1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Give us your great party horderves, Please?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Every Sunday, I shoot at Lakeview gun club in nearby Muskego Wisconsin. The owner Loreen Klauser runs her club like it was 1960. I love clubs like this.

Every Sunday, she usually provides a nice horderve for the shooters, and Gayle will also bake a nice desert for us too.

This past Sunday, she provided a great horderve that I would like to share with the rest of you.

She spreads Philadelphia creme cheese on a large plate. Then she spreads a jar of cocktail shirmp sauce over the creme cheese, then she provides Ritz crackers to dip the creme cheese and the shrimp sauce.

This is probably my favorite horderve as everyone loves it. Please try it, I think you will really like it.

I may be a class D trapshooter, but when it comes to food I'm class AAA all American status. Please share a special horderve that you prepare for special occasions.
    Thanks,
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

2. trw

trw Member

Take some green olives [they may be stuffed w/whatever your pref or simply pitted] and drain them & place in a bowl and then coat lightly with a high quality olive oil [I like the heavy dark green Greek or Italian oils], you don't need much. Then, in another small bowl mix onion powder, crushed thyme and crushed rosemary. You can be adventuresome w/the seasoning mix to some extent, but the onion powder is absolutely necessary and it does need to be powdered onion & not some other form. Pour that seasoning mixture over the olives and gently move them about until coated. You will not believe how good they are until you try it. They are even better if refrigerated over night. I like to use the large queen Spanish olives for this, but it works equally well with the smaller ones. On the larger olives I sometimes remove the pimento and replace it with a Capote caper or just stuff a capote caper in on top of the pimento, if there is room or a smaller non-parriel caper if room is tight.

Makes for some amazingly simple and tasty 'horse divers' and no one will have a clue how you made an olive taste that good. I'll forewarn you that they can become addictive.

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Mennonite garlic sausage fully cooked...then sliced and boiled in a beer/brown sugar mixture....tastes incredible!!

Ron Burr

4. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Bacon and horseradish deviled eggs topped with chives.

Bacon wrapped waterchesnuts.

Beer bread with Bacon spinach dip

See the pattern....... Lol

Brady Gies

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

My mouth is watering reading these. When we are done with this thread I will make a copy and give to the Mrs.
    Thanks,
    Steve

6. kenf

kenf Active Member

Depending on crowd size, brown 2lb of hamburger with an medium to large onion and drain the fat. Mix in a packet of taco or chili mix, or both depending on tastes, along with Jalapeno peppers, again to taste (I like hot/spicy, so I go overboard).

After everything is mixed up, add in a half to one pound of Mexican style shredded cheese, stir and bake until cheese melts or it could be put in a crock pot with the cheese before shoot starts and let simmer.

This eats well alone, or could add lettuce, tomato, taco sauce, etc. depending on the crowd.

7. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

Jalapeño pepper split length wise, fill with cream cheese, wrap with bacon, sprinkle shredded cheddar and bake. Best served after the shoot...; )

8. Michael.B

Michael.B Member

ABTs.

Ingredients: Jalapeno peppers, Philadelphia cream cheese, Drained Crushed pineapple, Lil Smoky Sausages, Bacon

Split jalapeno peppers in half down the length of the pepper and scoop out the seeds and veins. Mix cream cheese and pineapple. Fill pepper halves with cream cheese mixture. Press 1 Lil Smoky Sausage into the cheese. Wrap with bacon. Roll in brown sugar.

These are best cooked in a smoker, but you can bake them in a 350* - 375* oven until the bacon is crispy.

Be sure to scrape all the seeds and veins out of the peppers. That is where all the heat is.

You can get creative with the filling. eg: substitute the pineapple and sausage with chopped up crab meat, shrimp, etc.

Michael B.

9. Michael.B

Michael.B Member

Pig candy:

Coat extra thick sliced bacon in brown sugar.

These are best cooked in a smoker, but you can bake them in a 350* - 375* oven until the bacon is crispy. (About 1 hour.)

Michael B.

10. Guy

Guy Member

Costco out here has a 4 cheese and roasted pepper dip....it is a knock-out.

11. Michael.B

Michael.B Member

1 pound package of Jimmy Dean Sausage, 1 package of bacon, grated cheddar cheese, 1 small onion, 1 bell pepper, 2 Roma tomatoes, 2 tablespoons butter.

Dice onion, pepper, and tomato. Sauté in butter.

Make a square lattice weave with the bacon.

Roll the sausage out into a 10 x 12 inch rectangle. Sprinkle with cheese and sautéed vegetables. Roll into a cylinder. Place sausage roll on the edge of the bacon lattice and roll to encase the sausage in the bacon.

These are best cooked in a smoker, but you can bake them in a 350* - 375* oven until the internal temp is 160* and the bacon is crispy.

Slice and serve.

You can change the fillings to suit the mood.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For something special, we spread caramelized sweet onions on crackers. This makes a nice spread for fancier parties.

For those who have never tried caramelizing onions, this is a slooooow process. It will take darn close to an hour to do it right. And onions shrink a lot as they go through this process. I use at least two and sometimes three big Walla Walla Sweets. I also use a lot of butter, not olive oil. But that's up to your individual taste. Ditto for adding some brown sugar at the end. Depends on how sweet you want it. Conversely, you can use more potent onions if you want more 'bite' to them. The caramelized onions need to be kept warm, so serve with a warming dish. The candle kind works well.

For those who have never caramelized onions, click the link. And experiment a few times with one onion before attempting it for a party.

13. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Oh my God I'm starving! Great idea's.

14. Brian in Oregon

Senior Smoke, quote: <i>"She spreads Philadelphia creme cheese on a large plate. Then she spreads a jar of cocktail shirmp sauce over the creme cheese, then she provides Ritz crackers to dip the creme cheese and the shrimp sauce."</i>

We do similar, but the creme cheese is formed into a mound on the plate, and a wide, short knife is used. (Properly called an Hors d'oeuvre Spreader Knife.) This is because if the creme cheese is cold, the crackers often break. It also takes up less room than spreading on a larger plate. We also add a lot of cocktail (small) shrimp over the creme cheese before covering with the cocktail sauce.

15. cafowler

cafowler Member

Haven't had it in a long time, but an old favorite is Jalapeno Jelly over Philly cream cheese slab. The Jalapeno jelly doesn't taste anything like you'd expect. It's very tasty, served same as described in post 1, with some type of crackers for dipping.

My favorite is sausage stuffed mushroom caps. Buy shrooms that are 1"-2" in diameter, remove the stems, wash, soak in marsala wine overnight. Stuff with a mix of italian sausage, minced garlic, fresh grated parmesian cheese, minced/chopped up stems, mix it all up, about a table spoon/cap, but enough so it mounds out. Place the caps on a cookie sheet with the stuffing up, bake for 20 min's till the sausage starts to sizzle or brown. Don't eat till they cool a bit, these things are smoking hot and will burn the roof of your mouth right out of the oven, lots of juise in them. They are just as good cool. You can use mild or spicy Italian sausage to your taste. I'm sure you can find a better recipe description by doing a google search. Real easy to make up 2-3 cookie sheets ahead of time, bake all at once or spread them out. GF can whip out a batch of these things like baking cookies, nothing to it.

16. Brian in Oregon

One of our favorites is deer or elk sausage sliced and served with sliced cheddar cheese and crackers. If you're not fortunately enough to have deer or elk sausage, Hickory Farms will do. Very simple.

-------

Smoked salmon with creme cheese on crackers is popular. Stir fresh chopped chives into the creme cheese. Then put dollops of it on crackers. Add some smoked salmon on top. Looks fancy, but it's super simple to make.

-------

Valerie in Oregon has made a Mexican dip platter for three decades now that is very popular. Thinly spread a can of refried beans over a suitable, festive platter. Cover with avocado dip. Then cover that with a sauce made from sour cream with a half package of taco seasoning added. Cover with grated cheddar cheese or a mix of suitable cheeses. Top with chopped green onions, chopped tomatoes and sliced olives. It can be dipped directly with tortilla chips or if you chill it overnight you'll need a wide serving knife. If you need to take it to a party, it's best to chill it overnight if it cannot be kept perfectly level. This sounds complex but I've made it in a pinch and it's not difficult. Valerie is always being asked to bring this to parties.

--------

And another very simple hors d'oeuvre is to take a multi-compartmented platter and put different types of olives, pickles, pickle slices, pickled onions, and other pickled veggies in it, with toothpicks in the middle compartment. Looks fancy, easy and quick to make.

--------

Another simple horsd'oeuvre is to put some creme cheese on a small plate and cover it with jalapeño jelly.

17. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

One part butter, two parts cream cheese, mix thoroughly. Add I can of drained shrimp or shrimp pieces (fresh shrimp are good, too!), a small handful of finely diced chives, a healthy dash of Worcestershire sauce to taste. Mix thoroughly again.

Serve with crackers. For those who are diabetic, use sliced cucumber instead of crackers.

You can substitute smoked salmon for the shrimp, if you like.

18. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Spinach Balls

http://www.food.com/recipe/spinach-balls-146371

We substitute Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix (blue label) for the bread crumbs in this recipe. They are delicious and will disappear fast.

Gene in Illinois

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Steve. buy about a pound to 2 pounds medium sliced corn beef from the round or pastrami. Buy two packages of cream cheese and a bottle of hot sliced jalapenos.

on 1/2 a slice of the beef, slather thin layer of the cream cheese and on top on that layabout 3 jalapeno slices. roll up and stab it with a toothpick. That is about enough for a platter of what I call "Jalapeno Poppers" Call them "roll-ups" That is what they are. They will be a hot item with eveyone.

20. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

My wife makes these addictive little deals: Fry morels [or any mushroom] in butter, chop and mix with chopped crisp bacon and sour cream. Spread on the little rye bread slices. the best. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

loreen klauser