1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Glock 23 gen 4

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FIB, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I'm looking at buying a Glock 23 4th generation and was wondering if the double recoil spring really makes a difference in the felt recoil. The salesman said it did but he was the salesman. Anyone have a 4th gen. M23 that can tell me either way? TIA, FIB

2. Jhise67

Jhise67 Member

I have one and it does make a difference with recoil. Nice choice!!!

3. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

does nothing for recoil

4. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I have the Gen 4 in a Model 19 (same size, just 9mm) I used to have a G-23 but the wife did not handle the recoil well at all. I am not trying to start an internet argument but how many people can handle the 40cal really well. What I mean is...can you shoot it one handed....can you shoot it ok with the weak hand only without the gun leaving your hand or really breaking loose the grip. And something nobody seems to think about, is can you handle it with the weak hand while wounded.

Also, you can read all the paperwork on all calibers but after direct involvement of the after effects of police action shootings on three or four seperate occasions, I choose the 9mm for me and the wife. Now just this summer our local PD finished off a suspect with three torso shots of 40's but all the others that I can think of being involved with only suffered moderate injuries at best.

As for the original question...I do like the Gen 4 a little better. Unsure about the recoil spring as I have not shot them side by side yet, but I do like the grip much better as it is shorter from front to back.

5. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks for the comments, wow they were all over the place. As far as caliber I thought the .40 was well respected??????

6. Lawman214

Lawman214 TS Member

I have carried a Glock 22 a a duty weapon for over twenty years now, and am also a certified Glock armorer. The 23 is a slightly smaller version. We traded out our Gen3 guns for Gen4 about a year ago. The initial runs of Gen4 22's were problematic. They went through two, and in some cases three, iterations of the recoil spring assembly. The new dual coil RSA was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. I have not noticed any perceived difference in recoil between a Gen3 and a Gen4. The new RSA is supposed to have an extended lifespan...big deal. We used to replace the Gen3 springs at 3000 round intervals, at a cost of about 10 bucks. Another issue with the 40 cals was the ejector. Our initial batch of Gen4 guns had improperly designed ejectors that would throw the spent brass straight back into the shooters face. Glock very promptly replaced the ejectors (they already had the new design on hand), and even sent out a district manager to oversee the correction.

Don't get me wrong. We're now a year down the road, and our guns run like greased lightning. There is a reason Glock has a strong law enforcement presence...they make a fine pistol. Just make sure you get one of recent manufacture, and it should have all the kinks taken care of at the factory. The new RSA isn't going to reduce the felt recoil much, if at all. Plus, a 23 is going to have a little more muzzle flip than a 22, due to its having a little shorter barrel, and a slightly shorter grip frame. This all assumes, of course, that you are talking about a gun in its factory configuration. If you start modifying the gun with aftermarket parts and accessories, all that goes out the window!

7. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Check the Glock forums in law enforcement websites....the 22 had the issues mentioned above and the early 19s Gen 4 had stovepipe/ejection issues that were ultimately corrected....also there were reported issues with 17/22s when lights/lasers were attached....these were all early gun hiccups...I have yet to hear of any issues with the newer guns....Glock service is excellent!

My new 23 hums along without a hiccup......

8. Slugo

Slugo Member

I own both a Gen 3 G19 and a Gen 4 G17. There is absolutely no difference in recoil, none...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.