1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Glock question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MTA Tom, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Gen 4 guns have a "Rough Textured Frame", interchangeable backstraps, enlarged reversible magazine catch, and a dual recoil spring assembly.

2. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

MTA said it. Either way quality and dependable weapons.

3. CMPeterson

CMPeterson Member

If you plan on buying a Glock, I would either buy used or plan on waiting a long time. I was just informed that they have over a million guns on order and only produce approx. 70K per month, good for them bad for us who would like to own a new one anytime soon! Cory

4. 548

548 Guest

I suppose if you can't afford a Sig, a Glock would do.

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Gen 3 magazines will fit Gen 4's, but Gen 4 mags will not fit Gen 3 firearms

6. art g

art g Member

Gen. 4 Mags DO fit Gen. 3 guns and vice versa. If you decide to move the mag release to the right side of a Gen 4 Glock then you will need to exclusively use Gen. 4 mags as they have mag release cuts on both the left and right side of the mag tube. Art G.

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

In addition to the above distinctions, the Gen 4 trigger housing is different than a Gen 3 Glock. The bottom of the trigger housing has been narrowed to fit into the Gen 4 grip, which was made smaller so that the adjustable back straps could be used. The ejector may also be different than Gen 3.

There were some issues with some, not all, Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks ejection process. The culprit, in some cases turned out to be the extractor and in others, the ejector. I've not experienced any issues, but some who have have returned their pistols to Glock for a new extractor / ejector.

If you find one that is new, take it to the range and put 3-500 rounds through it. You'll quickly know if there are any issues.

The nice thing about Glocks is they are easy to clean and service.

Gene in Illinois

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

thanks for the clarification artg,,,,,,,should have put the clarification regarding which side the mag release was on......

9. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Glocks have never been produced with a "magazine disconnect"! Gene, if you are considering ever getting rid of the G-17 please advise. Rick Gibbs

Best combat pistol made in that type! Has a majority of the US and other countries, police and military users. Rick Gibbs

Can't go wrong with any glock! Rick Gibbs

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I have a Glock 23 that is the first production run where the frame cracked and Glock
    to replace them with a frame with a
    different serial number.

11. SBray

SBray Active Member

I recently got a model 35 in 40 S&W. It, as well as the 34, have the full length barrel for a longer sight picture. Both models are the same except for the caliber. The 34 is probably more popular in the 9mm.

I just went with Stormlake Barrels and got the conversion to 9mm from the 40 S&W. Now I can shoot either caliber by just changing the barrels. Nothing else is needed to alter.

You can do the same with the Model 23, and change out the 9mm conversion barrel made for that model.

Both the 34 and 35 are listed as their Competition guns.

The above link with display all their handguns. Just click on the model your are interested in, and get all the specifics of the gun.

Hope this helps,

Steve

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The Gen 4 has a dual recoil spring. Some say this reduces the felt recoil.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

Here is my Glock 34 Gen4 (9mm).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Birddogfella

Birddogfella Member

Doggone nice guns! I have a couple .45 ACPs and they are the most "shootable" semiautos I have in large caliber. Luv 'em! (one is Gen 3 and the other Gen 4, I learned recently. LOL
    ///olde pharte///

14. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Now to PO all the Glock guys. While my off-duty gun is a Glock 27 I would look into the offering from Springfield Armory (the XDs) and the Smith M&P. i also own a M&P and really prefer it to the Glock. Its US made and has a lifetime warranty though it doesn't need one. It points better, has better sights from the factory and the trigger is better. The Springfields are no slouches either if you don't mind a Croation but why would you when your shipping your Glock cash to Austria.

15. chrisg

chrisg Member

I too own multiple glocks, xd's and xdm's, walthers, h&ks and m&ps.
    I too prefer the m&p's over all of them.

16. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Buy the S&W M&P 9, 40 or 45. Or the new M&P Shield series.

American made
    100% lifetime warranty.

Glocks are in all the police forces because they underbid everyone NOT because they are the best.

M&P is preferred in America more and more every day/year with Police and government and ultimately citizens.

I stole this from another site in regards to the M&P vs Glock:

First and foremost, the M&P was designed around the .40 and has no problems in the transition to other calibers. The Glock on the other hand was designed around the 9mm round, and has had a storied history of problems with .40 and .45.

Second, the M&P has a stainless steel chassis embedded in the polymer frame to impart rigidity and have hard mount points for pins.

Third, the M&P has a lower bore axis ratio.

Fourth, the M&P has a loaded chamber view port. Not a big deal but there nonetheless.

Fifth, the m&P is available with a 1911 style thumb safety.

Sixth, the M&P is far superior ergonomically, not even close.

Seventh, the M&P comes with far better sights out of the box.

Eighth, it is made in America by Americans for Americans.

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I really like the looks of the M&P, Glocks etc. I just wish I could conquer the reluctance to have a pistol without a manual safety..until then I have my Hi-Power..a little large for carry but it beats a broomstick

18. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Striker fired pistols are safer for the operator than 1911 condition 1 or 2 or a revolver with the cylinder filled.

Plus... the M&P can be bought with a manual safety if you want. Something listed in my above post. Another reason to choose M&P over Glock if you GOT TO HAVE a manual safety.

but... there is NO way for the gun to fire without a full pull through of teh trigger in either the M&P or Glock. Its a mental thing with you but its a very safe weapon system plus there is NO thinking when you need it the most. Point and Pull the trigger. If it has a manual safety and you forget, you may be toast.

JMHO

19. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I started to write a response to some of the comments above, but I think that is getting a bit off topic. On the subject of Glocks, I personally like the Gen 3 grip a little better than the Gen 4. That is with a small sample of the one G4 that I handled at the range. I was in the market for a G19 or a G23 for my wife as a christmas present and then the world lost its mind and every Glock on the planet is spoken for!

Just like trap guns, there are those who swear by Glocks, Sigs, HK, 1911, etc. Personally I think the best thing is to buy all of them:)

20. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Use the web, YOutube, buy a book and then handle/shoot both versions at a gun range with rentals. OR: shoot your buddies guns. It's easy to describe the cosmetic and functional design differences between the Glock Generations. It comes down to what YOU want. In the end you might be disappointed in your choice if you make a purchase decision based on expert advice in a shotgun forum. Expand your research aperture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.