1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GM Moving Engine Line To Mexico!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Cray, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cray

Cray Member

GM is moving the engine line from Tonawanda, N.Y. and moving it to Mexico!
    I thought us taxpayer's now own the company.
    Why don't our NY politicians say NO, we own you and if you move the line, we'll stop giving you more money. You can get the money from Mexico.
    I posed this question to the local union yesterday, and they said it was a good question! They evidently are not trying to stop it!
    I am self employed, but I have a lot of clients that belong to the unions.
    I also called our representatives and asked them why they are not trying to stop the move. So far no answers! Your thoughts? Cray

2. atashooter

atashooter Member

I worked for GM from 1984 to 2002. Most all of the replacement engines I installed, had MEXICO casted on the side of the engine block. So it has been going on for a long time. We actually made jokes that one day we would crack open a crate and a dead mexican would fall out.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Where else would it be possible to make the V3 Al Gore green power plant?

4. white rattler

white rattler Member

Good place for them. Trevor Dawe.

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Hard to "Buy American" when all of the parts are made in Mexico or Canada. I wonder where the Toyota and Honda parts are mdae... I know where they are assembled. Fred

6. atashooter

atashooter Member

Amen, fssberson... When I worked for GM, I always heard folks saying " I buy American", well yes, GM is an American company, but I am standing there, looking at an engine stamped with Mexico, installing parts on it that say Singapore, Canada, Germany, Sweden.... I mean, c'mon... Yes, granted there was parts from Kokomo Indiana, and Moraine - Dayton, Ohio. But there was a pile of foreign parts though...

7. bocephus

bocephus Member

Our own government is who pushes our companies to go to other countries with stiffer regulations and taxes. Purposely done of course, how else are they going to bring us down to 3rd world status. They stated that their intent was to lower the American economy to 1/5 its size. They are well on their way.

8. bird_buster

bird_buster TS Member

Sounds like a great plan to me. Between this and selling Hummer to a company from China they will be able to improve their bottomline. This will make them prfitable again, just ask the recent law school graduate that Barack Hussein Obama appointed to make these decisions. I am certain China and Mexico will be taking great pride ensure that these products that are sold back to us are all manufactured in "Green" plants and thier labor force is treated very well. We all know how much China and Mexico value environmental policy. I am sure they will do a fine job.

Ok sure we will loose some jobs and of course some Tax revenue, which is what is paying GM's bills these days. So what, we have this stimulus plan in place that will help put these folks back to work for the summer building bridges. We'll be fine don't worry. :)The goverment will give them insurance and a job and if none if this works we can always loan ourselves some money by printing a little extra next month. See its easy, anyone can figure this out, piece of cake.

Any more problems for our brilliant leader to solve? We are soooo SCREWED!!! We need a leader and we need it NOW!!! Not in 2010 or 2012.

Cheers,
    SMK

9. bocephus

bocephus Member

All 20 million illegals will be law abiding democrat voting citizens before the 2010 election so all this talk about taking our country back is just that, all talk, won't happen, especially with acorn in charge.

Bird buster is correct, has to be now or never, I predict never.........

10. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Technically there is a difference between buying US and buying American. Mexico is part of america and Canada is too. So when we say buy american we really mean buy US. I think the politicans like to play this game of technicalites. Moving the engine plant to Mexico is just another Obama plan for Socializing the US and trying to make all countries equal which is total BS.

11. atashooter

atashooter Member

You watch,... before his term is out, Obama will suggest that by bringing Mexico on as a State, It will bring the jobs back to The U.S. that was lost, will increase the population by enough that the income tax will payoff the Trillions in the defecit, and will solve the Illegal Immigration problem. 3 birds one stone. You wait, I beleive he'll suggest it. He's just that kind of an A*hole.

12. wopahoe

wopahoe Member

Why do you think Ford didn't need a bailout? They are already in Mexico thanks to our labor friendly ex president (bill clinton) NAFTA. Remember what Ross Perow said about the loud sucking sound, that is the sound of jobs leaving America.

13. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

look what happened to the elcamino, junk

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Dodge has been making it's 2500-3500 series trucks in Mexico for years now. You would think with all this work going to Mexico all the wetbacks would be going home.

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

It's really pretty ironic.

Our very own government puts restrictions on our water, how our workers are treated and just about everything which ultimately raises the price of these products.

So then the companies move their plants to Mexico where they have no restrictions and make the parts and ship them back to us cheaper than we can make them because of all the OSHA laws and restrictions.

And then they wonder why?

It's all about the almighty dollar.

Someday, they may wake up and figure out........no one that lives in the USofA can afford to buy there products because we don't have good jobs. And the people that live in Mexico can't because they don't make enough to buy them.

Hauxfan!

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I used to make sales calls at a GM engine plant in Mexico in the early 1980's. They've been there a long time.

17. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Cray,
    Approx. three years ago GM/Chevrolet moved all the 5.7 and 7.4 engine mfg. & service parts to the Mexico facilties. BUT THEY LET THEM do want they want in order to make delivery dates and cost targets. The castings are also inferior in surface finish and material quality. These defects are visible at arms length to a trained eye. Very sad situation. The old parts coming out of salvage are getting thin in supply and often have other physical problems. Now the 7.4 is discontinued. But the good news is that aftermarket manufacturers like Dart/USA are making far superior blocks and head castings then even the Bowtie stuff. But of course the unit costs are higher.
    More $4.00 gallon gas will further decrease the demand for these V-8's
    It does not look like the internal combustion ground pounding V-8's will survive. I see us going to V-6 turbo-diesels with VERY EXPENSIVE catalytic convertors ($6000.00 each)THESE WERE SUPPOSED TO BE BUILT in the old Tonawanda Chevy engine plant this fall, but GM has no tooling money etc. in order to complete the plan. Last underground word was that GM was looking for another Company/Partnership in order to bring about the "Duramax V-6 USA design" So the future is dim for the Tonawanda Plant.
    Respectfully submitted,
    Jet Boat Bill

18. crusha

crusha TS Member

This is the future of American automobiles. Most every American automotive company larger than a few hundred employees has some kind of "sister plant" in Mexico these days. Over the past 15~20 years, a tremendous manufacturing base has been built up down there, and it will now become the "end game" for American auto and parts manufacturing.

All Obama has done is accelerate the process. We would have got there anyway...but he is just tramping down the gas pedal on it.

And all you "union construction" type guys who voted for Obama, don't laugh...once we get 12 million new citizens, I hope you are ready to see a whole bunch more Mexicans competing for your jobs. You won't have to go to Mexico; it's coming to you.

19. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Have any of you employed a Mexican? They will out work two of us . Just dont leave anything that you want around,it will disappear.We had a job up here in WV and the union put up a pickett. The mexicans stold the union guys trucks and none was ever found. No more pickett GO MEXICO

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If we ship enough manufacturers to Mexico maybe the illegals will move back and solve our immigration crisis for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.