1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Glock 19 for CC ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by starship, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

I'm not expecially a pistol person. I do have a concealed carry permit.
    Spend time in our MH and often in remote or isolated areas.

Thinking of getting a Glock19 for protection during these times.
    Will most likely spend most of it's time locked up but was wondering any particular pros and cons regarding this particular pistol.

Thanks
    Chuck

2. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

Glock is a good gun. Carried a 23(same size as 19 .40 cal)for 5 yrs. Still a little heavy for my taste. 17 bullets is a lot. I prefer a Smith J frame revolver 442/642/342 etc.... Only 5 shots, but only 11-15 oz. Fits nicely in pants pocket. Glock won't do any good if its in the car. Try smith-wessonforum.com. They are a little nutty over there.

3. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

I dont like a Glock for cc because it does not have a magazine drop safety.The one in the chamber will fire without a magazine in the gun.S & W 5906 is my choice and you can pick up a police turn in cheap and not worry about scuffin it up,it will alredy have holster wear......my 2cents Don

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like the Glocks and sometimes carry a M17. Good dependable pieces but they aren't exactly small or light and they don't have any BS safeties so if you decide to carry a Glock you need to be serious in the attempt and that would include getting professional instruction on handling and concealing the gun.

5. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Glocks can't fire if dropped. They use a striker system and it is never cocked till you pull the trigger. So, if you drop it, and try to grab it out of the air, like any other pistol or revolver, if you grab and pull the trigger, it will go bang. But ONLY if you pull the trigger.

Bob

6. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Get a kel-tec .380==you'll get a lot of grief on here about how its cheap and underpowered but you can carry and conceal it because of its size and weight--the best cc pistol you can have is the one you have with you--the glock is to big and heavy and I don't know anybody on here who would like to be shot by an UNDERPOWERED .380

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Glock 19 is a 9mm. Glock 23 is a 40 S&W in the same size. Doesn't come any lighter for concealed carry. Carried concealed for 20 years. IF you need it, I prefer the stopping power of the 40ca. Glock is one of the most reliable handguns -- safety on the trigger == essentially a revolver with a lot of bullets. When you need it, you don't have to sweep the safety off -- just pull the trigger. Train with the gun and get instruction. Everybody will have their opinion on the "best" gun. The best gun is the one in your hand when you need it. Remember it is a HUGE RESPONSIBILITY TO CARRY. Fred

8. Ralph1100

Ralph1100 Member

Every single AD where someone shoots themselves in the leg, groin, foot, etc. involves a Glock. Plaxico has/had a Glock 40. If you shove the gun into the holster and the trigger catches on fabric, you go to the hospital.

I carry a Springfield XDSC. It has a grip safety.

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Ralph,,,,BS and BS,,,,Check out the link,,,,just in case you don't know,,,,the military currently uses Beretta as its sidearm,,,,if you shove your XD and press on your grip safety and "shove the gun in the holster and the trigger catches on fabric, YOU go to the hospital",,,,if you are getting fabric in your holster, GET A DIFFERENT HOLSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, I carry a 1911, condition 1, which is cocked and locked,,,,or a G19!!!

in case you didn't know,,,,

If you don't want the bang,,,,keep your booger hook OFF the trigger.

BTW 2,,,,An AD is caused from the firearm discharging due to a problem with IT,,,,A ND (negligent discharge) is caused by the idiot on the other end!

10. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

For starters, a Glock 19 or 23 does not have 17 rounds. A model 34 mounted with light on the headboard, a 19 in truck and a 26 for carry when I am not packing my S-W 642. I stick with all 9mm and the extra mags are from a Glock 17/34, so if needed they fit all mentioned above and stick out a little. Shot placement is EVERYTHING, with that said a 9mm with today's premium ammo is fine. I have personally seen two humans and multiple dogs shot with 40's with shitty results overall.

11. 685

685 TS Member

I carry a Glock 30 (.45) or a S&W 638 with plus Ps.
    The Glock is carried in a Fist pancake made for it and the 638 is carried in my pocket with a pocket holster. Both fire when I pull the trigger and not until.

Joe

12. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

No cons. Perfect choice. The Glock 19 is an excellent and extremely popular defense gun. It's what I usually carry. If you do buy one, you will want to shoot it a lot, over time, to become very familiar with it, so handling it is second-nature to you. Phil E

13. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

Get a gun that you will carry all the time. When trouble strikes, you do not want to say "wait a minute; I have to go to my car and get a gun". That said, I favor a light weight 5 shot 38 revolver by either S&W or Taurus without a hammer spur. My next choice is a Kahr PM9 9mm, about the same size and weight as a light weight S&W with a couple more rounds. It lays flatter in my pocket than my S&W 642. I also like the Kel Tec P3AT or Ruger LCP .380 in a pocket holster with either Speer Gold Dot or Hornady HP's. Neither one is the most accurate for small targets, but both have "minute of man" accuracy from 10 yds.
    It wouldn't hurt to have a second weapon in the car, and the Glock 19 would be fine for that.

If I were expecting trouble, I would be carrying either a rifle or shotgun.

....Paul

14. docjonsn

docjonsn TS Member

do you like how the glock fits in your hand ?
    is it comfortable? for me the 1911 is my carry weapon.
    not because I dont like glocks because it fits.
    find a gun that fits your hand and you are comfortable with, train with it
    often. so god forbid you ever need it you will know what to do, with out thinking about what to do.
    thats just my 2 cents
    pete

15. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

You either like Glock or hate them... no in between. A Glock unloaded weighs about 20 oz. A 1911 type 45 weighs 32 oz. When you carry a gun around all day, weight means a lot, but the gun must fit your hand and you must have confidence in the gun and your skills. Go to to a range and try several hand guns and select the gun that YOU like best. Fred

16. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

XDSC9,16+1, Gold Dots in a Cross Breed SuperTuck or a High Noon Bare Asset holster is how I roll. I also change it up with a XDm9, 19+1, Gold Dots.

It's all personal preference.

See the above link....

Jerbear

17. Alex Ragulsky

Alex Ragulsky TS Member

Chuck:

I've been a police officer for over 33 years. I've carried revolvers and autos, both big and small. My agency doesn't allow 1911's or I'd probably carry a Colt Commander but since that's only a dream I carry a Glock 19 off-duty and as a back-up.

Given my choice I would shoot Cor-Bon 115 grain JHP ammo. The results that I have indicate a 91% "one-shot stop" rate. Not being able to find those I would go with a Federal 115 gr JHP (90%) or Federal 124 grain Hydra-Shok (86%). Both are +P+ rated but in a Glock that won't be aproblem unless you shoot a couple thousand rounds a month.

I teach police and civilian firearms and one thing that I noticed in both cops and civilians properly licensed is that they frequently don't carry when they have to lace their holster loops on their belts. I'm guilty of that as well. I would suggest to you or any other carrier that you consider a good paddle holster. Fobus and Uncle Mike's make some good Kydex holsters that run less than $20.00 and to my knowledge none of my shooters have ever had a problem with them. There are some good holsters made of leather that are a little more expensive but do the job fine. I have a few manufacturer's samples and to me it comes down to personal preference.

Bigdogtx--thanks for throwing the "BS" flag with respect to Ralph1100's comments about "every single AD when someone shoots themself involves a Glock." That statement doesn't hold true in the Denver Metro area with respect to both donut eaters like me or civilians.

Chuck, lots of the above posters offer some great options. KS5 mentioned the 5906 and while that is without a doubt an excellent gun I carried one for years and it is a lot heavier than a Glock 19. But the extra weight sure soaks up the recoil well. It was also rightfully mentioned that the gun in the car isn't much use when you're not in the car and suggestions on small five-shot revolvers. I can't fault that thinking. Even the suggestion of the little .380 makes sense. While considered the minimum it sure is a lot bigger (when you ned it) than the 9MM, .357 Magnum or .45 A.C.P. that's somewhere else.

All of my rambling aside you won't go wrong with a Glock 19, good ammunition and a paddle holster.

Respectfully,

Alex Ragulsky

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If your in a motor home and need somthing an 870 pistol grip stock and 18' barrel is perfect.

you stated your not a handgun shooter than stick with a shotgun. If your going to get a handgun make it a revolver much more reliable for the ineperienced. A S&W 60 with a 3" barrel and crimson trace laser sight is the best for your situation.

Joe goldberg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cc glock 19
glock 19 best cc pistol

glock 19 cc

glock 19 for cc

how to cc glock 19