1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Giving wisely to charities!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bob Schultz, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

bobschultz_2008_030314.jpg

We,as Americans, give a lot to different charitable organizations. I do my best to qualify them a bit before I send any money. Above is a chart for your appraisal.

Bob Schultz

2. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Bob, thanks for posting that chart. I have been telling my mother not to give or buy from Goodwill for years but she insists that they help people. Maybe this will convince her.

The other thing people need to be aware of are the phone charities. My parents, 89 and 91 get calls from a number of Indian charities, purportedly Catholic Schools for poor Native Americans, asking for donations all the time. When you go on line they all seem to have the same address or area code and they are very reluctant to giving you their number or telling you how much of your money goes to help these poor children.

Thanks again.

Brownk80

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I appreciate the intent, but there's a lot of BS mixed in with the facts on this.

-Gary

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate, Gary? Bill

5. TF

TF Active Member

Don't ignore local charities. Local battered women's shelters, mentally handicapped associations and animal shelters. But as Bob says, it makes sense to check these out first also.

6. BryanF

BryanF Active Member

Wounded Warriors is another charity that is not very charitable. Great name but, if you want benefits you need to be on the board!
    JMHO

Bryan

7. Mapper

Mapper Member

For a more expanded list, one can go online and get a breakdown on about any National charity.

8. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Thoughtful post, especially when every dollar counts, thanks.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you get the phone call ask them to send their request by mail. HMB

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

My standard answer for phone calls from charitys asking for donations is "I do not respond to phone solicitations, please send me your information and request by mail." Have never had any of them follow up.

Eric

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I was going to leave a significant amount of money to several charities, but after looking @ their executive compensation & expense ratio--they were crossed off. The Salvation Army is number one on my list,too.

Phil Berkowitz

12. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Fifty some years ago, my dad was in the Army and stationed at El Paso, TX. A buddy in his barracks had a family emergency and had to go home. He didn't have the money to travel. The Red Cross offered him a LOAN, but made it very clear that it had to be paid back. Fellow soldiers passed the boot and got him home, no repayment was ever acceped. Dad never had anything good to say about the Red Cross after that.....

13. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Karla,

I was going to write a similar message but held off to see if anyone else had that experience with the R.C. I was in Asia in 1969 doing my government's business. My little brother was on leave to come over at the end of October but was killed in an auto accident. My immediate supervisor notified me of the emergency leave and put me in touch with the R.C. who fronted the money for a plane ticket but ONLY after I had signed an Allotment form to auto pay the loan back. I had just arrived on the 5th of October and was both out of leave time and out of money too so I was stuck. I checked around and flood/fire 'victims' are also required to pay back the R.C. any moneys they are 'given'. So where does all the money donated by the public go? Hmmm. To pay 'volunteers' and to keep offices open ( pretty upscale offices too. ) I've never given another buck or a pint of blood to the R.C. since. I go to Bonfils instead.

Don T

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

When I lived in NJ, I was a volunteer fire fighter, @ a major fire the RC, was selling coffee,food, etc. The Salvation Army was giving everything for free---the fire was an all nighter in Feb & it was cold, very cold.

Phil Berkowitz

15. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

If you are donating blood for some one, be aware that the blood costs the patient same amount that regular blood banks cost. If you want blood for some one, sell your blood to a blood bank and donate the money you get to the person needing it. When I asked the R/C about this, I was told that the money charged was for administrative and handling expenses. No more blood for R/C ever from me.

16. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

Before she died, my Mother was active in a women's organization that wanted to support a local hospital expansion. After looking into the construction plans and budget (I was working for an architectural firm at the time), I advised that her group should donate not money, but equipment for the new wing. The result was 100% of their generosity went to support the medical care, not design /construction fluff like a 4-story atrium, etc. -Ed

17. momma91304

momma91304 TS Member

I give exclusively to St. Jude--I even have them in my trust. I can't imagine having a sick child and not being able to get the medical care to save their life. David's mom

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

United Way is a hoax too. Our local UW chair always makes a big public deal out of how much money they get donated.

When one of the local entitlement agencies got money from the UW, the administrator promptly got herself new furniture for her office!

Hard earned money from people that thought they were "people helping people" just bought her high end furniture for her office!

19. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

My grandfather after being in the field for 27 days in WW2 was sent to a RC tent....asked to pay for doughnuts and coffee.

He never gave a dime to them and hated the organization for that stunt.

20. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Many years ago, most charities were volunteer driven. Most of that work is now done by very very well paid staff. The passion has left the organization, in many cases, and now the organization is more about sustaining those great jobs and less about helping those folks that need their help.

Phone calls from companies representing charities is one of the biggest scams out there ... in most cases the charity gets 10%. The rest goes to crappy wages for the people doing the calling and big profits for the company.

We limit our donating to local charities where we know how the money is spent. Bill Malcolm