1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

glaucoma & recoil

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dickgshot, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I did not seek advice from a professional because I figured the only thing they would tell me was to stop shooting. When I developed Posterior Vitreous Detachment in both eyes, which can be a precursor to a detached retina, I put every recoil device known to man-including a soft comb-on a Beretta 391. A year and a helf later I have had no further problems.

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Well.....I know that Glaucoma is an Italian shooter, but what does that have to do with recoil?

3. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Floaters, from what my doctor says, happen no matter what a person does. As eyes age the "jelly" in there starts to detach and move around. Sorts looks like dust. This is common and not related to shooting. Does it speed it up? Not sure. But floaters are very common. Dave T.

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

We once had an old timer shooting with us that was told to quit shooting due to a detached retina. His solution was a one ounce load in a paper case loaded with PB powder. They were so soft they wouldn't open his 1100. Ended up shortening the action spring for him to reduce action resistance. He shot with us right up to the time he passed away at about 85 years old & loved every minute of it.

Big Jack

5. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

TinMan, I was diagnosed with Glaucoma 4 years ago. My Dr. has me putting drops in my eyes twice daily to keep the pressure down. DO NOT, I Repeat, DO NOT listen to anyone but your own Dr. I still shoot weekly and have had no changes in my vision. I do try to keep recoil to a minimum though. he told me I could shoot as long as we saw no changes in my nerve pictures that he takes every 6 months. I go every 3 months for a pressure check. Good luck and remember Vision is a precious thing, don't screw with it.

Jimmy

6. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

TinMan,

I am an eyedoc. If you are simply using drops to lower your pressures,then it is likely a more common type of glaucoma and the recoil would not be an issue what-so-ever.

The inflammation is a slightly different issue and it would be nice to understand what the inflammation is from and what part of the eye it is occurring in, to even begin to speculate.

Please take the time to call and speak to your eyedoctor. He is the only one that is completely familiar with your situation and the only one qualified to advise you.

all the best,
    john

7. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Some will recall I had some pretty severe eye problems about 5 years ago - a detached retina in my only good eye which led to 5 surgical procedures and through the skills of the surgeons and the grace of God, I regained my vision in my good eye. That said, one of the first questions I asked the surgeon was "Can I shoot trap etc. or will the recoil bother the eye?" He told me shooting was not, in his opinion, likely to do any damage to the eye. He said the eye gets a considerable amount of jostling exercise when you read and a little recoil shouldn't hurt.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Recoil, unless it is very heavy, should not cause a problem with common glaucoma. Look up the spaces of Fontana and the Canal of Schlemm in a good medical physiology book, I still like Guyton.

But, glaucoma can result in other problems that might be aggravated by recoil. You need to keep spending money on both shot and a Ophthalmologist. I would advise you to also look at a Precision Fit Stock. I believe these funny looking things will reduce the recoil better than anything else.

I also strongly advise you to quit getting one day older every day. One day older every other day is fast enough. Remember, every day you shoot a 96 or better in doubles, you get two days younger. Try it and you will become a believer.

Pat Ireland

9. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Pat,

OK.Guyton? Now I'm impressed. Your thirst for knowledge never ceases to amaze me.

all th ebst,
    john

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.