1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GM Crate or Jasper?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Rebel Sympathy, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Howdy, Boys:

Well, I am not a happy camper. My '97 Z-71 died yesterday with 107,000 miles on the clock. I have put only 2,000 miles on it since I bought it. I bought this "Anti-Christ" about 6-months ago and have spent a fortune on it. This was after a close personal inspection and also, hiring a professional mechanic (a close personal friend) to go over it. But, that was then - this is now.... Today, oil pressure is about "0". It's done.

So now, I am wondering if anyone out there in shotgun-land who can tell me of their experiences with either Jasper or GM crate engines. Both seem to cost about the same; both have the same warranty; one is remanufactured; one is made new - but in Mexico - not that there's anything wrong with that.

It seems I'm destined to end up with $13,000 in a 1997 Chev Z-71 with 107k on the clock. GEEE-ZO BEEE-ZO. I may as well put my money with Bernie Madoff.

Wishing I had bought a Ford....

Mike

2. Raymobolt

Raymobolt TS Member

Just got off the phone with my mastermehanic buddy.
    Talking to Jim about both engines he's said he's but I'm 32 jasper motors with one issue. They paid the mechnic to resolve every issue they have ever had with them. The GM crate motor he did say he's had about 35% of them majorly malfunction, especially the ones from Mexico. (GM was not so nice to deal with over these customer service issues and reimbursed him about half of the time)
    Shoot me a private message and we can talk about his issue some more over he phone if you would like.
    Jasper all the way
    Raymo

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If jasper is USA and the same warranty why would you want to go any where else!

4. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Being from Indiana, and a GM tech for many years, I have had several dealings with both.

Many years ago, Jasper had a bad name in the automotive rebuilders circles, and in the 70's, I had several problems with some of their re-builds myself.

That said, at that time I was sold on the GM Targetmaster engines, and would use nothing else.

Now, moving ahead 35 years, I am not so keen on the GM re-builds, and believe Jasper has really cleaned up their act!

A friend recently bought a 4.3 GM crate engine, installed it himself in his S-10, and has had issues ever since. An oil leak developed, and the GM garage installed several rear main seals before finally installing a new engine for him.(bad crank)

Last month, an oil leak came up on the new engine, and GM was able to replace the front timing cover seal successfully.

I'll admit, GM did take very good care of him(loaner car, etc.) during his problem times, but he is still not really satisfied.

I believe I would have to lean toward the Jasper reman., and I think you'll be happy.

Just my humble opinion.

Danny

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Summit Racing or Jegs, they build them right the first time ... They use the best componants and are as close to bullet proof as you'll get ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

+1 on the Summit engines. You can get an engine built from the ground up with more HP and Torque than either of the stock engines. There are numerous choices of HP/TQ ratings to suit your GM needs. They are built with better parts and have just as good of a warranty. The price is sometimes better than the factory crate engines.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The biggest problem with GM crate engines is that they still do not measure the clearance between cylinder bore and piston diameter. GM years ago went to what they claimed were better machining standards and thus measuring this relationship is not needed. This has resulted in engines that as they wear, they start getting piston knock. Some severe examples have even snapped off the skirt extensions on one or more pistons. GM used to warranty piston knock, but as the claims soared, they backed off, because they were losing money. So their solution was to now claim it isn't a problem and send you on your way.

This problem has grown so large that it has its own website, describing the issue, and listing service bulletins, etc. Click the link.

Based upon this, I would not ever buy a new GM, nor a GM crate engine. I'd rather get one from an engine rebuilder who fits pistons the old fashioned - and proper - way.

8. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I had a

I had a Goodwrench 350 put in the 89 brown 3/4 ton I had @72,000 in 2002. The engine had over 320,000 hard miles when we sold it and it still runs well as we speak. My luck was excellent, but times and results vary....merlyn

g.M. crate

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Unless you hear all sorts of noises while the engine is running, the oil pressure may be just fine. I had this happen a while back and it turned out to be the oil pressure sending unit.

Symtoms:

1)Lost pressure all at once and gage didn't fluctuate with rpms.

2)Engine ran just fine with no noises.

3)Changed oil and filter still same readings

I hooked up mechanical gage in same port as the sending unit and had all sorts of oil pressure. Replaced the sending unit an all is good. The engine still runs fine and has nearly 275K on the clock.

If you have to replace the engine, GM makes a dandy of a 383cid replacement engine for the '96 and newer 5.7 litre engines. It provides a bit more HP and Torque than the stocker without sacraficing any economy.

ss

10. moowho

moowho Member

Go with the GM crate you get a 100,000 mile warrenty

11. Raymobolt

Raymobolt TS Member

Warranty is about the same, 100,000 with GM crate and 90,000 mile with jasper last I checked, (about a year ago). I know that Jasper's customer service is 100% better than GM AND they will cover any repair costs/trouble shooting with the engine if anything should go wrong, jasper all hey way, granted with a GM you are gettin a new engine built from scratch in Mexico and jasper you are getting a TOTALLY rebuild( new pistons,rings, and the works, totally from the reconditioned block up) I feel the jasper is a much better product when including customer service, reimbursement for labor/repairs, and pricing.
    Just my humble opinion.

12. Roopy

Roopy Member

I agree with short shucker. I am a mechanic and own 4 chevys from 89 to 99. If it is not clanging and not losing power I would lean toward the sender. My 95 and 99 had that problem. When it really has near zero pressure makes a good bit of noise and no power. If you are blown up. I have installed many Jaspers with great luck and the best tech support. Everyone else has said it made in the USA. When you call the 800 number you get a person that speaks good ole english. jmo

Roopy

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Jasper engines is located in Jasper, Indiana, a small town off I64.

14. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Jasper is a great outfit. I have been to the factory many times. You can buy a stage 2 or 3 engine in any specs that you want. I believe they will dyno it also but not sure about that. The high performance shop is high tech and has all the right equipment and the techs are firts class. Go and take a tour and see for yourself. I have one in my street rod and it works great. motordoc

15. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear R.S.
    Have your oil pressure tested with a mechanical gauge and tell us what the the oil pressure is @ idle & 3500 RPM BEFORE YOU PULL THE ENGINE OUT!! These trucks with the digital dashs are notorious for all the gauges/instruments & speedos readily low or inoperative. Google 97 chev gauge problems and you can read many complaints. IF you have to replace the engine, go with a quality rebuild. NOTE you must replace the radiator/engine oil cooler because of the dirt & bearing material left behind from the last engine. This is the first excuse your rebuilder/OEM will use to VOID your warranty! ...As far as Jasper...their OK and GM Toluca, Mexico product quality is legendary....not. Read Speed Talk about their blantant change in casting core modifications....AND NOT MEETING GM DESIGN. The quality of aftermarket stuff from other countries is terrible. Can you stand a 35% reject rate!! Cast cylinder heads from India....machined in USA. I haven't touched a Mexican engine core yet except to confirm it is dead. The original 1997 GM Vortec engine in your truck is one of the best ever made. The Vortec intake gaskets have a bad rep and can lead to premature bearing and engine failures. Let us know your TRUE oil pressure before you commit to a rebuild. Ex-Jet Boat Bill

16. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Lots of good advice on here guys. Being a retired drag racer after 35 years I can tell you that a Jasper would be my choice if I didn't build my own. I didn't even know that new GM crate engines are built in Mexico, does that go for all GM crates, even the ZZ4? and the 383's?

The piston slap that started the web site is concerning the later Ls-style engines that didn't even come in your truck.

Lastly, Short Shuck said it well. You might not have an engine issue at all. If the gauge shows zero oil pressure and the lifters aren't clattering then you probably have a bad gauge or connection or sending unit. The lifters in that engine are hydraulic, meaning that they must have oil pressure to work at all and they are the first telltale sign of low oil pressure. The lifters require about 15-lbs of oil pressure to stay pumped up so if you don't have lifter noise, you should check the pressure with a manual gauge. Don't go off and spend thousands until you're sure of what you have.

If I can help you at all please send me a pm.

Mark

17. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I have engine noise..... unfortunately. OP this morning is 40 lb, stone cold. Normally it is 60 lb or so.... It is about 5 lb hot now. Was 20 hot.

I think what killed this engine was an intake gasket leak. When I bought the truck I soon thereafter discovered the leak and promptly took care of it. But, I don't know how long it was driven with the leak before I got the truck. It must have leaned out the engine and pounded the bearings.

I guess I will go with Jasper. It is a tough decision for me because the GM engine is totally new whereas the Jasper engine is remanufactured. The GM engine is not USA made however.

Thanks to all for the advice. I appreciate it.

Mike

18. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Years ago a mechanic friend of mine told me that the Goodwrench engines were new but came off the line with problems.

They were sent to Mexico to be "fixed" and then shipped back and sold for rebuilds.

Don't know whether this is true but knowing GM it wouldn't surprise me.

Regards....Gerald

19. red hammer

red hammer Member

I would call the ford dealer get a aera motor from them I've sold a truck full of them never had one problem they come with 3 year 100.000 mile warranty nation wide ,,,, any problem take it to any ford dealer and they take care of it . From someone that does this for a living everyday

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
gm crate engines
gm crate vs remamufactored
gm reman or jasper

jasper engine or gm engine

jasper engine vs crate engine
jasper sbc 350 pricing
right oil leak on 383 crate engine 71
who makes a better remanufactured enging jasper or gm