1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Give me top ten reasons to own Trap Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by krieghoffkrusher, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

From my sign on name you can venture which gun of the three I will be backing. I own two K-80's and have shot an mx-2000 on a regular basis for both singles and doubles. I prefer the K-80 over the Perazzi because in my view the gun is more reliable and is made of better materials. I know the leaf springs in Perazzi's are easy to replace but what are you going to do if your at the Grand American and your spring breaks in a shoot-off? Are you going to excuse yourself and replace the spring then go back to the line and continue without being shaken? I'd rather not have to work if the next shot is going to be the one that the spring breaks no matter how easy it is to replace. As far as better materials I feel that Krieghoff uses better steel than perazzi in the construction of their receivers. The finish on Krieghoff's is much more durable than Perazzi's blueing also.

I would definitely recommend you shooting a Trap Special before making the purchase. I know of more than one person that bought a trap special but sold it to return to their standard k-80. Some people love them, others can't get used to the high rib.

These are just my reasons why I chose Krieghoff over Perazzi but you have Perazzi shooters on the site who can give you the opposite view. I would shoot all three guns as much as possible then make your determination.

Good luck in your search.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I seems you have answered your own question. You have equal confidence in the 2 guns that you have tested. (MX 2000 & the K-80). To shoot decent scores the main ingredient for success would seem to be confidence and comfort in the gun you choose. These 2 guns have seemed to satisfied this need. Choose either one and you can't go wrong. They are both quality guns that will hold their value. Make your best deal and go for it!! Ed

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I really don't care whether you own a trap gun or not!

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Only one real reason, because you want it!!

5. mike b.

mike b. Member

Just out of curiosity, what do you own now? With your scores, you are not new to this.

6. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Because they look cool.....Life is short, buy what you like while you still can.

7. tj303

tj303 Member

I made the switch from a K-80 o/u to K-80 Trap special unsingle. I have been happy with Trap special. The view is radically different. Shoot one before buying!

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

How about; because, you shoot trap?

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

You deserve it and because your wife does not want you to get it ... what better reasons are there than those?

10. Terry Patterson

Terry Patterson TS Member

It is hard to believe that someone who has participated in this forum for some time, who owns and has shot the high end guns, really needs our help. On the off chance that is true then you know you need to shoot each. Apparently the only one of interest to you in that category is the K80 Trap Special. Last time I looked, DuPont Kguns has a demo program for (I believe) $100 to try one for a few weeks. Seems like a good option to consider.

11. RAU

RAU Member

jim-knee,

I do believe the swing dynamics of the Pgun vs the Kgun should help you make the choice thats right for you and you only. I for one can truley tell the diff. If you are compairing the K80 to the MX2000 you should also compair the K80 trap special to the MX2005. I for one prefer one over the other, I would also NOT be afraid to buy any of the above mentioned guns..ALL GOOD Thanks Rick
    Only thing better than shopping for a new gun is shooting one.

12. Fish Springs

Fish Springs Member

#1 Reason to own a Trap gun---'cause I wanted one to shoot Trap with my daughter.

Brand,cost, configuraton are all minor items.

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Well, maybe you could lease.

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

because it's a new gun. Duh.

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

jim_k, the advice I'm going to give may not resonate with you, but I'll give it anyway.

I own a Perazzi MX-2000 that I like very much, and just had made into a combo. Before I made my decision I got to shoot just about everything under the sun. I narrowed it down to the same two brands you have chosen, but selected the Perazzi because I felt it handled significantly faster in my hands. That is the only reason. I felt, and still do, the Krieghoff K-80 trap had some significant advantages over the Perazzi, and a huge disadvantage in the trigger.

Since you don't find much difference in the guns, I'd recommend you shoot them some more. If you still don't see a noticeable difference, I'd lean toward the Krieghoff K-80 Trap. Reasons:

1) I like the way the adjustable rib works. When you adjust, you are bending the barrel to shoot higher or lower. The byproduct of that arrangement is you retain your preferred bead alignment without having to adjust the comb. Since you are not adjusting the comb, you are placing the butt pad in the same position all the time, so you are not affecting pitch and perceived recoil. It's so simple really. Adjust your comb so the gun shoots straight left/right and you see the bead alignment your brain prefers. Then bend the barrel up to shoot higher, or release tension to shoot lower. Take it from one who is sensitive to the changes required by Perazzi's adjustable rib method.

2) you can set the Under barrel of the O/U to shoot where you want vis-a-vis the top barrel by changing the bottom barrel hanger. You can go from same POI as the top to quite a bit higher, in a couple of steps.

3) their dinky little choke tubes work well, much more so than you would expect, and WAY better than Perazzi's flush choke tubes.

4) wood is generally nicer.

The real downer to me was that absurdly complicated trigger. It does/will break, and then you'll have to send it to Ottsville, PA to get it fixed. I live less than 1 1/2 hour away and their repair turn around is while-you-wait for a trigger, but it still gave me pause.

Both the Perazzi and the Trap Special have ribs that move vis-a-vis the barrel, the exact opposite of the Trap. The barrel stays straight and the rib moves up and down in the front. That requires you to pivot the gun on your shoulder, which changes apparent pitch. It's noticeable. If you then adjust you comb to give you back the bead alignment you prefer, you change the vertical position of the butt pad in your shoulder pocket. These changes are small, but feel much larger than they are. It does take some getting used to. I'll also say that when shooting the Trap Special, you tend to see a whole lot of distracting iron in you field of view. that rib is huge and distracting, because you can see more than just the top of the rib. I only shot 10-12 shots from one, so I can't say if I'd get used to it. However, it's the only gun I ever shot that made me say to myself...what is all this stuff.

I know more now than when I bought my gun. I went for the Perazzi because the K-80 handled like a log (for me). Then, my shooting style required large gun movements. Now, only slight movements, so handling speed is much less important. Second was the trigger. I've had springs break on me twice in competition. The first time it took almost three minutes to fix, because I didn't know what I was doing and required assistance. I happened again a month ago and I was back on the line in 90 seconds flat. Two of my friends' K-80 triggers broke and they had to quit the event, then run it up to Krieghoff for repair on Monday. Both were ready to go for Tuesday's shoot, but the were out of action until then.

So there is my 2 cents. Hope it help, and I hope you enjoy your new gun, whichever you pick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.