1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

glasses with Rx inserts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himejim, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himejim

himejim Member

I know glasses are discussed here regularly and I have read some of the threads. I was hoping that I could get help from someone who has done some comparisons recently for shooting glasses with Rx inserts. I have another change in my Rx and in less than a year have to (again) either purchase new lens for all my favorite colors in my Decot frame or make a change to a frame an Rx insert.

Specifically, wwhat brands did you compare? Why did you pick the one you did? What would you change if you had to do it over again? Problems or inconveniences that you have to live with?

Where in WI or northern IL can I shop....?

Thanks for your time. Jim

2. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I used Decots for years then found a shooters set from Rudy Project w/inserts that I liked and used until I tried Hidefspex(Pilla).I wear Panther Posts w/Varia lenses and the Rx insert.I'll never go back.

3. Skiracin

Skiracin Member

I too have Rudy Project's and would highly suggest you check them out. They have a great product with great customer service organization that's based in California. Take a look online, they have some really nice kits with frame and multiple lens combinations or you can purchase what you need individually. Look around for a coupon code before you purchase.

4. GeneralJerry

GeneralJerry Member

Jim,
    I use Randolph Ranger XLW for my shooting glasses with prescription inserts. I now have two pair, and they work fine. Lens changes are fast and easy. I also have a pair of Rudy Project with their inserts. There presciption inserts are easily removable, and as I use them for mountain bike riding, they stay where they should, even when I don't.
    Can't go wrong with either though, and my optometrist says there's no problem with getting lenes made for the inserts if needed.
    I got my RR from a friend who was selling them, but you can get them through Frank Lohr at Morgan Optical.
    Good luck, you'll like em.

Jerry

5. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Jim, I use Randolf Engineering Sporters because of what you're
    talking about.

If there is a downside, they are somewhat heavier then a single
    lenses system. So my colored lenses clip on to the Rx.

Got mine from Texas Shooters Optical. Great to deal with. He has Rx
    glasses so he knew just what I needed. I had my Rx ground locally.

Mike C.

6. gotbass

gotbass Member

take a look at NYX shooting glasses. Neat Rx insert system and much cheaper when up have to change. Different colored lenses are cheap (20.00) and lots of choice. I had Post 4 before and they are a great product, but my Rx changes got a little spendy having to have Rx lenses in multiple colors. Mike

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do you see a change in your scores when your RX changes and you keep shooting with your old lenses? HMB

8. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

what are the rx insert's ? i was told the exam is key to the scrip. len's but do most of you just get that local and send off your rx and have the work done.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

More often than not the perscription the eye doctor writes down for you is not the best for trap shooting. HMB

10. himejim

himejim Member

HMB, Yes the reason I went for an exam, was because I was not seeing a clear target. The new script is pretty different so I want to get new lens in a variety of colors. I am tired of paying for colored lens that I get less than a year out of. So I have to make a decision and change to an insert system or just pay for many lens again.

I have what I think is a good Dr. who really gives a thorough exam including depth perception tests. I would be happy to get another exam from a Dr. that really knows trap but I am in WI and don't really go to any big shoots. I would travel into Chicago if someone knew of a good Dr.

Thanks all for your great feedback it is much appreciated.

11. Locke-N-Load

Locke-N-Load TS Member

What is the best way to get the best RX for trap shooting?

Thanks, Mike

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You don't need a special trapshooting prescription for inserts. I've had the NYX glasses for 8 years with the inserts, which are made Sved Optics in
    California. The inserts sit very close to your eye so you're always looking through the center. I have a bifocal in the insert that never gets in my field of vision, but my next ones will be progressives because I've found that I have
    no problems shooting with my regular progressive glasses.

The NYX glasses and inserts are very light, so that's not a problems like it is with adding an insert to regular glasses and frames. All you need to do is fax or email your prescription to Sved Optics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

prescription shooting glasses inserts

prescription shooting glasses with rx inserts
rx randolphxlw shooting glasses
shooting glasses with perscription inserts that are removable
shooting glasses with prescription inserts

shooting glasses with rx insert

shooting glasses with rx inserts
trapshooting glasses with rx incert