1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Glock Test

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GunDr, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Here is a truly independent test of the Glock.

Doug

2. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Bought my first Glock, a 30, the other day. Never really liked the way they feel. Shot a 1911 most of my life. That being said, I get to see alot of pistols during classes and the Glock seems to give the least trouble.

Amazing accuracy!! I took this used pistol and across sand bags it was easy to hit a man sized target at 100 yards all the time. A good friend tells me that he can change the angle of the dangle on the handle and make it feel like a 1911 so maybe I'll change it but then maybe I'll learn to shoot i the way it is.

Great gun, hold aim and squeeze!!!

Jack Burch

3. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I have never ever under any circumstance had my Glock 23 to fail to fire, eject, and load another shell in the chamber. Very impressive. I used it as a conceal carry gun with JHP ammo until I moved to Illinois...yes I know...Illinois...aka land of no gun rights....sorry to all the people back home in western ky...but money talks and to make the money I had to make the move.

Forrest

4. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

This "test" has been the topic of many threads on other forums that are for Glock and other pistol shooting sights. There are several opinions about this that I really don't want to go into. However, I shoot competitive pistol matches (IDPA, USPSA, 3 Gun, Bowling Pin's, Steel) and own Glock's. I actually shot an IDPA "bug" gun match today with my Glock 26 and finished 1st on my squad and probably in the top 5 out of 30+ shooters. So with that said a Glock is a good gun. I myself typically shoot an HK but that is a brand preference and feel of the gun. I used to shoot Glocks for the above competitions.

These torture test are a bit dumb to be blunt. A weapon can go through abuse like this yet when perfectly clean fail in real world use. Glock tends to be in the top 3 brands and designs you see in IDPA for example however I have seen many many of them have failures during competition. Some is ammo related, others are broken parts, while others are just because they are dirty. I watched a Sig 220 break on a guy today, he could not get his mag to seat in the gun to then have the mag release break and fall out of the gun. So no matter how much you spend on a weapon anything can break. Some are just less prone to failures then others. My reasoning for saying this is I have seen Glock's break and stop working even when they have been taken care of. The FBI, LA PD, NY PD and many other departments have had huge issues with Glock's to the point the LA PD even took the Glock 21 off the approved list. Ounce you get enough of one weapon in the hands of enough users all weaknesses come to light. So even as good as a Glock is, its not perfect even when someone does not "torture" their weapon. It makes for interesting pictures but ask the cop or shooter who has a Glock and takes care of it and it fails when he needs it most what he thinks. I personally have never had a Glock fail but then again I saw 2 of them today stop working as it got colder. Last month I was shooting with a IL State Trooper who was shooting a S&W M&P and said he loved it and has been 100% happy and wishes the state would let them carry it or something other then the state issued Glock 22. He said he has seen first hand several Glock 22's blow up in officers hands shooting factory new ammo. The Glock 22 has been one of the most popular guns Glock has built for cops and the gun with the most issues. Many say Glock should have stopped with the 17 and called it good. Any caliber Glock other then the 9mm have had some big issues. The 17 (9mm fullsize) to my knowledge has not really experienced anything major. It says something when a state trooper of 15 years does not like or trust his side arm. Yet other cops I shoot with swear by them. One guy is a Swat team leader and will not shoot a Glock or any "plastic" gun and shoots a custom built Springfield 1911. So everyone has a preference.

Bottom line, for the price Glock is a good gun, average quality with above average performance.

Dave

5. Loyac

Loyac Member

Any opinions on the new Steyr M9s and M40s? John

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Nothing better than a good S&W revolver. HMB

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

2 model 29's and a pocket full of speed loaders.

HM

8. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I'm curious about the Glock 22 and what K80Dude said. I have one (an early model police trade in) and it seems to be a fine pistol.

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Duckman: The issue is Glocks in non-9X19. The Glock 17 was designed for the 9X19 cartridge. When it was built in larger calibers, purportedly the barrel feed ramp had to be opened up to assure perfect feeding. If done, this would have caused more of the case head to be unsupported which, especially when combined with weakened reloaded brass and lead bullets, caused some unexplained kaBooms. Also, Glocks are said to fire out of battery, sometimes well out. The 9X19 Glock barrel supports the case head quite well. Reports can be found on the Glock Forum (www.GlockTalk.com) of factory ammo going boom. You can read all about it at the above link. Phil E

10. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

How many dam rounds does the Atlanta PD think it will take to hit a FELON, after you fire the first 15 rounds’ and reload, you should stop and call your Fraternal Order of Police association lawyer, because after that many misses your going to court for the strays hitting civilians or for police abuse…Grubby

11. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Damn, now I wish I hadn't bought it. :-(

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Duckman, I have a 22 and a 23, they're ok. I've fired many thousands of lead SWC reloads with no problems at all. Just stay away from the hot loads, I think that is where people get into trouble.

13. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Just ent to Glock Talk and saw a thread on this very subject. It was mostly internet hype (imagine that). My gun is a police trade in in mint condition. There are no finger grooves on the handle so I guess it's a 1st gen?

This will be a carry gun and shot a few times a month at the range with factory JHP/FMJ bullets. Thanks!

14. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Duckman, it is a first gen. with those about the only thing to worry about is shooting ammo that is to hot. DO NOT EVER SHOOT LEAD BULLETS IN A GLOCK! Other then that and you will be fine. The real problems that the 40cal glocks have had are in the Gen 3 models. They have had some frame issues and failures when a light is mounted on the front rails. I have owned probably a good 12 glock 22's over the last 10 years, I used to prefer that caliber and model and had 7 Glock 22's all at the same time. I personally now only own a Glock 26 for carry. The G27 is a good choice as well. I have gone to the HK line for all my other pistols and could not be happier! I did not mean to worry you about your Glock, they are good guns and would not worry about using one to protect my life. My point was someone who thinks a gun is perfect and always works because they abused it doesn't really mean crap. I personally have shot 10's of thousands of rounds through a Glock and NEVER had a single problem. But I have seen many peoples Glocks have problems, in fact I would say each IDPA match I shoot I see atleast one Glock have an issue. Out of 60 shooters I would guess 20 or so of them are shooting Glocks. Some of them reload ammo and that creates problems however most are shooting factory ammo and still have had some issues. NO Brand of gun is with out its problems, like I said above some are just more prone to issues then others. My preference is HK, Springfield XD (45acp only), Glock and then Sig. I would take any of those guns anytime into a gun fight and not worry for a second.

Dave

PS In my earlier post I said how well I did with my Glock 26, found out this weekend I won the whole match shooting it! Always nice to know the gun you keep as your carry/gun car (IL does not have CCW :( ) shoots well and can perform when it counts.

15. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Kudos on your win and thanks for clearing that up for me.

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Dave, what's the problem with hard cast bullets? The only issue I recall is the possibility of a lead bullet not gripping the lands. I have never shot HOT loads and never had a problem.

17. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

If you shoot a bullet other then a FMJ/Jacketed HP etc then your in for some real problems. Glocks like many have polygon barrels. You can go to glocktalk.com hkpro.com or google search the subject and you will find tons of info about it. Polygon barrels are similar to canon barrels, they do not have sharp edges like traditional rifling. When the lead bullet is fired through a polygon rifled barrel it will have small amounts of the lead stripped away from it around the chamber area which with enough shooting can cause enough of a build up to create an issue. It can and does cause the barrel to blow up as if you had something in your barrel, in this case its the extra lead from the bullets. The reason to use polygon rifling is to increase bullet velocity (personally it is very minor and not much of an issue), longer barrel life, increased accuracy, easier to clean and probably some other minor things. The only thing you cant do is shoot lead non jacketed bullets through them. Unless your reloading its pretty hard to find non jacketed bullets unless its cowboy calibers. For 99% of people it would never be an issue, even with reloading jacketed bullets arent that much more money so most people would not spend the 200 bucks to change out the barrel to an aftermarket. Hope this helps.

On the "hot" bullets, I do not own a gun I can not shoot +P or +P+ through, not that I do very often but they are all built to handle it. This is of course in 9mm and larger bullets, not talking about .22's.

Dave

18. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Dave, in essence, what you are saying is if the barrel is kept clean cast bullets are a non-issue. You've summitted no other reason. I've always liked the polygon barrels because they are so easy to clean. As far a lead accumulation goes, I've never had a lead accumulation problem in Glock barrels, I keep them clean. I have traditional rifled barrels that lead up much more than Glock barrels and no one ever says don't shoot lead in those.

As far as cost goes, I'm not up on current prices but, hard cast bullets used to cost less than half what jacketed bullets cost. It adds up when one shoots them by the thousands.

The only area of concern I have with Glock barrels is the unsupported area of the case head. That's why I won't shoot any hot loads or use worn out brass. They certainly aren't target guns but they are a lot of fun to blast cans with.
    I've always thought they are a very fine combat gun, no buttons or levers to fool with. Just pick it up and go.