1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GLOCK or ????????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Loyac, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyac

Loyac Member

I've owned a Glock 23 for the past 17 years and not one single mishap. Now I'm thinking of buying a .45... Any reasons to consider a more conventional handgun like a 220, USP or 1911 style? John.

2. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I think it depends what feels good in your hand. Glock bores are very close to the top of the hand which makes the gun easy to point. Sigs are nice because you can get rid of the plastic grips and throw on some Hogue rubber panels or even wood if you prefer.

The new HS P2000 allows the backstrap to be changed out for a larger swell to accomadate bigger hands. If you went with the Sig, HK, etc. would you want to stay double action only? Or would you want a double/ single pull? Or are you itching for a single action only gun like most of the 1911 models out there?

Do you like the single colum magazine vs. the staggard in the glocks, etc? Para-ordinance makes 1911 style guns with staggard mags to up the capacity which also fattens the grip.

As far as reliability, any quality gun like Glock, Sig, HK, Taurus, Smith, etc. is going to be fine. 1911 models depending on price range can at times be a little challenging when it comes to digesting certain bullets. But that can easily be fixed by a competent gun smith.

3. bgf

bgf Active Member

I have a HK .45 USP Compact I would be willing to part with. Total of 3 mags. Great gun.

Bernie

4. james25889

james25889 Member

i prefer my 1911 to my glock 30 i like the thinness of the handgrip

5. tdaws1032

tdaws1032 TS Member

You may want to consider the Smith & Wesson M&P. This model comes in 9mm, .40, and .45. It also comes with three different sized grips that can be changed in a matter of minutes. I recently bought one and think it is one of the better shooting pistols I have shot. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

When your life depends on it, Make mine a Glock ... I have a beautiful S&W Model 459 that has has less than a box of shells shot in it but its just not a Glock ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The Smith & Wesson M&P is the top of the heap when it comes polymer
    framed guns. It has a lower center bore line than a Glock and has
    the sames grip to bore angle as a 1911. With three different grip
    back straps you cane fit any hand size. The lifetime warranty ( which
    includes the next day air charges) is a bonus.

8. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

The Glock 30 is my favorite handgun and my EDC. The newer G30SF will fit smaller hand better than the old style G30

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

There is a lot to be said for familiariry with a handgun. You have had a glock for years. You must like the design or I doubt you would have stuck with one for so long. I personally like the feel of a standard 1911 in my hand.
    I have`a glock 17 9mm and while not cumbersome, it just does not have that "feel" like a 1911 does. My opinion but if a 1911 did not have something going for it. I would not have been the standard issue sidearm of the US military for almost 80 years.

JK

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Why a gun stays in service for a long time may not have much to do with its design or reliability. The original M1-Garand was designed to shoot a 270 cartridge & hold 10 rds, the military told Garand to make it use the 30-06, because there were millions of rds left over from WWI, the 1911 may have been just the same beneficiary, of vast ammo inventory, how many rds of 45 ACP do you think were in our inventory after WWI & WWII. The 45 ACP is a proven man stopper, but in the era of body armor, maybe the game has changed.

Lou

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Fact is, the 40 wil do whatever the 45 will. It is a magnum. It is loaded to the same pressure as the 357 Sig, 357, 41 and 44 Mag, 35,700 PSI.

If you like your G-23, Glocks' G-37 is about the same size and is in the 45 GAP cartridge. It duplicates or exceeds 45 Auto performance while utilizing the Glock small bore platform.

The big bore Glocks are big handguns. The other styles will necessitate learning different operating procedures. Stoppage reduction drills for the 1911 are not as quick as for the Glock, and you may be more likely to need them. I can clear and get a shot off with an induced double feed in my G-17 in under three seconds. Try that with most other sidearms, especially the 1911.

If you are using your G-23 for concealed carry, you already have the Gold Standard.

12. Loyac

Loyac Member

I thank you all for your responses! John

13. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

John:
    I like the Glock for 9mm. I prefer a H&K in 45 or a 1911 model. Why? Personal preference - If I am shooting 45 ACP, a heavier gun seems to work better for me.

As it happens, I'm selling 2 45s.

1. A Springfield XD in 45 ACP

2. A Sig GSR Stainless 1911

If you want more info, email me at gbatch3XX@gmailX.com (delete the Xs).
    I have pics and detailos.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

14. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

I believe Glock does have a single stack, ithink it is 45.
    I too am a long time fan of the 1911. I just purchased a Springfield XD40 compact for concealed carry. Has some very nice features and the trigger is realy nice for a double action gun. The M series has the interchangable grips also. Not available in the compact model yet however.

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

No tupperware pistols for this old 1911 guy.

16. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

1911 all the way! They say a Glock works every time, so does a brick, feels the same to me. To my knowledge, no special ops teams use Glock. Just my opinion which is worth .02.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Nothing better than a smooth shooting S&W revolver in my opinion. HMB

18. IndyJohnO

IndyJohnO TS Member

GLOCK forever. Nothing else surpasses one.

JohnO

19. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

If you want a 45acp there is not a better defensive 45acp on the market then the HK45. This is not the USP but the new model HK45. If you want something a little cheaper go with the Springfield XD 45acp, a great gun for the money and fits shooters hands much better then a Glock.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.