1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Gift for a shooting mentor?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by T.A.K., Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.A.K.

T.A.K. Member

I need help trying to decided on what to get my trap shooting mentor as a gift.

I never had anyone in my family who shot and about three years ago I just sort of picked up a gun for the first time in my life and fell in love with the sport. The guys at my club are great and supportive but there's always been one man who has been my teacher from the first moment I picked up a gun until now.
    The other day he stood out on the line with me and helped me readjust my gun (it had been bashing me in the face really badly). He and I sorta had a Mr. Miyagi/karate kid moment and I realized how much work this guy actually has put in teaching me.

So I'm trying to figure out what sort of gift to get him. I don't really have a dad so I wouldn't know what he would like and no one else in my family shoots so I don't have any experience picking out a gift from that angle either.

Any suggestions for a gift for one of the greatest shooters I know?
  2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

See if the trap club he most frequents has either gift certificates or if you can purchase trap practice tickets for him.

Another idea is a gift certificate to a favorite restaurant for him (and I presume a spouse).
  3. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

The best gift would be to tell him that you appreciate his interest and his efforts. Thank him for making a differnce in your life.
  4. T.A.K.

T.A.K. Member

I need help trying to decided on what to get my trap shooting mentor as a gift.

I never had anyone in my family who shot and about three years ago I just sort of picked up a gun for the first time in my life and fell in love with the sport. The guys at my club are great and supportive but there's always been one man who has been my teacher from the first moment I picked up a gun until now.
    The other day he stood out on the line with me and helped me readjust my gun (it had been bashing me in the face really badly). He and I sorta had a Mr. Miyagi/karate kid moment and I realized how much work this guy actually has put in teaching me.

So I'm trying to figure out what sort of gift to get him. I don't really have a dad so I wouldn't know what he would like and no one else in my family shoots so I don't have any experience picking out a gift from that angle either.

Any suggestions for a gift for one of the greatest shooters I know?
  5. Brian in Oregon

See if the trap club he most frequents has either gift certificates or if you can purchase trap practice tickets for him.

Another idea is a gift certificate to a favorite restaurant for him (and I presume a spouse).
  6. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

The best gift would be to tell him that you appreciate his interest and his efforts. Thank him for making a differnce in your life.
  7. T.A.K.

T.A.K. Member

I know the club we shoot at offers ten round practices, I had thought of that, but another member pointed out to me that he hardly ever shoots practice. I always see him shooting either league or registered ATA. I feel like I tell him a lot that I appreciate what he does, but in my opinion it's not enough.
  8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

I am with tarhawk. The best gift you could possibly give him is to tell him how you feel about him.
  9. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Tak; A new wrist watch and every time he looks at it he will remember you and smile.
  10. Brian in Oregon

OK, then, how about a framed photo of you holding your gun in your trapshooting outfit signed by you, thanking him for his help? One of my favorite plaques on the wall is a modest one thanking me for my five years as a scout leader.
  11. tudurgs

tudurgs TS Member

A firm handshake and a customized shooting vest
  12. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

The best gift you can give him is the gift of listening to what he says and go out and win the first trophy, or when you shoot your first 25, 50 or 100 straight he will be beaming with pride for what you have accomplished.
  13. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Call Tilden Trophies and Have A "Nice" Belt Buckle made for him. Not to big Not to small. Top ribbon has Presented to--Name----- below that 2nd ribbon says Thanks for being My mentor. Center (YEAR) bottom ribbon Your Name Jim Beasley at Tilden is a great guy And will help you with a design. Around 60.00 Rectangle Buckle Nicer Looking than oval. JMHO Tilden's Number is 1-800-350-3315
  14. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Member

A shell box holder with his name? he will take something like that more so than monetary,,, to his grave
    just my opinion.
    Dave B
  15. tachyon

tachyon Member

The heartfelt thank you note is the best.

Another option would be a glass target ball from the early days of trap shooting. You can find them on ebay or other auction sites and mount it on a small stand. Every time he looks at it a smile will cross his face.
  16. LFT687

LFT687 Member

TAK,

Good post. We all probably have someone we need to thank for something. Why not pay his tab the next time he shoots a registered event, or sign up to shoot league with him?
  17. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Wow, that's an interesting one.

I have helped many to learn to shoot - even a few to shoot better, and as has been said a truly heart felt 'thank you' is all that is needed.

That being said, one friend gave me a a brass and copper weather vane in the shape of a side by side shotgun.

WAY COOL

I'll try to find the company and send you the link.
  18. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes TS Member

What a great post, with many good suggestions. I know another fellow and I work with MIT in our college shooting program. Each Christmas we have received a thank you note signed by the shooters and maybe a lunch or this year an MIT cap. Can't tell you how much it means and we're the only team that has that relationship. Super nice people to work with. I remember thinking a couple of weeks ago when they were shooting how "this is more enjoyable than playing golf with the guys at the club". It's a great sport with some wonderful people,enjoy it while we can. Bob
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.