1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Glock 17, What do you think about it????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

My son is asking me questions about a Glock 17. All I know about pistols are they go bang and they are not Perazzi's. What do you think of the gun, pros and cons.

Charlie

2. skeet100

skeet100 Member

GlockTalk is to Glock's as this site is to Trap. I been a member there for a long time.

I think the G-17 is the best pistol out there. I can strip one with my eyes close and put it back together.

I was not a fan early but I have been won over. I have shot them for 10+ years.

Mine has shot everything and done it perfect. I have one that will shoot a great group too.

Best luck

skeet100

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

G-17 is the original model that made the Glock name. Who started it all.

It's ugly, cheap, but super reliable and simple to use. Most problems were magazine related, the pistol it self is the answer to someone who wants a relatively inexpensive but very well made weapon in a modern world.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I prefer the 19, but the 17 is a serviceable pistol. It has a few great features and some I don't care for. Mine have the usual 4lb trigger and function flawlessly, even if I neglect them a bit. Cleaning the Glocks is easy. Strip them down and put them in the diahwasher on pot scrubber cycle. :) If you have a limp wrist, they don't always work reliably. I've had one since sometime around 1995/6 and it has seen a lot of use. The 17 is a bit big for concealed carry. The 19 is about the biggest I'd try to hide. For carry, I prefer a different (larger) caliber, but the 9mm has been known to take care of business. I also like the grip designs of the newer models of the 17. It seems like they have made several changes over the years. I'm not sure if they were all for the better, but the grips on the newer one feels better to me. I have a smaller hand, so a smaller grip is more comfortable for me. Somehow I get a little better grasp on the new ones. I have sometimes replaced the barrels in the Glocks with an aftermarket "match" barrel. Glocks are known to have some issues with unsupported case heads. Replacing the barrels with one that supports the case head closer to the rim is not a bad idea. It seems more critical on the .40, but they all seem to have it to some extent.

One add-on I like is an extended slide release. The stamped steel original is a bit flimsy and small.

I'd also recommend GlockTalk. Best way to find out more is to read up on the forums and then go out and try a few to compare to.

5. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Without a doubt, the pistol by which all other are measured, with the possible exception of the 1911.

There have been no case head separations in 9mm that I'm aware of. There have been some in .40 and .45. Case head is no less supported than 99% of the other .40 guns out there - even the so called match barrels. Most of the case head separations have been with reloaded ammo with brass with unknown history (when you buy that reloaded stuff at the gun show, you don't have any idea how used the brass is), so don't do it. The glock chamber is a little oversized. Aids in reliable feeding, but really works your brass.

Lead bullets is the Glock cardinal sin. The biggest no-no there is. The polygonal rifling leads up, case pressures rise with the resulting increase in resistance and you get a kaboom - esp. if you're shooting the fore-mentioned gun show reloaded lead ammo. If you must shoot lead, get the replacement barrel for about $100. It's a drop in so no biggie.

Other manufacturers can only dream of having the sales Glock has. That says volumes in itself. If you can find one, get one.

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I agree with Quack,,,,carry the 19 myself. Hard with my body style to conceal and only lose 2 rounds as compared to the 17.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Glock is not a gun that should be pocket carried. This is because of the trigger and firing mechanism design. The Glock safety is on the trigger itself, which is not a good design. Glocks should be carried in a properly design holster that covers the trigger fully on both sides. If you intend to pocket carry, you should consider another gun.<br>
    <br>
    Glock states not to shoot reloads or lead bullets in their guns. This is for a very good reason. These guns are notorious for blowing up when reloads or lead bullets are used. Many people state they have shot many reloads and many lead bullets without any problem. While that is true, it still does not make it a safe practice. Some shooting ranges have Glocks that have shot tens of thousands of rounds of reloads with lead bullets. Some people have had a Glock blow up with only a few hundred rounds of reloads or lead bullets. If you want to shoot reloads or lead bullets, you should consider a different gun.<br>
    <br>
    If you are curious about the problems Glocks have, click the link. I do not want to discourage anyone from buying or using Glocks. But I feel that buyers should make an informed decision, understand the potential risks inherent in the Glock design, and what they can do to minimize this risk.

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

I think the same about them as I would any other Tupperware brick.

9. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

Butt ugly, but they work! Every time. My first Glock is a 17, still shoot it. Functions flawlessly and very forgiving if you don't clean it often.

I also have a 26 (9mm, but smaller) and a 21SF (full frame .45 ACP) The G21SF is my favorite, I like the 45 ACP caliber and the gun shoots softly (recoil) and accurate.

If you want something that goes BANG every time, get a Glock.

Show your Kimber to your friends and your Glock to your enemies.

10. Bubba

Bubba Member

I like the Glocks. I am starting to like the S&W M&P pistols also. (And they are USA made).

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think the world of my M17 Glock. Extremely reliable, no worries about cosmetic damage, reasonably accurate. Good carry gun but you need to wear a coat and use a holster rig. This is the original 'grab and go' autoloader ... there are no external safeties to operate.

As Brian noted, plain lead bullets are a bad idea because the bore configuration leads badly which results in excessive pressures. Reloads with jacketed or copper plated bullets are fine...that is all mine gets.

All in all it is a very good pistol and reasonably priced.

12. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

Best handgun ever made. End of story.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have owned and carried a Glock 17 for years and plan on doing the same thing for many years to come, Good Lord willing ... I have never had a malfunction, misfire, jam or anything else happen that could cost a person their life under combat conditions ... I never shoot anything but new ammo, all of it is jacketed and cycle flawlessly ... The G17 is a little large to conceal but can be hidden reasonably well if you wear a jacket or get a under arm shoulder holster, gun on one side spare magazines on the other ... The Glock 17 is a lot of gun for the money and would be a very servicable weapon for many years to come with very little up keep ... When seconds count and the Cops are minutes away, make mine a Glock ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

The Glock 17 is probably the most reliable pistol in the world. That specific model has probably seen more LEO and Military use world wide then any other pistol. Great choice, cheap, easy to find mags, holsters and ammo is lower cost then other calibers.

15. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

There butt ugly!!

16. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

The following (and above) link will take you to a set of 'torture' tests that a Glock 21 pistol was put through. While not a GLock 17, it's a Glock and the test results may help you decide.

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I personally would not take the chance of loading reloads versus new ammo in a gun that my life or your life depended on at any cost differential ... There are a lot of nice handguns out there but this post asked specifically about a Glock 17 and peoples opinions of same ... I know of people who shoot reloads in Glocks but never load the magazine with reloads other than on a practice range or tactical course when it don't really matter because its only practice ...
    WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

it's not the pistol, it the type of rifling in the barrel....

Polygonal rifling is a type of rifling wherein the traditional lands and grooves are replaced by "hills and valleys" in a rounded polygonal pattern, usually a hexagon or octagon.

Grubby

19. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Get the 34 same caliber longer slide and a few more bells and whistles....Don

20. GRUMPN

GRUMPN TS Member

I think I like my Springfield Armory XDm 9 a bunch better. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.