1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Global Warming-doing my part!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by quicky, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicky

quicky Member

The eruption of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines did indeed lower summer temperatures across much of the northern hemiphere due to reflection of light from upper atmosphere particulates.

If we really want to do something about gw, instead of just talk about it, we need to get some particulates into the atmosphere. So, yesterday I went out to our local coal mine and bought a full pickup load of lump coal (3920 lbs., u-load for $40) and fired up my old coal heater. Great heat, I had forgotten how nice it was compared to nat. gas. Good steady heat, not cool then hot then cool as forced air nat. gas is.

All of us have to do something...I have begun! Quicky.

2. quicky

quicky Member

Admiral Art,

I have to put a large pan of water on the stove each day because our winter air is so dry. It will simmer away a gallon or so each day.

I also leave light bulbs burn in rooms that I am not using since they are, after all, a heat source. Incandescant, of course. This is an example of 'energy calculations' and 'savings' gone awry since in winter a heat source is, after all is said and done, a heat source.

Speaking of dry air, we have had atmosphere with a 'relative' humidity of 70% and a dew-point of -20f. That is a low dew-point! Not instrument air but still dry enough to really chap skin. See ya, Quicky

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I resolved to refrain from eating beans!

4. quicky

quicky Member

Hipshot 3, you are missing the point...you should be eating beans! Downwind of me, of course, but eat lots! Quicky

5. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

My Granpa heated his house with coal. He had three of those old upright Warm Morning stoves in the house. One in the basement, one in the kitchen and one in the front room. The one in the front room had an old cast iron teapot on it for humidity and the one in the kitchen had an old one gallon coffee pot on it. Coffee cooked all day, he drank it all day. By 2pm that was coal black, extra strong coffee, took a pint of half-half to lighten it up.

6. quicky

quicky Member

I think that is called 'cowboy coffee' because it would float a horseshoe. Occasionally we will put a pot of pinto beans and a hambone on our stove and let it simmer all day. Wonderful aroma and great beans as well.

A ranch house I used to stay in while trapping beaver for the rancher had an old Majestic wood stove in it that had large flat surfaces for pots and pans. It was really nice, with a bread warmer and all. Would have been a beast in the summer I suppose. Especially our new warmer summers! Quicky

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Just nuke Iran and the resulting dust cloud will cool off the earth enough to make global warming a moot point for at least a decade. By then, we'll have found some other podunk nation that will have pissed us off enough to nuke them too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.