1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*****Glasses Fogging When You Shoot???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Easystreet, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Anyone here have trouble during real humid weather with their glasses fogging when they shoot? Back during the summer this was often a problem for me, but then I don't use any of the big name shooting glasses.

Will the Rangers, Post 4, or others fog up during humid conditions?

Do you use anything to keep the lenses from fogging up?

Thanks.

Easystreet

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I got a bottle of spray stuff from Doc at Elysburg that works well. ....mike

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I live & shoot in S. Florida and have never had a fogging problem. Maybe your glasses don't have any airflow around them.

Eric

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mike.

Eric: So what kind of glasses do you use that never fog up?

Easystreet

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I had that problem until I stated wearing the Decot HiWydes. The trick is to get the lenses away from your skin but still be in position for eye protection and correction. Side shields make the problem worse.

6. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Try cleaning your lenses with spray Rain-X. Not sure that will work but it does help when shooting in the rain. Repels water off glass surfaces.

milt

7. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Honest to goodness, there's a product out there named "Cat Crap". It's a superb coating for your lenses. Just Google the words, and you'll find it. I bought some at REI sporting goods. They have it in the section with ski goggles. I put it on the prescription inserts to my Ranger XLW's, since they sit closer to my face than the main lenses. I also put in on my Zeiss Competition glasses. Cat Crap has worked very well in both cases.

Rain-X has been criticized for damaging some tints on shooting glasses. THIS IS SECOND-HAND INFO, AND I CAN'T VERIFY IT'S ACCURACY. If you try Rain-X, try on some lenses that you don't care about.

Best,
    Dennis

8. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Go to a pharmacy and get some glycerin, smear your lenses with it, then polish off with a tissue or soft cloth. You can rub a bar of soap on them and then polish the lenses clear with the same results, as most soaps have a glycerin base. I have been keeping my glasses and goggles fog free for over 40 years using this method. You will have to repeat the process after washing the lenses.

9. ismah

ismah Member

EasyStreet, Change your glasses. I wear prescription glasses and have had a real hard time with fogging. Recently bought a pair from www.39dollarglasses.com with smaller lenses that fit higher on the bridge of my nose. Fogging has completely stopped. Scores have gone up. I tried Rain-X and other de-foggers and they irritated my eyes. Get some that allow air flow around them.

10. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I use Cat Crap.

FRedmon

11. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

For me I do not have a problem with fogging except when I'm sitting in my bow stand on a cold day with my scent lock head gear on. Little ventilation except for my breath. I wonder if cat crap or glycerin will help with that? They do make a new scent lock head gear that is supposed to eliminate the problem but I hate to buy another one since I already have three.

milt

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Easystreet,

I use Randolph Ranger glasses. Maybe it's a non-issue for me because I live in S. Florida where it's always warm.

Eric

13. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Easystreet,

Buy a bar of Ivory soap. I cut mine into 3/4 inch cubes and put 2 in a Rx bottle or a 35mm film can. (Remember film?...) After I clean my glasses I put a small smudge of Ivory on each side of the lens and polish it in with a very soft cloth or paper towel. No fog ever.

Bob Schultz

14. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

Ahh, Danny

15. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I hate to state the obvious....

but with everyone suggesting that you run out and spend your hard-earned money purchasing this or that to alleviate the problem, I have a likely solution that is FREE. Mixer's on the right track.....

Most shooters shoot in a baseball style cap, no?

Tip your hat brim back a bit - get it up off your glasses. The heat will go out the top and the lenses will clear....

And you'll appear to be a more friendly fellow.

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bob Schultz gave you the right answer. Works like a charm, no matter where you shoot and costs literally nothing....... Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

exhaling thru your mouth during humid weather will cause fogging more than anything. having air flow all around your glasses is important too. milt luther

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Soap works very well but I apply it a little different than others have suggested. At the club, I go into the restroom and wash my glasses with soap and water. A little soap remains and prevents fogging on the clean lenses.

Pat Ireland

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Get yourself a pair of real shooting glasses, like Decot's or others. Like wolfram said (above) the lenses are farther away from your face than regular "street" glasses, allowing better air circulation which will keep them from fogging.

John C. Saubak

20. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Most places that sell industrial safety supplies have a lens wipe for cleaning safety glasses. I use the lens cleaner that also has anti fogging in it. They come in little packages and you can throw several in your shooting bag. Be careful!!! They are about the same size as a condom wrapper, .... but this is a family friendly web site. ROFL Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting glasses that dont fog