1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GIVE US YOUR TIPS ON SHOOTING, GUNS, RELOADING!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Over the years a lot of us shooters have found out tips on shooting, guns, reloading etc. I would like this thread to benefit the newer shooters and possibly help out some of us veterans. Here are a few of my tips that you may or may not know.

Did you know to adjust the poi on an 870 all you have to do is get a large screw driver and tighten down the magazine cap. BY tightening it as much as you can, you can lower the poi anywhere by 1 to 6 inches.

Did you know that the 870 magazine cap will also fit on an 1100. just screw it on the 1100 and tighten it down and your poi will also change from 1 to 6 inches.

If you have a sloppy 870 or 1100 or 1187 trigger all you need is a match book cover or piece of thin plastic to take out the creep in your trigger. Take your trigger out of the gun, slowly pull the trigger and catch it with your other hand not to break anything. then pull the trigger and place a piece of thin cardboard or plastic in the opening and your trigger will have little to no creep.

To lengthen a stock, increase lop, all you need are plastic washers or spacers.

If you talk to someone about selling a gun, ask them to bring it out to the club to allow you to shoot it first.

There are no two guns that shoot exactly the same, regardless if they are identical models. Same with barrels.

Anyone else have some tips that you can add to this?
    Steve Balistreri

2. pdq

pdq Member

Now this thread is going to get interesting...........

Pete

3. rocktire

rocktire Member

Many people have trouble reloading the New AA high strength hulls (bright red or grey). If your loads are correct these hulls are very hard to beat. I use 17.2 grains Promo, NSI primer WJ wads with 1 1/8 oz shot. The trick to them is to increase your wad pressure and set you crimp starter so that there is hole about the size of a pencil eraser after crimp is started. This will prevent the hulls from being crushed and if you play with the settings enough you will not have any hole in the end of the loaded shell. You can also load all other hulls with the same settings. Good luck.

Another trick that I like to do is with the WJ wads or replicas there is sometimes a problem with the pedals being in the way or getting inside the shot cup. Put a couple bags of the wads in a pillow case and stick them in the clothes dryer for a few minutes the heat will cause the wads to mushroom out and they can be loaded with ease.

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

See the target break the target

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Never get serious with a woman who wants to shoot, it will cost you double and cause a lot of headaches and worry.

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Never ask about loads on ts.com, you will get admonished to buy a reloading manual, you can't trust internet loads, you can't change anything or do anything that is not listed in a book. Mixing powders on the other hand is encouraged and has the ts.com stamp of approval.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Never ask what choke you should use on TS.com.......

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I resize my hulls to .001" larger than the inside dimension of the P-W hull dies.

MK

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Hug that gun during set-up,call,trigger pull and beyond. Hug the gun and follow the target usung body english. That will keep your cheek down and prevent head lifting.

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Lots of good advice and tips so far. Keep it coming. Nothing beats experience, epsecially in the shooting sports.

Here's a tip_- If your shooting on a squad with someone that is messing up the tempo of the squad for whatever reason. Make a mental note or write it down and keep it in your shooting bag. This really helps especially when signing up at the state shoot when you are filling a squad. Take a look and see if this person is on that particular squad. Why have someone mess up a major shoot for you.

If you are shooting at a club facing East, wait until at least 11am before shooting. Have the sun overhead instead of shooting looking into the sun.

When going to a shoot keep a log of what traps are best to shoot on. Mention good and bad things about the club. Before long you will have a very beneficial log that you can refer to in years to come.
    Steve

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The main objective is to have a good time.

Master that and all other details become inconsequential.

12. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

If you want to get really good at trap, start younger.

Try to keep no more than fifteen tips in mind when calling for your bird.

When someone comes up after you've broken a 49 or a 98 and wants to tell you what you're doing wrong, smile and let the words fall on deaf ears.

If you shoot that perfect shot, alignment was perfect, load was perfect, lead was perfect and the bird flies away, simply state "another one flying on with its heart shot out."

13. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

If your "POPS" shoots better than you, accidently forget to put his trap gun in the truck when you go to the sportsman's club.

Just a trick I am getting ready to test out....

PS. I will have his trap gun hidden -- just gonna let him sweat it out-- gotta beat him fair and square

Kenny Uhlbeck

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Want to be a great trapshooter? Never get married, never have kids, and inherit a lot of money.

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"...Try to keep no more than fifteen tips in mind when calling for your bird."</i></blockquote>

<I>EUREKA!! The secret of life!</i>

I have too many things to remember on the line so the one I forget causes me to miss!

MK

16. team henges

team henges TS Member

Dont think about misses and you will do a lot better because if you miss and get mad it will make your scores get even worse. I found this out myself many times.

brendan

17. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Bad shots come in groups of three. If you make a fourth, it is the start of another three.

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

Buy a boat.

In fact, buy anything at all. Except a trap gun. Of course, no one buys one trap gun anyway.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.