1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

give me the 411 on Kentucky

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by al3526, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al3526

al3526 TS Member

looking toward the future...should i purchase kentucky land for future use. pls give me a feel for what Kentucky has to offer with respect to jobs, shotgun sports and hunting. looking at the Lexington area. all help and info appreciated. thanks al

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Fayette County land, (Lexington) aint gonna be cheap my friend ! Hope you have really deep pockets.

If you are looking for deer and turkey property you may be better advised to look at something in the western part of the state.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The Lexington/Winchester area can be a little pricey. It is a beautiful part of the state with all the horse barns and the university. Like shadow said, the western half of the state is more of the hunting/cheaper area to live. Jobs aren't quite as plentiful though. The hospitality in Kentucky is great as long as you ain't a yankee:)

ss

4. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

You have one of the premiere shooting clubs in the area. Bluegrass Sportsman league. They Have Trap, skeet, sporting clays , Rifle Ranges, Bird dog division.You name in the gun sports and it is there. You will be only about 40 minutes from Berea ,home of the Berea Gun Club,where they shoot every other weekend and have one of the best state shoots in the country.Beautiful area with plenty of shooting , night or day.

Terry Dean

5. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Short Shucker, You mean to tell me yankees are not welcome in Kentucky?

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Lets just say they treat you differently. Kinda like going to the in-laws that you don't really get along with. LOL. I didn't suffer from that issue, but know a few that took a few years to fit in.

ss

7. Pipe Layer

We can tolerate them if we have to.LOL

TD

8. highrib

highrib Member

I shot at Berea (just south of Lexington/Winchester)for the Southern Zone shoot in 09. Well set targets,well run shoot. Beautiful area, enjoyed the shoot and look forward to shooting there in the future.

Billy Wood

9. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

If I can find a way across the Ohio River, I think I will go shoot their state shoot.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Careful hoosier. They've been know to change their signs around to keep that from happening. LOL.

ss

11. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I built many of horse and tobaco barns in the Lexington and Winchesster area. Butifull are but very expensive. That area is not run buy the people of Kentucky but from money and politics of Washington and New York. The Law is very corrupt. If I remember right it is called the metro police. If you are from out of state and don't have inside ties then be careful. In the towns you may need a permit to wipe your but. All depends what county you live in. Also they have dry counties that don't sell alchol. Don't get caught going thru them if your out of state if you had a brew. Its ok to go their though if you want to buy some Whitelighting. Just make sure you try to get it thru a 3rd party. Believe me you don't have to tell anyone you are from a different state. They no it before you begin to tell them.

12. Pipe Layer

Hoosier has been slipping acroos the river for years to our state shoot. We've even tryed being rude to him and he still shows up:) Can't say much I was hatched a Hoosier.

TD

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Just watch the movie "Deliverance". That should give all the 411 you need about Kentucky. LOL

I live north of the great river.

The only Kentuckian worth a cra$, is one behind a fried chicken stand. And the leader whom taught them how to fry chicken was born in Indiana. LOL

Do you know how the University of Kentucky chooses which number to put on the back of their basketball players? The players SAT score.

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Haven't been to Berea for a long time now. I've shot the KTL State Shoot a dozen times or so through the years. Probably have to head that way this July now since they don't make all the Yankees shoot in the "crawdad hole" anymore. Also broke my first 100 in doubles in Hopkinsville.

Always treated with that famous southern hospitality.

15. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

that maybe their SAT scores , but its not their jail no. like the teams in cincy

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Any time I have been in Kentucky I felt very welcome, vacations--camping--shooting etc. even when just passing through & stopping for a meal or fuel. Friendly folks but I never did price land. Ross Puls

17. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

A little over 2 years ago we bought a smaller piece of land in Christian County, a bit east of Lake Barkley. I was able to buy it for about a grand less then asking price. I think it worked out around 2200/acre, the wife and I searched a lot and were happy to find this. Mixed woods and farmland. Half is rented out for farming now. A creek on the back, and one that is wet in the front. Our house is going up for sale in the spring. Retirement yes.

Everyone has been as nice as pie. Trap club in Christian County I had a fella invite me when we met in Wally World when he saw my Brittany Shooting Jacket.

Jobs are there (we checked) but it just depends on what you want to do. Very little union activity down there.

I agree that you are going to have to be in the western part of the state unless you want to pay 10 to 15 thou and acre. We looked for quite awhile. Now is the time to buy if you can I would say. Lots of parcels for sale down there now. Man resident landowners can do just about what they want when hunting on their own property. I was suprised at the laws for landowner hunting.

Good luck, check online for leads, then take a trip down there.

Everyone has been just wonderful there except for when fella that ummmh, was used to hunting (poaching) whenever he wanted. But we worked it out.
    Rick Gibbs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.