggest problem the big 3 had is the mental set of their dealers. I heard the speech that is drummed into a person who attended the GM Institue. If any who knows it can post it verbatum, we would all know what the real proble is.

Lou

17. shadow

shadow Active Member

A great dealer is far more important to me than the company that made the car/truck. Most of the factories are putting out vehicles that are about the same in quality. It is the dealer that will go to bat for me that makes a big difference. Fortunately, I have found one and will stick with them as long as possible.

When I tell people how well I have been treated at this dealership they are amazed. Dont believe that treating folks like family is profitable? In the last year I have helped that dealersip sell 5 other families a vehicle.

If you are in my area and need/want a vehicle PM me and I'll "tune you in" on this remarkable dealer.

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I have a question and wonder if anyone knows the answer.

If the Big 3 go down, where will you buy the parts to keep the older cars/trucks running? You won't have a dealer to go to.

Who is going to make these parts if the Big 3 goes belly up?

Just a thought.......

Hauxfan!

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

BTW, my original point was that I have found most US car dealers to try and hose the customer. In our family, we have two GM products that we really like; a supercharged Buick and a Duramax truck. Excellent content and product. Our third vehicle is a Japanese sport sedan.

The Chevy dealer has tried to hose here and there. The Buick dealer has been fair and honest. The Japanese dealer has a fancy lounge, "free" expresso and fresh fruit, a beautiful environment, and has been blatant in trying to fool this customer. That dealer even scratched the interior of the rather expensive G35.

But...I have found, as a generalization, U.S. car dealers to be the "worst"...with some wonderful exceptions. And I have found at least one dealership of a higher end Japanese line to try and hose the customer.

I still maintain that since cars are now more reliable, the dealer can be tempted to build profit through some gouging and through trying to sell stuff not needed in the service department. It is the service department, afterall, that really carries the majority of the load for profit. It is also a place to legally "steal" if a dealer chooses to do so.

20. Richshoots

Richshoots TS Member

You seem to be confused between what responsibility the manufacturer has and what he does in certain situations and what service ( or lack of ) is provided by the dealer which is a separately and indepently owned and operated business.

GM does not need to learn a lot - you do. This is from a guy that worked for the Chevrolet Motor Division all my adult life.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.