1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Glasses for color blind

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sharp1, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

My son is red-green color blind...Wanted to get him the right color of lenses. Any color blind shooters who could chim in on this? Thanks

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I'm not color blind but the president of our club is. He took a target into the Optometrist office to see what color lens made the target stand out better.

Ajax

3. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I am colorblind and have had decent results using the darker red tints- Vermillion, Hot Pink and Pink Blaze. Check with Mike Rinard at Post 4, he has some great colors.

4. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

I, too, am colorblind, red-green to be specific (there are types of colorblindness), and I find that vermillion or watermelon to be the best for me.

5. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I also am red/green colorblind. Deep Vermillion for bright days and a lighter Vermillion for overcast or dusky conditions. Works for me!

6. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Same for me. Vermillion is the way to go for red/green color deficiency.

Dave

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I am red green color blind, a color called salmon works best for me. HMB

8. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

I'm red green blind and use a color Decot designates BB-6 or blue blocker six. I use it in all daytime conditions and being 67 am in need of as much light as I can get. It is a ruby red, way past an ordinary vermillion. For me it turns an orange target nearly white, provides excellent contrast and I can readily read a target coming out, which I find critical.

9. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

I am 75-80% color blind (Ishara test) I use vermillion in several shades for orange or orange dome targets. Green targets disapear in the sky/clouds for me.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Just give 'em clear lenses and tell 'em they are red or purple whatever you like. LOL

I know it's not funny but i couldn't resist.

11. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

titan,,

you are a cruel dude...imagine going threw life unable to enjoy a sunset...

12. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I am color blind (more than just red-green) and have struggled shooting for years using the regular vermillion/purple lenses like those that are mentioned above. Then I decided to take a chance and buy some used Pilla Puma shooting glasses that have the different shades of hidefspex max orange. They are really expensive to buy, but they are well worth it.

I live in a really sunny area (Southern California) and I found that going to a max 20 lense is unbelievable. The targets actually glow with that lense, and the max 40 is almost as bright. And for someone that is color blind, it is a real eye opening experience. If you know anyone that owns some, give them a try.

13. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have red-green deficiency and what has worked best for me is Pink Blaze. Great all-around color for me. JM

14. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Vermillion are the best--Light Vermillion for darker days and a darker V for brighter days.

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I gave my brother in law my Vermillion glasses and that helped him very much . Question - do people know they are color blind at an early age since they give tests in most schools ??

16. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Mine was discovered when I put on a brown shirt for St. Patrick's Day when I was a little fella. I'm red, green and brown. And yes, I'm going to buy some vermillion glasses!

Rod

17. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Grntitan, that is just not funny. LOL. I will let my son Matt know you are throwing out jokes about being color blind as he is color blind. When we go to dinner next year I will let Matt sit next to you.

Great advice about the vermilion lenses. L&M did a great job of customizing lenses for my son.

Bud

18. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

I too am among those poor color challanged souls & Vermillion is a good option. As far as when you find out, it is generally some kind of test in school to confirm it but parents generally suspect it when they try to teach you colors as a toddler or watch you making poor color co-ordinated choices for clothes as squirrelkiller mentioned. Trust me - that DOES happen! As mentioned, there are verying degrees of this problem. You learn how to adjust so you can move on & not let it bother you. Minor inconvienence compared to what some people have to deal with.

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I'm also red, green. Also sensitive to bright sun. Bronze works for me for bright. Red or vermilion for green background or lower light.

20. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Karma's a bitch Matt.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best glasses for color blind skeet shhooters
color blind hunting glasses

color blind shooting glasses

colorblind shooting glasses
glasses color blind forum
glasses for color blind people to shoot trap