1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Girandoni Air Rifle - Interesting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bucko43, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting article about Lewis and Clark.

2. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I did not know all of this footage was available.. This is definately cool to watch.

I wonder if they made drawings of the parts of that repop rifle when they made them, they would have been complete fools if they didn't.

It would be a very cool project if you had the drawings. Trying to reinvent the wheel, and actually getting it round, can be a daunting task, and downright pointless if someone else has already done it.

The valve is the key to the whole shootin' match, and the ones that work right are closely guarded secrets. I have been looking for a viable design for an air rifle valve I could make for 30 years. There's way more to it than meets the eye.

Example: There are .50cal air rifles being made today that will kill a bison. They fire a 400 gr conical bullet at about 750 FPS. You get 2 shots out of a reservoir charged with 3800 PSI!

The Girandoni ran a .46 cal ball (about 140gr), at @600 FPS and would shoot 20-22 rounds from one filling of a 800PSI reservoir.... sufficient to kill 22 men inside of 60 yards!!! in 1790?

Boy we've advanced that technology a bunch!

The technology of these guns was lost because nobody took the time to document them when they were in existance. Nobody took the time to document Roman Cement either and it took over 1000 years for someone to figure it out again.

There is no excuse for this in this day and age. WE should be documenting everything. If we had the sum total of the knowledge that has been lost since we have stood upright we would be going to Saturn for lunch 3 times a week.

When the Grand Library in Alexandria burned, it took out the single repository of knowledge from the old world. As other librarys have burned their knowledge has disappeared as well, erasing major blocks of time from future study thruout time. Where would we be now if we had somehow preserved that knowledge?

I fear our ways of storing data today will prove to be even more fragile than paper and parchment. Then the next civilization will have to reinvent the wheel all over again.

Time marches on. It would seem nothing is new.

Randy

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

oh yeah..still lots more can be wrung out of those air pushers....wont be surprised one day if they get stout enough that the gun laws are revised to cover them too...oops..I better shut up before some dum politico gets an idea

4. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Calvin, sorry to tell you, but it's already a fact in some states.

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

The message that I took away from the article is that the "Implied Superior Firepower" was enough to keep the peace.

That's what the second ammendment is all about. Keeping the peace.

6. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Mr. Buchanan, I fear you are precisely correct. If you have read "Cyber Wars" you will quickly realize how utterly and hopelessly vulnerable we are to the simplest and most rudimentary cyber attacks. We are entirely dependent on cyberspace for our existence in the US. We know we have been compromised because it is in the best interests of various potential attackers to let us know from time to time that they can "own" us almost at will.

I hope I don't live to see it. But two books that were fascinating eye openers were "Cyber Wars" as I have already mentioned and "The Next Hundred Years" - both excellent and spellbindingly fascinating reads.

Best,

Doc

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I buy air rifles and some states require an FFL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.