1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gift Horse Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by todddietrich, Jul 30, 2013.

1. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

I recieved a call from a relative last week. He had a model 12 that they thought I should have. My uncle bought a model 12 from an old trap shooter sometime in the mid 1960's. I drove down and picked it up yesterday, and it is a one of a kind. The story behind it was, he was shooting pigeons in the barn with some light hand loads and stuck a wad in the barrel. He shot again and blew the barrel up in the last few inches of the barrel. My Grandfather was a gun smith and made him a new barrel, I think he might have just cut it down. It looks like a cylinder bore. The trigger guard and feed tube are chromed. It has custom wood. If you rattle it just right, I think you can call squirrels. I took it over to Stu Wright this afternoon, and Stu's expert opinion was "Money Pit". The list of thing's wrong, were longer than good. Stu was thinking Bishop's wood. I don't know. Any opinions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

Money Pit? Yes. Leave it as a family keepsake and shoot it (if safe) occasionally for sentimental reasons. Your money is better spent elsewhere. Lyle

3. todddietrich

Stu checked it out, and it won't blow up. He said the trigger latch needed replaced as the timing was off. It may see a little skeet, just for play.

They have a back log of work, so I'll wait for a bit.

regards,

Todd

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The wood is either Bishop or Fajen. They both used that style with no checkering a lot

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Shoot it, there isn't any such thing as a bad Model 12, just some better than others ... I wouldn't spend much money on the gun if its operational as is ... If that gun could only talk ... You can buy a barrel on EBay for about $200.00 and make it a great field gun ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

You didn't show us the barrel. There is nothing wrong with the wood.

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of barrels available. PM me if you are interested. JM

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

You can make an interesting scavenger hunt project...find deals on the pieces and parts over time to bring her back to life is what I would do if mine,..it beats blowing your pocket change on booze and broads

9. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

I have a very tight model 25 for sale. $300, anyone know if the internals are the same as a m12? It hasnt been shot much and the parts could be a source to replace your internals. The receiver and barrel are not compatible, but everything else is, isnt it?

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Whats wrong with a cylinder bore M12? Maybe not the thing for trap but I can think of lots of other possibilities. Old guns need love too.

11. todddietrich

I have an original '73 Y model, that is getting a good cleaning at Wright's in the next few days. I am hoping to use it in the Model 12 shoot during the Grand. I also have a model 1912 that must have spent the best part of it's life in a closet.

The "new" one is about a '56. You asked about the barrel, It has a Simmon's rib. My Grandfather scavaged the barrel from somewhere. He must have used a different reciever extention. He polished off the serial number from the extention. The barrel is loose in the extention. The collar on the chamber needs replaced. The adjustable collar on the barrel is out of adjustment. They originally made the collars as an A, B or not marked. Mine is not marked. They made some later ones that were numbered 1-9. I asked Stu how you figure out what number collar to use. He said the quality control was hit or miss. He has a bucket full that he just keeps trying until he finds the right one.

I went to midway USA and watch a Larry Potterfield video on how to remove the barrel from the extention. He used a barrel vise and a special 3' long wrench. I can turn this one by hand.

My Grandfather stamped our last name in the barrel. The funny part is it says "DIETRCH" He forgot the second "I". I will not part with this barrel. My uncle said Grandpa was in his 70's when he did it. He made a number of barrels in his day, this is the only one that I have. Grandpa patented a left handed safety for the model 12. He also built a rifling machine for deer slugs. You had to use his slugs. He had a press that swedged deer slugs from .69 cal round ball. They were 1 3/8 oz. and would rock your world.

From talking with Stu Wright, the biggest part of the Money Pit, is the inside of the reciever. The Model 12 when closed, cams the bolt up into the reciever. The front edge of the notch in the reciever is starting to round out. The quick estimate from Stu was $600-$700 to rebuild. This was without a barrel.
    Stu said it wont blow up, but needs an action slide lock to be safe. The hook is worn. I found a few on Ebay, or I am sure Wright's has one too.

[​IMG]