1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Glen Rock- York Co. Champ. Shoot, Sun. Aug 5

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Southpaw Sam, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

The York County Championship Shoot for 2012 will begin Sunday, Aug. 5 at 9:30 AM with Glen Rock Shooting Club near Shrewsbury, PA, once again the host. As usual, a great home-cooked breakfast is ready by 8:30 with lunch to follow soon after. Check the program and note all the Open Classes to be won. This shoot is much more than just a York county Championship shoot. Let's make it another memorable shoot. See you Sunday. Lon
    southpawsam_2008_210899.jpg

southpawsam_2008_2108100.jpg

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I saw John & Mike at North Carroll, last Sunday and told them I would attend, but seeing the York County angle for awards, I'm thinking this is may not be a regestered shoot, and therefore, might not be interested after all.

best....mike

3. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Southpaw Sam,

Here is an announcement from 100 years ago. Thought you and other Glen Rock shooters might enjoy a little history. I sent some old articles to John Elmore last week.

Best regards,

Glen Rock’s Programme

The spring target shoot, of the Glen Rock Gun Club will be held at Glen Rock, Pa., Thursday and Friday. May 1 and 2. Open to all. The programme on the first day has a total of 200 shots at a cost of $12.50; most of the events being 15 targets, with $1.00 entrance. For the best average in the programme events $5.00 will be given. A like sum will be given to the lowest average and $2.00 to the second lowest. At 9 A. M. a match will be shot between Allen M. Seitz, holder, and D. G. Deardorff, challenger, for the live bird championship of York county, at 25 live birds per man. The programme will commence at 10 A. M. On the second day commencing at 9 A. M., a match will be shot for the flying target championship between Allen M. Seitz, Holder, and Harry Washers, challenger, at 100 targets each.

The programme commences at 10 A. M and has a total of 150 shots at a cost of $10.00. No. 6 is for a Winchester repeating shot gun; average money, $3.00, for the best average; $3.00 for lowest and $2.00 to second lowest. All purses divided 40, 30, 20 and 10 per cent. Ship guns and shells to A. M. Seitz, secretary, Glen Rock, Pa.
    [ SPORTING LIFE, April 26, 1902 ]

4. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

Thanks KENNYRAY,
    My first thought is; let's go back to those days--hold a shoot with the same fees and same payoffs-- just for 'old times'sake. Also use the same 'guns' and find some old paper shells still able to go--bang--! I know that's not possible, but maybe , just maybe, someday, have a--'NOSTALGIA Oldtime shoot, at least with guns no newer than, say--1930 or ? What interest would that shoot generate ?? Since all of our shoots now are --registered-- as the 'Border Bandit' previously questioned in a post, this 'Old timers shoot could not be, but that's not to say we can't have a 'fun shoot'. Right? Sam

5. Border Bandit

Thanks for clearing up the registered question, Sam. If I had paid attention, the $3 ATA fee would have been noticed. Added to that, Mike just gave me a call to make sure I understood that was the case. Also, I had mistakenly thought there was a conflict with the York Co 100 target league, the boys told me was gonna be at Carlisle. I'll make sure they understand there is no league shoot this Sunday and see if I can bring 'em along to Glen Rock. I'll pass the word at North Carroll on Wednesday evening. See you Sunday. BTW, I like the idea of a Vintage shoot.

best....mike

6. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

An "Old Time Sakes" shoot is a wonderful idea and would remain a part of your club's history forever.

You may know that Ansley H. Fox shot at Glen Rock a few years after he extablished the Fox Gun Company He was at the club during the short time he was a Winchester Rep.

Lester German the notable base ball pitcher who later became a professional shooter with DuPont was another who shot over Glen Rock's traps.

And your secretary Allen M. Seitz, was one of the club organizers, the York County Democratic Chairman, York County Champion a few times and served as vice-president and president of the Pennsylvania State Sportsmen's Association.

7. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

KENNY,
    I propose nomimating you an honorary historian for the Glen Rock Shooting Club. In fact, if you can make to our shoot this Sunday, I'll buy you lunch, hoping to get more historic club data!! Are we on? Sam

8. Border Bandit

BTW, the fellow in the straw hat, to the right, facing the camera...anyone else know who that is?

best....mike

9. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

Bandit,
    I'm trying to get you an answer identifying the shooter you have asked about. This photo is several years old, and we have not been able to get a name. Hopefully, George or Mike or John can help. Sam

10. Border Bandit

My question was: WHO else knows. I know: that's my pal Tom Ezolt. What did I win? ...grin

11. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

Sorry bandit,
    My misunderstanding of your post-- Mike Acierno called me yesterday after your post and said he thought it was Tom. How about a home cooked breakfast to start your day, and the same for Tom too, if you bring him along!

12. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

Just from the name of the shoot, I really should attend. But, it is a little far from home, although I do have relatives in the Allentown and Old Zionsville area. :)

13. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

If your post name tells us where you are from, UtahYork, I would encourage you to fly in to Baltimore (BWI) or Regan International and in less than an hour coming up Interstate 83, you can be at our club. We are just off I83 at Shrewsbury. Last year Phil Kiner was at our club for a 2 day clinic, and found the airport very convenient.

14. roger8918

roger8918 Member

We plan to attend....Great place to shoot.

15. Border Bandit

You bet we'll be there, Tom. How could I pass up a free breakfast?

CU There...

16. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

That's right---2 breakfasts coming up right after 8:30--plenty of coffee too! The menu probably will include eggs(any way), bacon, sausage, fried potatoes, and maybe an added item or two. Our cooks have their own store, and do a teriffic job cooking to please. You will not be disappointed. Their lunch menu is even better!!

17. Border Bandit

I got 4bx of shells for my win in the 16yd event, and think you owe me some for the win in Handicap. We had a good time, thanks for you're hospitality, and our pal, Billy for his thoughtful contribution of the ice cold watermelon. You did a good job keeping the storms away until after the shoot.

best....mike

18. atanra

atanra Member

Thought it was 6 boxes for 16s. You must have left early because it rained like Heck on Mike Asc doubles squad.

19. Border Bandit

Looks like they owe me more shells. Serves you right for shooting with Acerno... grin

best...mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.