1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Glass Alternatives to Lead????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DanR, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanR

DanR TS Member

If shot prices keep going up, I'm going to have to quit trapshooting and go back to golf. That will be a setback to both sports. Ok - it will just be a setback to golf. :)

Are any of you familiar with glass beads used in highway and runway painting? I know just a little bit about them because my father started and owned J.A. Reke Pavement Marking for many years, and we had a barn full of 50 pound bags of glass beads when I was growing up. When painiting, the paint machines dropped glass beads on wet paint where they stayed. The purpose of the beads was to make the paint markings reflective in car headlights. It's been decades since I've been around that, but as I remember them, the beads were similar in size to lead shot. Do you suppose it would be possible to use glass beads in shot shells?

Dan R.

2. smartass

smartass TS Member

Yes, indeed, is is quite possible.

3. Harold

Harold TS Member

If you go to the web site above and put 1 in cubic centimeters in the right hand column, then hit calculate, it says the density of glass is 2.6 grams/cc. By comparison iron is 7.86 grams/cc. Glass can be made as heavy as iron, but that is done by putting a lot of lead in it. So in my opinion it is not a very promising alternative.

4. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I dont think glass would hurt the barrel. Why dont you load up a box or two and let us know!! Just make sure you weigh out 1 ounce or 1 1/8 ounce and use a wad that it will fit in. You MIGHT be onto something but Im not convinced. We will await results.

Forrest

5. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

Probably wouldn't have enough foot pounds of energy to break a clay target...got me to thinking about something I did for a stray dog that kept coming around a few years ago....I loaded some soybeans in a shell...it worked great, just enough to pepper his butt @ 25 yards and convince him to pursue his love interests elsewhere.

6. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I was just thinking about a glass alternative to lead today. But guess what gents...I just bought 10 casses for the grand total of $379! Still...prices are skyrocketing as we all know...I think that glass is a VERY possible alternative.
    -Trappy

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Harold's density information answered this question. The density of glass was about 1/3 of the density of lead. Glass beads would have to have a density very close to lead to be an effective alternative to lead.

If the cost of shooting is a problem, the obvious answer is to figure out a way to earn more money. Today, it looks like that many shooters in the North could earn 10 bags of shot by shoveling some snow.

Pat Ireland

8. chessney

chessney TS Member

Pat good idea..But health care would sky rocket.Take a look around you at the club and let me know if you see any pot bellied shooters that could shovel snow for $$$....Ziggy

9. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

Bill Gardner:

You have the answer to the idea of target seeking shotgun shells. Use glass eyes (recycled) and they could do a seek and destroy on the target!!!

Gene

10. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Nintendo's new game platform "Wii" will eventually have a game that will replace lead, powder, $20,000 shotguns and the dreaded flinch. They have 210 games now so it'll only be a matter of time.

Ultimate Duck Hunting is a duck hunting game developed by Mid Carolina Media for the PC. The goal of the game is to shoot ducks and then collect them with hunting dogs, a concept similar to that of the classic NES game, Duck Hunt. Publisher Detn8 has announced that they are working on a Wii[1] version of this game.

11. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Looks like the fella above forgot to "duck" in that game.

12. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Glass is, as a practical matter, non-compressible. Hard to see this as a shot material even if you get beads hard enough not to shatter when choked.

13. richrob

richrob TS Member

With less denisty you would run into the same problems people have with steel, but worse. If the pellets hit the target, they will more than likely break it, but getting the pellets to the target may prove to be the hardest part. One would need to use much larger pellets in order to get enough mass for them to fly straight for 40 yards. Also you have to consider how large your pattern may be at that point, if steel shoots tighter than lead, will glass shoot tighter than steel? -Rich

14. break25

break25 TS Member

The ideal replacement for lead shot for TRAP SHOOTING would have to be.
    Inexpensive and as hard and dense as lead. Come in one size 8s so we can eliminate the 7 1/2, 8 debate. Biodegradeable and edible for birds and animals.

CHAZZ

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Use Used Primers instead!

16. DanR

DanR TS Member

Apparently, glass beads come in significantly different weights/densities. I talked to my brother who still owns/runs my dad's pavement marking business, and he said that he has some beads that 50 pounds will fill a 5 gallon bucket and others (larger) that take 100 pounds to fill a 5 gallon bucket. Unfortunately, the more dense beads are also significantly more expensive - like around $2.50/# vs. $.33/#.

I think this is worth researching more.

- Dan R.

17. oletymer

oletymer Member

I hope most people use them for shoot offs.

18. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Wouldn't using glass be dangerous? It's bad enough to need shooting glasses to ward off stray pieces of clay birds, but wouldn't powdered glass or shards be worse? Not that I am not for finding a cheaper product, but that seems like it would be bad.

19. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hi,

The big problem is the wad at this point. The wad has to be able to withstand the rub going down the barrel. Anything softer than lead would not matter.

Find a cheap wad and than we can shoot anything.

Take care,

Jim

20. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I have some glass beads that we use when painting cross-walks. I will measure some tonight, and let you know. They look about the size of #9.

Can you imagine skeet shooters shooting #9 glass shot? Might not be too bad since targets are closer at times!?!

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.